Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
Koreshan Community and the Hollow Earth
« on: April 05, 2019, 11:52:14 AM »
Has anyone here done any reading on the Koreshan Community of the late 1800s? I find this particular account to be of interest.

"Previous experiments with the Illinois Drainage Canal in Chicago and on the shore of Lake Michigan encouraged Morrow to devise a method of measuring the curvature of the earth exemplified by the surface of a large body of water.

A straight, 4-mile, north-south beach near Naples provided a site for an ambitious experiment. He designed four "rectilineators" each precisely 12 feet long and perfectly square and level.

Teed commissioned the Pullman Railroad Car Company to build the mahogany and brass contraptions. One has survived is on display at the Koreshan State Park.

On the beach, Morrow bolted his rectilineators together and positioned them with a plumb bob and spirit level to furnish a reference.

Surveying data was computed each quarter-mile and compared to the water level of the Gulf of Mexico in caissons that dampened wave action.

If the beach were on the inside of a ball, the survey live would tend up. If the earth were round, the line would tend down.

The survey line tended down which inadvertently allowed Morrow to compute the correct circumference of the earth at 25,000 miles.

However, when Morrow corrected "human errors" in reading water levels in the caissons, he proved to his and Teed's satisfaction that we did, indeed, live inside a ball."

http://www.lindseywilliams.org/index.htm?LAL_Archives/Inside_-_Out_World_-_Koreshan_Unity_Community.htm~mainFrame

Does anyone have any other resources on these experiments? Any thoughts on what went wrong, and why it showed the earth was round? What were the corrections that were made to show the earth was concave?
BobLawBlah.

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
Re: Koreshan Community and the Hollow Earth
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 01:30:09 PM »
Here is a lengthy analysis of the experiment.

https://www.lockhaven.edu/~dsimanek/hollow/morrow.htm
BobLawBlah.

Offline Jeppspace

• 0 + 0 = 0
    • View Profile
    • YllwChlk
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 05:56:55 PM »
I find Hollow Earth theory hilarious! Don't get me wrong, it's a great scifi concept, but on a realistic level it just sends me spinning into a black hole.

Besides, only a round Earth could be hollow.
Anyone who would pay Richard Branson hundreds of thousands of dollars for the visual confirmation that we are all doomed to the unforgiving abyss of space, definitely deserves to know that.

: Infinite ¥ : Szion = : Plane

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 06:12:12 PM »
I find Hollow Earth theory hilarious! Don't get me wrong, it's a great scifi concept, but on a realistic level it just sends me spinning into a black hole.

Besides, only a round Earth could be hollow.

Not necessarily. The thickness and the shape of underside of the plane is unknown.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 10:06:35 PM »
The Concave Earth Theory is an offshoot of Earth Not a Globe by Samuel Birley Rowbotham. Some of Rowbotham's experiments are used as evidence. The current main website of the Concave Earth "Society" is The Wild Heritic. They have some interesting content.

Per the concave earth experiments, I believe that some of the sight experiments that they promote are true. Light seems to have a habit of bending upwards and downwards throughout the day.

- Sinking Ship Effect Caused By Refration (tfes.org) - Several examples of light bending up and down

- A surveyor named Wilhelm Martin performs an experiment showing that light seems to bend upwards and downwards throughout the day. (Wild Heretic)

It is my opinion that, due to this, the most compelling experiments are the ones which take refraction into account or provide multiple control points, such as Rowbotham's Experiment 2.

On analysis of Rowboham's second experiment, if the earth were a globe or concave, one important remark would be that it is quite the coincidence that the flags all experienced the flat earth refraction effect, one by one, all the way down to the end, which projected each flag into the air at the exact height they needed to be at in order to make things look flat in accordance with the distance looked across and the height of the observer.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 10:08:18 PM »
It is my opinion that, due to this, the most compelling experiments are the ones which take refraction into account or provide multiple control points, such as Rowbotham's Experiment 2.

On analysis of Rowboham's second experiment, if the earth were a globe or concave, one important remark would be that it is quite the coincidence that the flags all experienced the flat earth refraction effect, one by one, all the way down to the end, which projected each flag into the air at the exact height they needed to be at in order to make things look flat in accordance with the distance looked across and the height of the observer.

I just re-read the experiment. To me, I read the flag experiment as "refraction free" simply showing that all the flag heights were inline down the canal = Flat earth. Or simply no convexity or concavity present. Did SBR take refraction into account in EX2? I'm thinking it should be take refraction & (not or) control points into account. I may just not be understanding your statement.