Dome model and thermodynamics
« on: April 18, 2019, 08:53:11 PM »
Hello, I am not sure what the FES thinks about the dome model. Iv'e searched the wiki and FAQ, and I can't find any mention of it. Either way, I seem to have found an error. The sun, regardless of what model you accept, is the largest supplier of heat to the Earth and the hottest object in the system. The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created, so the sun must have a source of energy. Now this is not a problem for the round Earth model, which states that the sun's source of energy is fusion but I don't know how proponents of the dome model feel about that.
The first law of thermodynamics also states that energy cannot be destroyed. Where does the energy emitted by the sun go? Does it just stay here on Earth? If the system is isolated, then according to the second law of thermodynamics, the Earth and everything else in the system will increase in temperature until they are in thermodynamic equilibrium with the sun. The sun should be cooling and the Earth should be heating until they are the same temperature.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Dome model and thermodynamics
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 05:35:39 AM »
So, what "error" have you found? It sounds like your wall of text boils down to two things:

1. You don't know the source of the Sun's energy. That's not an error.
2. You asked if the solar system is an isolated system, and then explained that it can't be one, thus answering your own question. What was the point of asking?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
Re: Dome model and thermodynamics
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 02:40:05 PM »
Hello, I am not sure what the FES thinks about the dome model. Iv'e searched the wiki and FAQ, and I can't find any mention of it. Either way, I seem to have found an error. The sun, regardless of what model you accept, is the largest supplier of heat to the Earth and the hottest object in the system. The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created, so the sun must have a source of energy. Now this is not a problem for the round Earth model, which states that the sun's source of energy is fusion but I don't know how proponents of the dome model feel about that.
The first law of thermodynamics also states that energy cannot be destroyed. Where does the energy emitted by the sun go? Does it just stay here on Earth? If the system is isolated, then according to the second law of thermodynamics, the Earth and everything else in the system will increase in temperature until they are in thermodynamic equilibrium with the sun. The sun should be cooling and the Earth should be heating until they are the same temperature.

From what I can tell the Dome Model is not accepted by all Flearthers.   Try your thought experiment without the dome.   If the heat is radiating out there does not seem to be a problem.   
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?