Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
NATO Shenanigans
« on: May 13, 2022, 01:47:28 PM »
Currently, Finland wants to join NATO; Sweden is still thinking about it. However, to join NATO all members must approve of your application. Guess who doesn't approve?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-13/turkey-doesn-t-favor-sweden-finland-joining-nato-erdogan-says

Unsurprisingly, it's Turkey. Why don't they approve?

Erdogan cites concerns over ‘terrorists’ in Sweden and Finland

It's because of all those terrorists in Sweden and Finland! Obviously. How could I not have known that? Those damned Swedes and Finns going around... terrorizing us with... something...

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
Re: NATO Shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 02:37:30 PM »
Sweden is well known for its terrorists.  There was even a documentary made about it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095016/

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 03:49:42 PM »
Sweden is well known for its terrorists.  There was even a documentary made about it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095016/
German, not Swedish.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 03:59:24 PM »
I thought that documentary was about Christmas.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 04:13:24 PM »
I try to have a semi-serious discussion about NATO and you're all in here talking about Die Hard.  >:(

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 04:20:02 PM »
I can't help it.  I'm mourning Bruce Willis's decline in health.

Fine.  Serious stuff.  I think the US committed to a defense pact with Sweden and Finland to bridge the gap between application and approval.  Since the US is like 80% of NATO it's effectively like being in NATO if that news was correct.

But this is the peril in a treaty organization getting too big.  Eventually we get shitheads.  It might be time to create NATO 2.0 and not include countries like Hungary and Turkey.  Maybe a EU 2.0 while they're at it to kick those two countries out also.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 04:56:05 PM »
It might be time to create NATO 2.0 and not include countries like Hungary and Turkey.  Maybe a EU 2.0 while they're at it to kick those two countries out also.
Yes of course, Turkey is a notoriously troublesome EU member.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 05:03:54 PM »
Fine.  Serious stuff.  I think the US committed to a defense pact with Sweden and Finland to bridge the gap between application and approval.  Since the US is like 80% of NATO it's effectively like being in NATO if that news was correct.

The UK did the same thing. Additionally, Sweden and Finland have mutual defense agreements with the EU but that is on shakier ground than the UK or US assurances.

But this is the peril in a treaty organization getting too big.  Eventually we get shitheads.  It might be time to create NATO 2.0 and not include countries like Hungary and Turkey.  Maybe a EU 2.0 while they're at it to kick those two countries out also.

They weren't shitheads when originally invited into NATO. We've unfortunately let their governments deteriorate into what they are today.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 08:41:56 PM »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2024, 09:18:17 PM »
I can't believe they let Sweden join, despite all of those Swedish terrorists wreaking havoc across Europe!