BillO

Attachments
« on: May 25, 2022, 11:27:49 PM »
Can anyone give me an idea as to why I can't upload attachments?

I tried uploading a small jpeg file (85KB) earlier and got a "Upload folder is full" error.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 11:29:42 PM by BillO »

Offline Clyde Frog

• [kʰlaɪ̯d fɹɒg]
    • View Profile
Re: Attachments
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 04:35:54 PM »
Why would you upload a jpeg when places like ImgBB exist? Seems wasteful to take up hosting space for people to upload image files here, when so many hosting sites already exist that are purpose built for serving up images.

BillO

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 08:32:04 PM »
Good question.

Because when you upload an image it is becomes a permanent asset of the forum.  If you use some cloud image DB, it can go away for a number of reason and all the forum is left with is a broken link.

Offline Clyde Frog

• [kʰlaɪ̯d fɹɒg]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 08:45:53 PM »
That can happen with the attachments folder during a forum update, too. Nothing is permanent. I'm more of a mind that allowing attachments introduces unnecessary vectors for problems, and they should probably be disabled entirely. Having your images hosted with an image hosting service seems like a better home, and it allows the forum to operate with a lighter footprint on its own host.

BillO

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 10:14:39 PM »
Fair enough.  I can host it myself.  It's too bad though that there is no interest in resolving the issue.  It might of course just be an anti-BillO thing.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 06:10:21 PM »
It's too bad though that there is no interest in resolving the issue.  It might of course just be an anti-BillO thing.
For what it's worth, I can assure you that's not the case. We're spread a little thin right now, but we'll get to it when we can.

However, I'd generally agree with Clyde Frog's opinion here - uploading images to something like imgur or imgbb is generally preferable.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 06:33:23 PM »
I've doubled the attachment directory size limit for now. Should be working again.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

BillO

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 04:45:29 AM »
However, I'd generally agree with Clyde Frog's opinion here - uploading images to something like imgur or imgbb is generally preferable.
As much as I'd like to agree with you, I can't.  Relying on those beyond your influence to maintain your content is just .. well I can't find any positive adjectives that match my real life experience.  I can't guarantee I will post anything you will want to keep but broken links just tend to reduce the overall experience.

BillO

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 04:46:38 AM »
I've doubled the attachment directory size limit for now. Should be working again.
Thank you for looking into this.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 04:49:09 AM by BillO »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 04:52:40 AM »
Relying on those beyond your influence to maintain your content is just .. well I can't find any positive adjectives that match my real life experience.
The problem with your logic is that if everyone tries to rely on our upload capacity, we'll run out of space again in no time (luckily hardly anyone ever does, because most Web forum users are not used to the luxury of having it at all). Maybe we'd double it again then. However, eventually, this would likely mean deleting old attachments to make space, and... welp.

I should highlight that this is not a controversial position - we were simply informing you of the status quo. As Clyde points out, most forums don't allow uploads at all because storage is limited. It's a debate that's been largely settled back when forums were, well, popular.

If you really care about broken links, you can always throw a tiny bit of pocket change at your own storage solution. That way, the people responsible for [that part of] your content are entirely within your influence.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 05:10:01 AM by Pete Svarrior »

BillO

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 05:33:05 PM »
If you really care about broken links, you can always throw a tiny bit of pocket change at your own storage solution. That way, the people responsible for [that part of] your content are entirely within your influence.
I actually do.  The problem is if I decide I don't want to do that anymore.  Not that my content will likely be anything you'd be overly keen to keep around as I am pretty sure I will never post anything that will promote the concept of a flat earth.  However, I am a member of at least 10 similar old-style forums where my contentment is considered more valuable.  Out of those only 1 other prefers users to use off-site storage.   I know everyone is entitled to run things the way they want but from my personal perspective it just seems to be a bit of a strange policy.

In any case, if it will help I'd be willing to fire of a few $ to xasop to help pay for costs.  I encourage others to do so too.  Do you have a place/email address where donations can be sent?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 06:47:26 PM »
In any case, if it will help I'd be willing to fire of a few $ to xasop to help pay for costs.  I encourage others to do so too.  Do you have a place/email address where donations can be sent?
That, too, goes directly against our principles. We started this site with a pledge that it would be free, and I don't think we have any reason to back down from that pledge.

Even though we accept no money from anyone, we're repeatedly accused of profiting from the FE movement. Imagine how much worse that would get if we did accept money.

To recap: the argument isn't that you, personally, shouldn't use attachments (indeed, we did our best to enable you to do so for the foreseeable). It's just that if everyone did that (which, luckily, is not the case), we'd probably eventually hit a point where deleting things might be necessary. It might take another decade, but the risk is there. If lack of control over your content is your issue (as you claimed), then taking that control yourself is your best solution. Alternatively, you can keep using the attachments feature, which is now once again available to you.

The problem is if I decide I don't want to do that anymore.
If you choose to stop hosting your content... well, I can't help you with that.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 06:55:34 PM by Pete Svarrior »

BillO

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 06:58:45 PM »
If lack of control over your content is your issue (as you claimed), then taking that control yourself is your best solution.
All other points taken and thank you for looking into my difficulties.  I promise not to abuse the facility.

However, I would like to point out the lack of control I alluded to was yours (or this site's).  If content presented or appearing here is hosted elsewhere, then it's not in your control and could disappear at any time.   That is all I meant.

Thanks again for fixing the problem.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 07:13:24 PM »
If content presented or appearing here is hosted elsewhere, then it's not in your control and could disappear at any time.
That is, in many ways, preferable to the burden of moderating people's attachments for content that may be illegal to distribute.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

BillO

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2022, 12:54:27 AM »
That is, in many ways, preferable to the burden of moderating people's attachments for content that may be illegal to distribute.
Got it.  I can see where that might be an issue, especially where some members might be disingenuous (as in scammers and trolls).  FWIW, I will only upload my own works.  Anything else will be attached from source.  We may not agree on the universe, but rules are rules, and laws are laws.