Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »
I looked at Star Citizen because Parsifal told me to. Made an account, then realized it looks dumb. Good thing too because I was about to buy the $15,000 completionist pack which is actually rather incomplete. Saved myself a headache there...

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »
You hate Windows, and now you're installing Windows, so you'll be using Windows, which you hate.

kinda interesting

Next up: Installing Star Citizen.

And now you understand why.

lurk moar
Are you suggesting his desire to install windows is not directly related to playing Star Citizen?
No, I'm suggesting you don't lurk enough.
You're probably right.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2016, 04:13:01 AM »
I looked at Star Citizen because Parsifal told me to. Made an account, then realized it looks dumb. Good thing too because I was about to buy the $15,000 completionist pack which is actually rather incomplete. Saved myself a headache there...

Those ultra-expensive packs are for people really keen on supporting the game. There's absolutely no reason to spend more than $45 (or $60 if you want the single-player Squadron 42) before you've even tried the game.

Anyway, I have been downloading Star Citizen for about 14 hours now. It should be done by sometime tomorrow and then I can start blowing Rushy up.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2016, 11:27:32 AM »
Star Citizen has finished downloading.

It is time.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »
Have fun.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2016, 02:51:44 PM »
I have died four times already. This game is great.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2016, 12:46:28 AM »
Dynamic ship skinning. Hopefully they'll release the ship skinning system soon.

https://gfycat.com/LameParallelIguana

----

Greyboxed cutlass album:

http://imgur.com/gallery/0J5tM

----

Prowler concept:

----

Capital ship trailer:

----

Capital ship overview:

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 12:58:58 AM by Rushy »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 24, 2016, 12:49:00 AM »
2.6 Alpha has just been released. For a limited time, you can try it for free.

Use the referral code STAR-JF4S-5HYN when creating an account (this will get you free in-game money if you decide to buy the game later), and the coupon code WELCOME2SC to redeem the free trial.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2017, 08:11:23 AM »
So what do you do in this game exactly? Can you actually fly down onto planets? I tried the demo awhile back and I just flew around for a bit and crashed into a space rock. It seems like it's trying to be an mmo.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2017, 12:57:20 AM »
There is no "demo", it's an alpha. Most of the features that will be in the final game haven't been released yet, not even as a preview. Any other game that's not entirely crowdfunded, you wouldn't even have heard of at this stage in development, let alone be able to play.

So what do you do in this game exactly?

Currently, there are maybe a dozen or so scripted missions you can do, and they're adding more with each alpha release. Most involve space combat, though some only involve finding items in abandoned stations and what not. This is because movement and combat are really the only mechanisms that are ready to play right now.

Can you actually fly down onto planets?

Not yet, that's coming in alpha 3.0.

I tried the demo awhile back and I just flew around for a bit and crashed into a space rock. It seems like it's trying to be an mmo.

It will be an MMO when it's finished.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2017, 03:49:23 AM »
Oh, I was under the impression that the full single player campaign had been released already since it allows you to purchase it on the site, and I was watching a video of some guy doing missions. May end up buying into the Alpha just because it seems like it has a lot of potential.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2017, 04:40:06 AM »
Oh, I was under the impression that the full single player campaign had been released already since it allows you to purchase it on the site

If you actually go to purchase it, it makes you tick a box saying you understand the game is still in development before you can pay.

and I was watching a video of some guy doing missions. May end up buying into the Alpha just because it seems like it has a lot of potential.

That's why I bought into it as well. And to be clear, the current alpha can be fun to play, you just have to go into it being aware that there will be lots of bugs and the game mechanics are still fairly limited.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2017, 02:10:34 AM »
Oh, I was under the impression that the full single player campaign had been released already since it allows you to purchase it on the site, and I was watching a video of some guy doing missions. May end up buying into the Alpha just because it seems like it has a lot of potential.

You could also buy Elite: Dangerous, which is a similar kind of game, just much further along in development.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2017, 02:26:28 AM »
You could also buy Elite: Dangerous, which is a similar kind of game, just much further along in development.

Not really. Elite is much further developed in some respects and much less developed in others.

I actually find Elite to be extremely lacking with regard to building a believable universe. Even in its current alpha state, the Star Citizen universe feels alive. I wake up in Port Olisar feeling like there is a real world going about its business around me, even if I can't see it all. With every mission in the game, even such as it is right now, I have some sense of why I'm doing it, not just going through the motions to get money.

In Elite, cargo missions are just a menu of options. It's very literally Euro Truck Simulator 2 in space.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2017, 02:52:25 AM »
Are we going to make a TFES Star Citizen squadron?

Also, I hope they don't focus so much on the little details and graphics that they neglect the gameplay. It looks like I'll be suiting up this weekend. I've decided I want to do a small part in providing feedback to the team so they can make this game shine. Would you recommend getting Squadron 42 also, or just a core package?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:37:33 AM by Hollocron »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2017, 08:29:37 AM »
Are we going to make a TFES Star Citizen squadron?

If we ever get more than three people from FES with radically different in-game career interests playing the game, perhaps.

Also, I hope they don't focus so much on the little details and graphics that they neglect the gameplay.

You might be interested in subscribing to their YouTube channel, where they broadcast several videos a week about things they're working on and occasionally future plans and tech demos. Their incredible attention to detail applies to every aspect of the game, including gameplay. That's why it's taking so long, but it looks like it will be totally worth it when it finally releases.

It looks like I'll be suiting up this weekend. I've decided I want to do a small part in providing feedback to the team so they can make this game shine.

Have you decided which starter ship you want? I can wholeheartedly recommend the Avenger Titan, which is a $20 upgrade (purchased separately) over the Mustang Alpha starter package -- or a $25 upgrade over the Aurora MR package which is the same price as the Mustang, so don't get an Aurora if you just plan to upgrade it. The Aurora is the superior option if not upgrading, though.

If you have an extra $20 to spare, it really is a fantastic upgrade no matter what you want to do in the game -- it's faster and better at just about everything than either of the base offerings. More manoeuvrable, better guns, more cargo space, and it's slated to be better at exploration once that mechanic is introduced too.

If you're not sure, you can always upgrade later (even using in-game currency after release), so there's no need to choose now.

Would you recommend getting Squadron 42 also, or just a core package?

That's entirely up to you. We haven't seen and won't see an alpha of Squadron 42 (Chris Roberts has said that there won't be an alpha or a beta, only a full release of each episode), so it depends on whether you think it's a game you'd like to play.

It will be much more story-driven and combat-focused than the open-world MMO of Star Citizen, but it is set in the same universe, and you will get some flight training while in the UEE Navy (which can be important because Star Citizen will be a skill-based game, not a traditional XP-based RPG). Perhaps more importantly for me, they're putting a lot of work into everything from detailed motion capture for NPCs to detailed and fully functional capital ship designs and a reactive music system.

There's also a demo from 2015 which is probably the best indication we have so far of what Squadron 42 will be like. The level of detail in the characters and the ship is stunning.

Right now, I'm thinking of it as a Star Wars movie I get to participate in. I've bought one of the combo packages with Squadron 42, but I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone.

I would suggest deciding now if you want Squadron 42 or not, though. Currently it's a $15 upgrade over Star Citizen by itself, but that is going to go up substantially by final release.

And most importantly, use my referral code for some free in-game money: STAR-JF4S-5HYN.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:04:05 AM by Parsifal »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2017, 01:09:49 AM »
That's some great info, thanks. I subscribed to their Youtube channel. As for ship, I was thinking about getting the Mustang Alpha SC. Are the ships really that different, and not just cosmetic differences?

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2017, 02:27:58 AM »
I also used your referral code. See you on the frontier lads.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:32:43 AM by Hollocron »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2017, 04:34:33 AM »
That's some great info, thanks. I subscribed to their Youtube channel. As for ship, I was thinking about getting the Mustang Alpha SC. Are the ships really that different, and not just cosmetic differences?

Yes, extremely different. The Avenger is a good 50% faster than the Aurora, for instance, and different ships have different default weapon loadouts and can carry different numbers and sizes of weapons. They also vary in terms of number and size of thrusters, which impacts their manoeuvrability -- for instance, the Herald has a huge engine for the ship's size, but not many thrusters, which makes it extremely fast in a straight line but terrible at turning.

In the final game, the ships will also have different loadouts in other areas that haven't been implemented yet. For instance, an exploration-focused ship is likely to have advanced scanners and come with a jump drive, whereas those may be optional extras on other ships. A cargo hauler will obviously have a large part of the ship's interior (or exterior, in the case of the Hull series) dedicated to storing cargo, but a fighter may not have any cargo space at all. The ships page lists the intended use of each ship -- most fit into the common categories like fighter, transport, mercenary, explorer or miner, but there are a few unique options like the Herald (for intercepting and securely transporting data) and the Reclaimer (for salvaging derelicts).

I also used your referral code. See you on the frontier lads.

Excellent. Welcome to the Verse.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:36:35 AM by Parsifal »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2017, 11:02:03 AM »
I didn't know the ships varied so much. This is going to be a great game when it's done. How many ships do you have so far?

At this point I've bought a new space suit and explored all the jump points on Crusader. The parts of the game that aren't bugged to hell are breathtaking. I explored an area with an asteroid belt and was able to land on one of the larger ones. I also got a ride from a guy with a giant red ship (can't remember the name). Took about 20 minutes to find an exit since I entered through an engineering bay and I was never able to find the access point again. It also had a little console that let you redirect power to the main systems of the ship.

Like you said, I probably should have opted for a more advanced ship since mine only has 2 basic laser canons, and no missiles, which makes shooting people down pretty hard.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:05:48 AM by Hollocron »