Van Allen Radiation Belt
« on: June 15, 2019, 03:39:46 PM »
Hello everyone.

I have watched few flat earth theory videos and would like discuss it. Unfortunatelly I cannot provide links. It was weeks ago when I watched these videos. I found this forum by coinsidence and decided to post my doubts.

1. If the world is really flat, what is the purpose of telling everyone it's round?
2. If Van Allen Radiation Belt cannot be passed that means no Alien can come to earth. But there are a lot of Allien and UFO discussions that they visit this earth.
3. One of the videos even said that meteors cannot even reach earth that they would turn to dust before they reach to earth. If this is true how come a meteor killed the dinasours.
4. If Nasa lied about going to moon this means Russia and Elon Musk also lied. But why? USA may have decided to lie but why Russia would tell the same lie?
5. I would like to know the role of the north pole in this.

6. One of the articles said Allen Radiation Belt is 100 billion times more effective then hiroshima. No human can go beyond low earth orbit. Basicly we are trapped in Earth. Muslims have given example from a book written 1500 years ago and link it to Allen Radiation Belt. It goes something like this:
Society of Jinn and Humans! If you can pass through the bounds of the heavens and the earth, go ahead and pass. But you will not pass except with authorization. Even if we had opened a gate for them from heaven, and they had begun to ascend through it higher during day time, they would not believe and say "Our eyes have been dazzled; nay, we have been bewitched. Then they say that time is not same inside the earth and outside the earth. In earth time is 1000 times slower.

I would appreciate your thought. I think it is possible that earth is flat but I am not convinced fully.

Offline Tim Alphabeaver

• That's no beaver
    • View Profile
Re: Van Allen Radiation Belt
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 05:47:46 PM »
About the Van Allen belt - I think people really overhype how radioactive it is. According to wikipedia, the maximum radiation dosage an apollo astronaut received was 1.14 rads, which is less than 2 roentgen (not great, not terrible). It's not life-threatening, but it's a serious enough health risk that it can't just be ignored. Apparently it wasn't a serious enough health risk to give up beating Russia in the space race.
**I move away from the infinite flat plane to breathe in

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 08:30:03 PM »
About the Van Allen belt - I think people really overhype how radioactive it is.
People also don't seem to understand how easy it is to block the radiation.  The Van Allen belts are mostly alpha (protons) and beta (electrons) particles.  Alpha particles are easily blocked by skin or paper and beta particles can be blocked by thin sheets of metal.  Neither particles are particularly hazardous unless ingested.  Gamma, cosmic and X-rays are the types of radiation that generally require the heavier shielding.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 01:36:44 AM »
There's also this thing I read about where they timed Apollo to go through the belt at the night side of earth (apparently lessens the radioactive exposure) and also to slingshot through the outer band (apparently the inner band is more harmful). Point being, all of this was worked out by white coats with sliderules well before humans were 'exposed'.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 04:03:50 AM »
1. If the world is really flat, what is the purpose of telling everyone it's round?

I wondered about that before. Mark Sargent like to bring that point up a lot. But if the Earth is flat and there is no space, how does the Van Allen Belt fit in? It wouldn't matter, would it? With no space travel there wouldn't be that problem.

I found this short video that explains the Van Allen Belt quite well, talks about the type of radiation, and how to shield it, and the effect on humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNiscigIgBc

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 07:22:40 AM »
6. One of the articles said Allen Radiation Belt is 100 billion times more effective then hiroshima. No human can go beyond low earth orbit.

To suggest that we're limited to LEO BECAUSE of the VABs is to admit the Earth as a sphere. An orbit is a path around a sphere or globe. Once someone admits that LEO is a "thing", then they have, by implication, admitted Earth as a globe or sphere as a thing.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 08:51:59 AM »
6. One of the articles said Allen Radiation Belt is 100 billion times more effective then hiroshima. No human can go beyond low earth orbit.

To suggest that we're limited to LEO BECAUSE of the VABs is to admit the Earth as a sphere. An orbit is a path around a sphere or globe. Once someone admits that LEO is a "thing", then they have, by implication, admitted Earth as a globe or sphere as a thing.
There's an irony in FE people using the Van Allen belt as part of their "proof" that we never went to the moon.
The Van Allen belts were discovered by an experiment on Explorer 1, the first US satellite. And further experiments on other satellites were used to learn more about them:

https://www.space.com/33948-van-allen-radiation-belts.html

The very reason we know about this radiation which some FE people use as part of their evidence, and moon hoax people definitely do, is because satellites were sent up to orbit the earth and discovered it. These were NASA satellites too, why the hell would NASA even publicise the existence of "impossible to traverse" belts of radiation and then claim they had done just that during the moon landings. The amount of radiation the Apollo astronauts experienced while doing so is publicly available and there is some indication that it had an adverse affect:

https://observer.com/2016/07/space-radiation-devastated-the-lives-of-apollo-astronauts/
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 07:02:09 AM »
6. One of the articles said Allen Radiation Belt is 100 billion times more effective then hiroshima.

What does it mean? Hiroshima is a city in Japan. What means more effective in this context? They don't mean the nuclear bombs, or? That would be rather silly. It's a different type of radiation and the Van Allen Belt has no pressure or heat impact.

Muslims have given example from a book written 1500 years ago

I don't think there anything useful in that book that helps with this topic.