Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #1120 on: April 10, 2017, 10:52:55 PM »
http://shareblue.com/sean-spicer-just-called-russia-an-ally/

NOW WHO'S THE DEAN???
It's very confusing.

Unless you assume that Trump is secretly friends with Assad, Iran, and NK....
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #1121 on: April 11, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »
http://shareblue.com/sean-spicer-just-called-russia-an-ally/

NOW WHO'S THE DEAN???
It's very confusing.

Unless you assume that Trump is secretly friends with Assad, Iran, and NK....

i was only bringing it up to be super smug about rushy et al. excoriating me for calling russia an ally and north korea a national security threat.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/11/trump-warns-china-on-north-korea-help-solve-problem-or-will.html

i assume rushy must be very disappointed in this administration's foreign policy.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: April 11, 2017, 02:39:25 PM »
i was only bringing it up to be super smug about rushy et al. excoriating me for calling russia an ally and north korea a national security threat.
Do you think us comparing you to Sean Spicer instead would make things better?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: April 11, 2017, 07:47:27 PM »
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/11/politics/sean-spicer-hitler-assad-gas-chemical-weapons/index.html

So...
Sean Spicer is the shittest press secretary in history.
I get what he meant: Hitler didn't bomb his own cities with gas.  But which is worse: bombing your own cities or rounding the people up, stripping them naked, and herding them into a gas chamber to die or work them to death?  At least in the open, they have a fighting chance.

Even so, his ability to articulate that from what he said is really fucking poor.  He's supposed to be the most precise speaker Trump has yet he constantly makes comments that are vague enough to be taken multiple ways.

If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #1124 on: April 11, 2017, 09:07:46 PM »
So, by now we all know about the truck attack in Sweden.
Trump made the claim in February of an attack in Sweden.

Coincidence(cause he said he was referencing fox)?  Prophcy?  Did he know it would happen?  Did he inspire terrorists? 

If I were like TTIOH, I'd find this proof that Trump orchastrated this to further his adgenda and score political points just like when he bombed a Syrian airport last night.  An act he himself has said would be a pathetic way to get higher poll numbers when Obama was in power in 2012.

Sad.

No. Sweden is feeling the pain from mass refugee immigration. Paris isn't Paris anymore. Germany is also experiencing these similar low-tech terrorists attacks. This is the type of thing everyone's with a clue has been trying to prevent. But instead of people admitting there is a problem, it's just easier to call people who acknowledge the problem racists and xenophobes then bury their heads in the sand.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: April 11, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
So, by now we all know about the truck attack in Sweden.
Trump made the claim in February of an attack in Sweden.

Coincidence(cause he said he was referencing fox)?  Prophcy?  Did he know it would happen?  Did he inspire terrorists? 

If I were like TTIOH, I'd find this proof that Trump orchastrated this to further his adgenda and score political points just like when he bombed a Syrian airport last night.  An act he himself has said would be a pathetic way to get higher poll numbers when Obama was in power in 2012.

Sad.

No. Sweden is feeling the pain from mass refugee immigration. Paris isn't Paris anymore. Germany is also experiencing these similar low-tech terrorists attacks. This is the type of thing everyone's with a clue has been trying to prevent. But instead of people admitting there is a problem, it's just easier to call people who acknowledge the problem racists and xenophobes then bury their heads in the sand.
I'm sorry.... what problem is that, exactly?
Cause Sweden's truck driver attack?  Not a refugee.  AND he was ordered to leave but escaped and hid.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39564825

The Paris attack?
Belgium and French nationals with one or two maybe Syrians in the mix.  But they didn't plan anything, just acted as suiciders.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34832512

And what about all the US citizens who have attacked people here in America?  There was a school shooting Today in California.  Now, if we apply the same logic, well... we need to get rid of all Americans, yes? 

I mean, all those countries you've just named, combined, have had less shootings, bombings, and murders than America.  Hell, even when you combine all of Europe, it's still less than America.  So you wanna talk about a very small amount of problems, maybe you should be looking at the very LARGE problem you have with your own people.

I mean, really... taking a total of what... 5 incidents in 5 years and calling that a problem?  That's... 5 people out of what... a few million?  Cause... that's still better than the United States. 

So please, enlighten us, what IS the problem?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:39:32 PM by Lord Dave »

« Reply #1126 on: April 12, 2017, 01:00:09 AM »
Sean Spicer is the gift that keeps on giving.

« Reply #1127 on: April 12, 2017, 04:52:27 PM »

Jihad.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 12, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »

« Reply #1129 on: April 12, 2017, 05:28:30 PM »
AP is reporting that the Republican tax plan floating around on Capitol Hill could call for an elimination of the payroll tax and the addition of a VAT.

So buhbye Social Security. It was nice knowing you.

« Reply #1130 on: April 12, 2017, 05:31:46 PM »

Jihad.
Nationalism.

So celebration of a culture is bad, but the concerted effort by a major religion to destroy all other cultures is fine.

You are the problem.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 12, 2017, 05:36:34 PM »

Jihad.
Nationalism.

So celebration of a culture is bad, but the concerted effort by a major religion to destroy all other cultures is fine.

You are the problem.
I... I think you don't understand what Nationalism is.  Cause it's basically Jihad, just for the state, not a religion.
Here, this will help:
http://smbc-comics.com/comic/an-important-distinction
(ps. nothing about culture.)

Also, yes, Jihad is a problem.  I still don't see what that has to do with everyone who doesn't practice it.  I mean, you can throw that around and it's fine but what about blood feuds?  Those are a problem too.  Or Rebels.  Terrorists.  Mass Shootings.

« Reply #1132 on: April 13, 2017, 01:13:51 PM »
Trump threatens to withhold subsidies for insurance companies offering health care to low-income Americans unless Democrats negotiate on health care.

K. A couple of things.

• I thought we were moving past health care. Is that no longer the plan?
  • It's kind of a shit negotiating position to threaten to hurt poor Americans unless the Democrats agree to vote for a health care plan that hurts poor Americans (the AHCA). Especially when the Democrats are likely to just keep proposing universal health care bills or something like that that the American public likes more than Republican health care plans.
  • It's also kind of a shit plan to announce your intention to withhold money for low-income Americans' health care when you're trying to lay blame on the Democrats. People are going to blame you, bud. You're the one holding hostages.
  • If you really care about low-income Americans, and think that these payments are outside the authority of the White House, why not come up with a replacement plan to keep premiums low, like you promised on the campaign trail, rather than threatening  to raise premiums on poor Americans unless you get your way?
  • Finally, you control the White House, the House, and the Senate. It should not  be on the Democrats to come to the table on anything at this stage if Trump can't get a health care bill passed. It just means he can't control his own party or unify them.

Bottom line: Americans usually don't like being used as hostages. Even the Republicans think this is a bad idea.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:20:45 PM by trekky0623 »

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 13, 2017, 01:59:02 PM »
All Trump needs to do is shitpost something about it's really all Obama's fault on Twitter and his fans will fall in line.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

« Reply #1134 on: April 13, 2017, 03:20:19 PM »
Also, what's to stop the Democrats from just proposing a bill that authorizes these payments? I mean the whole reason Trump can take these subsidies away is because they weren't authorized by Congress, right? So if he's threatening to take those payments away, the Democrats just propose to authorize those payments as part of their "negotiation." What do the Republicans look like if they vote "no," then?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 13, 2017, 04:19:22 PM »
Also, what's to stop the Democrats from just proposing a bill that authorizes these payments? I mean the whole reason Trump can take these subsidies away is because they weren't authorized by Congress, right? So if he's threatening to take those payments away, the Democrats just propose to authorize those payments as part of their "negotiation." What do the Republicans look like if they vote "no," then?

Even if they say yes, then they gotta send it to Trump who will either back down and sign it or veto it.  Both look bad for Republicans so they won't even let the bill get put up.

So really, Democrats can't even introduce the bill to begin with.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 13, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »
He's bluffing. What he's threatening to do will actually result in less uninsured than the bill he wants them to approve. It makes no sense. If I was a Dem in Congress I'd be like lol, k.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 13, 2017, 10:04:56 PM »
I thought we were moving past health care. Is that no longer the plan?
Yes - that should be fairly obvious given what's happening. "Donny said he's not gonna eat that sandwich, but now he's eating it. Does this mean he changed his mind?????" Yes, Trekky. Yes, it does.

We also knew that he changed his mind some weeks ago and the very article you've linked makes this clear in the very first paragraph sentence:

Since the failure of the GOP health care bill in the House nearly three weeks ago, President Donald Trump has suggested letting Obamacare explode to bring Democrats to the negotiating table.

something like that that the American public likes more than Republican health care plans.
Given the recent clean takeover of all branches of government by the Republicans, this really needs some substantiation.

why not come up with a replacement plan to keep premiums low, like you promised on the campaign trail
He tried that, but then the Freedom Caucus happened. Blaming the Democrats for this is retarded, granted, but pretending they played no part in this is even worse. The only way he can potentially (and even then it's not likely) pass a healthcare reform without help from the Democrats is by completely reverting things to pre-2009. I dunno about you, but it sounds to me like seeking compromise with the D's is a better idea. And if they need to be forced into a compromise, meh, so be it.

Bottom line: Americans usually don't like being used as hostages. Even the Republicans think this is a bad idea.
Bill Clinton held Americans hostage twice by triggering government shutdowns. Didn't seem to affect his popularity much in the long term. HW Bush did it, but that did kind of kick him in the ass. Obama did it, but it was A-OK. Honestly, it looks like it's just Republicans (I'll stick to a pre-Trump definition of Republicans here) who don't like being held hostage.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:10:42 PM by SexWarrior »

« Reply #1138 on: April 13, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »
something like that that the American public likes more than Republican health care plans.
Given the recent clean takeover of all branches of government by the Republicans, this really needs some substantiation.

Coverage for pre-existing conditions is favoured by 63% of Republicans; preventative care, 77%; Medicaid expansion, 67%. Republicans, and the public at large, do not want to drop these provisions, never mind go back to pre-2009 health coverage. Hence the horrible opinion polls on the AHCA.

The only way he can potentially (and even then it's not likely) pass a healthcare reform without help from the Democrats is by completely reverting things to pre-2009.

That isn't going to happen, because of the opinion polls above. If the Republicans pass a straight repeal, they will lose re-election in 2018.

Bill Clinton held Americans hostage twice by triggering government shutdowns. Didn't seem to affect his popularity much in the long term. HW Bush did it, but that did kind of kick him in the ass. Obama did it, but it was A-OK. Honestly, it looks like it's just Republicans (I'll stick to a pre-Trump definition of Republicans here) who don't like being held hostage.

Okie doke bud. I don't think any of those presidents threatened to take away people's health care coverage. But whatever, this isn't a defence of Trump's actions.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: April 13, 2017, 11:32:10 PM »
Coverage for pre-existing conditions is favoured by 63% of Republicans; preventative care, 77%; Medicaid expansion, 67%. Republicans, and the public at large, do not want to drop these provisions, never mind go back to pre-2009 health coverage. Hence the horrible opinion polls on the AHCA.
I currently fail to see how people disliking going pre-2009 and AHCA are at all comparable.

But you digress: You said the American people don't like Republican health care plans. How do you reconcile this with the fact that the American people overwhelmingly voted in favour of Republican healthcare plans?

That isn't going to happen, because of the opinion polls above. If the Republicans pass a straight repeal, they will lose re-election in 2018.
Yes. Hence AHCA.

Okie doke bud. I don't think any of those presidents threatened to take away people's health care coverage. But whatever, this isn't a defence of Trump's actions.
Oh, so you're only interested in very specific flavours of holding American people hostage, but you're okay with other forms of it? Why didn't you just say so in the first place?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 11:36:07 PM by SexWarrior »