Offline AMann

• View Profile
How do we know the Earth is spherical?
« on: January 31, 2016, 07:21:39 PM »

Offline Icaruss

• View Profile
Re: How do we know the Earth is spherical?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 07:23:49 PM »
Forum Rules for the older members and Admins that need a reminder:
http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=977.0

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 07:28:26 PM »

Propaganda is a fierce mistress.

A statement with no meaning - how unexpected...

Offline Icaruss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 07:31:46 PM »

It's not supposed to have meaning.

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »

It's not supposed to have meaning.

I was being sarcastic about it being unexpected lol
I would ask 'why make a comment that has no meaning?' but I do realize there are those who just have to say something :)

Offline Icaruss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 07:56:37 PM »
I would ask 'why make a comment that has no meaning?' but I do realize there are those who just have to say something :)

The vast majority of things said have no meaning to find meaning we have to look at calculable observations and reasonable interpretations.

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 07:58:35 PM »

The vast majority of things said have no meaning to find meaning we have to look at calculable observations and reasonable interpretations.

That merely means that the majority of people fall into that category of those who say things, because they need to say something :)
Typical of someone who has nothing to contribute and yet can't help that they need some spotlight.

Offline Icaruss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 08:02:23 PM »
That merely means that the majority of people fall into that category of those who say things, because they need to say something :)
Typical of someone who has nothing to contribute and yet can't help that they need some spotlight.

I'm not really demanding the spotlight when I have an audience of 1. And no, you're assuming that some people exist who never say anything unless it has meaning. All people fall into that category, the majority of things said by all people has mo meaning.

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 08:12:23 PM »

I'm not really demanding the spotlight when I have an audience of 1. And no, you're assuming that some people exist who never say anything unless it has meaning. All people fall into that category, the majority of things said by all people has mo meaning.

A lot of misinformation in your statement.
This post already has 40 views, so you obviously have a bigger spotlight lol.

There certainly are people who make it a point that their words actually mean something.

Your statement that the majority of things said by all people has no meaning is a generalization and you have no evidence to implicate "all" people into the statement.

You are simply trolling, but hey, it keeps this thread at the top of the board :)

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 08:48:20 PM »
That video is just embarrassing, even by RET standards. It's fallacies from beginning to end. The #1 reason we know the Earth is round is because we have pictures of it? Does this mean RET endorses the existence of the Loch Ness monster, aliens, ghosts, and bigfoot?

lol
How many pictures of Loch Ness, aliens, ghosts and bigfoot are there out there? I do not have an exact answer, but I will say 100 (and that is probably generous). How many of these pictures have not yet been shown to be frauds? 0. There are no viable photos of Loch Ness, aliens, ghosts, bigfoot, etc.
How many pictures of Earth from space are there? Millions. And while there are always some people who can put up manufactured pictures, the pictures from reputable sources do not have a single picture that has been shown to be a fabrication.

If that is your best retort to the video, you do not have much of an argument... only denialism.

Offline Icaruss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 08:54:19 PM »

There certainly are people who make it a point that their words actually mean something.

Your statement that the majority of things said by all people has no meaning is a generalization and you have no evidence to implicate "all" people into the statement.

You are simply trolling, but hey, it keeps this thread at the top of the board :)

Why can't I be 35 of those views and you 5? Am I not allowed to look at a thread many times? I actually do have a factual bases for saying the majority of things said by all people have no meaning. The majority of communications between people is of a personal nature and is therefore meaningless. You have assumed people only communicate in a professional manor when in reality we spend most of our lives communicating in a personal manor.

Declaring someone a troll is a copout to providing an actual argument, you're basically saying "I can't argue with you so I will declare myself the winner and move on".
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:57:48 PM by Icaruss »

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 02:05:24 AM »

Why can't I be 35 of those views and you 5? Am I not allowed to look at a thread many times? I actually do have a factual bases for saying the majority of things said by all people have no meaning. The majority of communications between people is of a personal nature and is therefore meaningless. You have assumed people only communicate in a professional manor when in reality we spend most of our lives communicating in a personal manor.

Declaring someone a troll is a copout to providing an actual argument, you're basically saying "I can't argue with you so I will declare myself the winner and move on".

I made no such assumption. And communication in a personal manner between people does still have a purpose. Your statement had no such purpose and as you admitted, your statement had no meaning, ergo, the only reason to speak was simply to say something or get a reaction, which is the very definition of a troll. Your comments are not even on topic, so not welcome.

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 02:05:36 AM »
That video is just embarrassing, even by RET standards. It's fallacies from beginning to end. The #1 reason we know the Earth is round is because we have pictures of it? Does this mean RET endorses the existence of the Loch Ness monster, aliens, ghosts, and bigfoot?

lol
How many pictures of Loch Ness, aliens, ghosts and bigfoot are there out there? I do not have an exact answer, but I will say 100 (and that is probably generous). How many of these pictures have not yet been shown to be frauds? 0. There are no viable photos of Loch Ness, aliens, ghosts, bigfoot, etc.
How many pictures of Earth from space are there? Millions. And while there are always some people who can put up manufactured pictures, the pictures from reputable sources do not have a single picture that has been shown to be a fabrication.

If that is your best retort to the video, you do not have much of an argument... only denialism.

Can you point us to only 10? I know of only at most 5 that NASA claims to be an actual photo.

All others are composites and NASA very clearly tells you. So the challenge is to provide us and yourself at least 10 actual photographs of the earth from space.

THE ENTIRE PLANET! NOT PARTIAL IMAGES FROM THE ISS!

When you find out that you will not find even 10 photos I'd like to hear what you think about that.

Provide the links from NASA of at least 10 actual photos of earth from space. From NASA... from the NASA website!

You say there are millions. I am challenging you to put up or shutup.

If I am wrong I will shutup.

Offline Icaruss

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 02:10:54 AM »
I made no such assumption. And communication in a personal manner between people does still have a purpose. Your statement had no such purpose and as you admitted, your statement had no meaning, ergo, the only reason to speak was simply to say something or get a reaction, which is the very definition of a troll. Your comments are not even on topic, so not welcome.

We're talking about meaning, not purpose. My statement has purpose but no meaning. You need to refresh your definition of purpose and meaning before we can continue.

We have to get you up to scratch with the English language before we can talk about why the Earth is flat.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:13:06 AM by Icaruss »

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 02:13:52 AM »

NASA has admitted to doctoring its photos before their release.

Doing things like combining multiple pictures to create a larger picture from satellites too low in orbit to see the entire Earth is not doctoring, it's editing. The same can be said of using parts of multiple pictures to create an image of the Earth without cloud cover. Not only is this editing publicized in the pictures it's done in, it is not done to every picture and even the pictures used to create the larger pictures are still available for view. There are still thousands of unedited pictures of Earth taken from space. Simply claiming they are fabrications because you do not want them to be real is denialism, it doesn't make them any less than the damning evidence against the flat Earth fallacy that they are. It only shows you are close-minded.

Not to mention that of all the points given about why the Earth is a round and not flat, you only choose the one that you simply claim is manufactured. It shows a real lack of any argument when all you can say is: that isn't true.

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 02:16:00 AM »

We're talking about meaning, not purpose. My statement has purpose but no meaning. You need to refresh your definition of purpose and meaning before we can continue.

We have to get you up to scratch with the English language before we can talk about why the Earth is flat.

The purpose was already identified: because you had to say something to get a reaction. Again... completely off topic.

And, no.. the Earth is not flat in spite of how you want to deceive yourself. There has yet to be a single piece of evidence that points to a flat Earth (and yes, I have read this site's entire faq - there is nothing there that hasn't been debunked multiple times).

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 02:19:18 AM »

lol

Can you point us to only 10? I know of only at most 5 that NASA claims to be an actual photo.

All others are composites and NASA very clearly tells you. So the challenge is to provide us and yourself at least 10 actual photographs of the earth from space.

THE ENTIRE PLANET! NOT PARTIAL IMAGES FROM THE ISS!

When you find out that you will not find even 10 photos I'd like to hear what you think about that.

Provide the links from NASA of at least 10 actual photos of earth from space. From NASA... from the NASA website!

You say there are millions. I am challenging you to put up or shutup.

If I am wrong I will shutup.

I said there were millions of photos of Earth, not that there were millions of photos of the complete Earth. The composites themselves are often made of hundreds of photos themselves. And yes, every photo from the ISS is a photo of Earth and included in the millions of photos taken from space of Earth.

Shall I simply give you the link to NASA's website so you can browse pictures? I figure that is something simple enough that you do not need me to hold your hand.

Offline Icaruss

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 02:39:24 AM »
The purpose was already identified: because you had to say something to get a reaction. Again... completely off topic.

And, no.. the Earth is not flat in spite of how you want to deceive yourself. There has yet to be a single piece of evidence that points to a flat Earth (and yes, I have read this site's entire faq - there is nothing there that hasn't been debunked multiple times).

I'm glad I was able to help you towards figuring out the difference between purpose and meaning, even if you missed the point. If you would like to discuss a particular topic in the faq or wiki, it would be helpful to include it in your post.