Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
The Principle Movie
« on: October 10, 2019, 04:57:07 PM »
This post contains spoilers.

I came across this meme about The Principle, and the quotes caught my eye:

If that website full of falsities is trying to discredit it then there must be some truth to it.

So, I decided to finally watch Robert Sungenis' geocentrism movie The Principle. The movie consists of a mix of science history and interviews with famous physicists who were apparently interviewed believing that they were going to be part of a regular cosmology documentary.

The movie starts with them describing the Copernican Principle which states we are unimportant and with Lawrence Krauss screaming "we are nothing!!" We then join the physcists on a journey of discovery to make sense of cosmological data suggesting that we are central.

The common line about this movie is that scientists were "misquoted," but there is no mistaking that they are saying things like "it really looks like we are at the center of the universe... but don't worry, it only looks that way!", that there are large scale phenomena in the universe aligned with the earth and ecliptic, that it is really weird that experiments show that we are not moving, and that if the earth was the center of the universe it would solve many problems in cosmology.

The movie ends on a feel-good note. Maybe a little theological misquoting at the end... but "misquoted" or not, the statements are fairly interesting. At the end of it all, and after all of their challenges and struggles to make sense of nature, our cosmologist interviewees finally find God and admit that the earth is a very special place at the center of the universe. A happy ending.

A free streaming version is available on archive.org: https://archive.org/details/ThePrinciple
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 02:03:49 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Re: The Principle Movie
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 08:53:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure that everywhere in the universe is the centre.

No matter where you are, every other point seems to be moving away from you. Hence it always feels like you are in the centre. This is proved mathematically using the Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker metric.

Each observer is in a unique position to be at the centre of their own observed universe because the expansion of the universe results in a coherent Hubble flow away from your point of reference in every direction.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 12:56:39 AM »
Ah, I believe that I saw that one in Stephen Hawking's Brief History of Time.

“...all this evidence that the universe looks the same whichever direction we look in might seem to suggest there is something special about our place in the universe. In particular, it might seem that if we observe all other galaxies to be moving away from us, then we must be at the center of the universe.

There is, however, an alternate explanation: the universe might look the same in every direction as seen from any other galaxy, too. This, as we have seen, was Friedmann’s second assumption. We have no scientific evidence for, or against, this assumption. We believe it only on grounds of modesty: it would be most remarkable if the universe looked the same in every direction around us, but not around other points in the universe.”
                  —Steven Hawking, A Brief History of Time, p. 44.

Rama Set

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 03:22:44 PM »
If that website full of falsities is trying to discredit it then there must be some truth to it.

This is absolutely wrong. Sorry, dude.  There are plenty of other reasons they could be trying to discredit the documentary. Maybe people just don't want silly ideas to be spread.