Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Another mass shooting
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »
Its because you have allowed big pharma to push psychoactive drugs to the young.

Better watch out, Thork, you're next.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 03:35:23 PM »
Why is it that you have to be mentally ill to do something like this? Healthy people are violent people too.

Like already pointed out, we do it in the military it's just directed towards our enemy. But this kid saw wealthy happy people as his enemy. Suicide is also the logical decision after this. He knows he shouldn't have done it and would live through trial and prison but he rather just escape.

We all get depressed now and then. A combination of abuse (including neglect) could make a healthy person do this. In fact, I think it's dangerous to assume all shooters are mentally ill because that distances them from people you might know who have the potential to behave violently but may not seem ill.

Thork

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 03:37:01 PM »
Its because you have allowed big pharma to push psychoactive drugs to the young.

Better watch out, Thork, you're next.
Our mentally ill kids can't go to their father's gun cupboard and take a gun to school with them.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 03:38:37 PM »
Our mentally ill kids can't go to their father's gun cupboard and take a gun to school with them.

Yes, they really can, Thork. Your gun laws aren't "NO GUNS EVER LOL"

There are many people that own guns in the UK. So your excuse that it has to do with gun laws or Ritalin is nonsense. It's sub-par, even for you.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 04:09:26 PM »
Does Ritalin make people want to shoot others all of a sudden?

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2014, 04:21:11 PM »
Why did no one feel the need to report any of it before this happened? Very strange.

Because if the gubmint investigated ever tard on the internet waving a gun they'd be investigating half the population. Prove me wrong.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »
Because if the gubmint investigated ever tard on the internet waving a gun they'd be investigating half the population. Prove me wrong.

This wasn't a man waving a gun though, in fact, almost half of the people he killed were stabbed to death.

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »

This wasn't a man waving a gun though, in fact, almost half of the people he killed were stabbed to death.

OK scale that back to "if the gubmint investigated ever tard on the internet expressing homicidal tendencies they'd be investigating half the population"

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2014, 05:59:30 PM »

etc

Thork

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2014, 06:57:37 PM »
I just picked Ritalin as I found a quick graph showing how fast this kind of drug use is rising. Its not restricted to Ritalin. Kids are bing diagnosed with depression, OCD, ADHD etc etc at rates never seen before. Its not because they all have psychiatric problems. For many its eating shit food, no exercise, poor parenting, lack of stimulus and too much time sat in front of computers and TV which (and I know this will be argued here cos everyone loves computer games), but spending several hours playing games is obsessive behaviour that does nothing to promote social skills over a prolonged period.
And doctors just prescribe the problem away with psychoactive drugs. On an industrial scale.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2014, 07:55:15 PM »
I just picked Ritalin as I found a quick graph showing how fast this kind of drug use is rising. Its not restricted to Ritalin. Kids are bing diagnosed with depression, OCD, ADHD etc etc at rates never seen before. Its not because they all have psychiatric problems. For many its eating shit food, no exercise, poor parenting, lack of stimulus and too much time sat in front of computers and TV which (and I know this will be argued here cos everyone loves computer games), but spending several hours playing games is obsessive behaviour that does nothing to promote social skills over a prolonged period.
And doctors just prescribe the problem away with psychoactive drugs. On an industrial scale.

Well I can't argue that what you listed aren't problems, but I don't think they're connected the way you think they are.

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2014, 10:29:11 PM »

Dr Phil is in the building.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2014, 10:53:03 PM »
I'm sure he had some type of serious mental disorder. He was pretty good looking and apparently had a lot of money to waste because he spent like $2k on lottery tickets at one point.

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2014, 11:59:47 PM »
He had a BMW, designer clothes and had time to stare at sunsets. The kid wasn't even middle class.

Ghost of V

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2014, 12:04:02 AM »
Why is it that you have to be mentally ill to do something like this? Healthy people are violent people too.

Like already pointed out, we do it in the military it's just directed towards our enemy. But this kid saw wealthy happy people as his enemy. Suicide is also the logical decision after this. He knows he shouldn't have done it and would live through trial and prison but he rather just escape.

We all get depressed now and then. A combination of abuse (including neglect) could make a healthy person do this. In fact, I think it's dangerous to assume all shooters are mentally ill because that distances them from people you might know who have the potential to behave violently but may not seem ill.

Have you ever considered killing multiple people during a bout of depression? Probably not, but you'd know better than I.

I know I haven't. Its common to want to hurt yourself, but when you hatch a scheme involving the death of several people and then go through it: there's something seriously wrong with you. I don't even want to get into the military doing it all the time, because I don't agree with that at all either... But its something completely different when your superiors glamorize and support murder of enemy soldiers/whatever. Soldiers are encouraged to kill if nessecary, it's evil but it's reality.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2014, 12:23:58 AM »
He had a BMW, designer clothes and had time to stare at sunsets. The kid wasn't even middle class.
So? Growing up wealthy in the Hollywood area can put a tremendous amount of pressure on people, just look at young actors/actresses.

We ase (including neglect) could make a healthy person do this. In fact, I think it's dangerous to assume all shooters are mentally ill because that distances them from people you might know who have the potential to behave violently but may not seem ill.

Have you ever considered killing multiple people during a bout of depression? Probably not, but you'd know better than I.

I know I haven't. Its common to want to hurt yourself, but when you hatch a scheme involving the death of several people and then go through it: there's something seriously wrong with you. I don't even want to get into the military doing it all the time, because I don't agree with that at all either... But its something completely different when your superiors glamorize and support murder of enemy soldiers/whatever. Soldiers are encouraged to kill if nessecary, it's evil but it's reality.
Yes, I have. In fact there are a lot of people who do have those thoughts. Think about it right now. Think about harming your boss, your family, your neighbors, anyone you're jealous of. Think of the most horrific death imaginable. Now you've likely thought about it. You can't help thoughts but acting on them is very different. But if you take a healthy human child and neglect them, put tremendous amounts of pressure on them, then have them feel isolated from a lack of friends, and whatever else may have been going on, then you can create a recipe for an initially healthy person to crack. He may have been bipolar, but it obviously was nothing extreme enough for anyone to notice. And that's why people have trouble seeing warning signs. We expect this behavior from unstable people, people we think are mentally ill. But any healthy person can be pushed given the right circumstances and enough justification.

Now, the broad sense of mental illness is just someone who may have difficulty relating to the people around them. So in the very broad sense, yes he couldn't relate.
But my issue with the term is that people generally think of disorders or unstable mental illness that would be easy to spot. And then you have people who are concerned with spotting troubled kids and helping them. But most teens and young adults are troubled, but we dont expect them to do anything unless they seem unstable. And I'm saying it makes it harder for us to see warning signs when we're only looking for instability.

Ghost of V

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2014, 12:45:23 AM »
rooster, you just described my childhood. I grew up very wealthy, with no friends, and stayed in my room all the time. The problem is you're assuming most children/young adults are similar, when they're not. I am relavity the same as I was back then as well, many people I know contribute this to asbergers syndrome but I have never been properly diagnosed with anything.

I still haven't legit thought about murdering anyone. Even when I'm upset. I've considered hurting people, and have laughed at the prospect of some people around me getting hurt... But I've never gone through with it, and it never comes to the point where I am honestly contemplating killing someone.

I think we are projecting what we think children/young adults should act and think like, but really we have no idea. I think attributing mass murder without justification to mental illness is the best explanation we have at this point. However, there might be a genetic aspect to it as well, but I think that ventures into the realm of pseudo-science.

Maybe some people are genetically predisposed to murder. Perhaps many people, such as yourself, have those thoughts because of that. Perhaps societal pressures do eventually cause these types of people to crack and commit murder, but I'm just guessing at this point. I think most everyone is guessing about this, because most people inherently think its evil and don't understand it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 12:48:32 AM by Vauxhall »

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2014, 12:46:08 AM »
So? Growing up wealthy in the Hollywood area can put a tremendous amount of pressure on people, just look at young actors/actresses.

Oh yeah, I was just talking to Andrew's point mostly. He definitely had some cash, or his dad provided for him in some way.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2014, 01:01:27 AM »
rooster, you just described my childhood. I grew up very wealthy, with no friends, and stayed in my room all the time. The problem is you're assuming most children/young adults are similar, when they're not. I am relavity the same as I was back then as well, many people I know contribute this to asbergers syndrome but I have never been properly diagnosed with anything.
I said that given the right circumstances people can be capable of anything. But it is a relatively rare combination of circumstances that causes these things. And yes, people are fairly similar that's why neuroscience and psychoanalysis works so well.

I still haven't legit thought about murdering anyone. Even when I'm upset. I've considered hurting people, and have laughed at the prospect of some people around me getting hurt... But I've never gone through with it, and it never comes to the point where I am honestly contemplating killing someone.
I don't know what the "legit" means. You can think about killing people without honestly contemplating it. There are obviously varying degrees of thought, lots of people have the cathartic passing thought and some people take it several steps further.

I think we are projecting what we think children/young adults should act and think like, bit really we have no idea.
False. People know human behavior fairly well and predicting violence is a surprisingly accurate process at this point, ex. Gavin de Becker and Associates. There are standardized metrics for it. However, I can see how psychoanalysis can seem like pseudoscience.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2014, 01:07:21 AM »
I'm 21 haven't had sex the wimminz hate me and bang stupid men.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?