Offline Chap

• View Profile
About the sun and the flat earth model
« on: March 10, 2019, 04:26:19 AM »
Hello, I've seen some pictures of a flat earth where the arctic is the middle and the sun going around it from above. But what about in the southern hemispheres summer (dec-feb) where parts of antarctica are in 24hr daylight? Do another 50 suns suddenly come into force? And do they only light up the outsides of the disc?

Offline TomFoolery

• Seeking truth, the flatter the better
    • View Profile
Re: About the sun and the flat earth model
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 05:17:20 AM »
Hello, I've seen some pictures of a flat earth where the arctic is the middle and the sun going around it from above. But what about in the southern hemispheres summer (dec-feb) where parts of antarctica are in 24hr daylight? Do another 50 suns suddenly come into force? And do they only light up the outsides of the disc?

Many flat earthers say that Antarctica doesn't have 24 hours of sun.
There are time lapse videos on you tube depicting 24 hours of sun, but those are deemed to be fake.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 05:19:47 AM »

I agree that the 24 hour sun at Antarctica (McMurdo Antarctica station for example) is a fatal flaw in those models with the Antarctic continent around the edge and the sun moving in a circular orbit.

Some people claim that this is fake and has never been observed. It is actually quite difficult to prove otherwise. However, tourists can actually camp on the Antarctic Peninsula in summer where you get 21-22 hour days which should be sufficient to disprove those models:

https://www.oneoceanexpeditions.com/antarctica/antarctic-peninsula-adventure
https://theplanetd.com/camping-in-antarctica/

My personal opinion is that even the (just under) 15 hour days that I experience where I live in December (Melbourne, Australia) is a serious challenge to those models because at dawn, the sun is so far away on the "disc" and in totally the wrong direction from where I see it. If 15 hours is not long enough, Punta Arenas (Chile) gets 17 hour days and I found 189 properties on Booking.com there ;)

manicminer

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 03:31:34 PM »
Between Sept 21st and March 21st the Sun lies to the south of the celestial equator. Reaching a maximum extent on December 21st (solstice) when it has a declination of -23 degrees. 

Since the celestial equator encircles the horizon at both of the poles, it follows that the Sun will be above the horizon as seen from Antarctica (23 degrees above the horizon as seen from the S Pole).  Hence there will be 24 hours of daylight because the Sun is always above the horizon.  That is not an opinion but a fact as anyone who has been to the Antarctic region will confirm.

How FE explain that is up to them but you cannot argue with or deny real world experience.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 04:19:56 PM by manicminer »

SeaCritique

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 04:10:44 PM »
There are time lapse videos on you tube depicting 24 hours of sun, but those are deemed to be fake.

However, tourists can actually camp on the Antarctic Peninsula in summer where you get 21-22 hour days which should be sufficient to disprove those models:

Which is it?

Offline TomFoolery

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 04:30:45 PM »

However, tourists can actually camp on the Antarctic Peninsula in summer where you get 21-22 hour days which should be sufficient to disprove those models:

Which is it?

NASA story is that Antarctica is bigger than a dot, and in fact parts of it are as much as 1800 miles away from the geographic north south pole.

So when you go camp on the Antarctic Peninsula, you may be thousands of miles away from the actual north pole, and as such, you would not get 24 hours of sun, but rather 21 to 22 hours.
You'd have to trek 1800 miles inland to get to the pole where you would theoretically get 24 hour sun. And few people want to do that.

EDIT: Fixed north->south
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 05:50:13 PM by TomFoolery »

manicminer

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 04:55:49 PM »
NASA story is that Antarctica is bigger than a dot, and in fact parts of it are as much as 1800 miles away from the geographic north pole

Every point of Antarctica is a lot more than 1800 miles from the north pole but obviously you meant the south pole. I am not sure how far away from the SP this camp on the Antarctic peninsula is but for there to be anything other than 24 hours daylight during the southern hemisphere summer it would need to be north of 66.5 degrees south.

Offline TomFoolery

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 05:58:53 PM »
NASA story is that Antarctica is bigger than a dot, and in fact parts of it are as much as 1800 miles away from the geographic north pole

Every point of Antarctica is a lot more than 1800 miles from the north pole but obviously you meant the south pole. I am not sure how far away from the SP this camp on the Antarctic peninsula is but for there to be anything other than 24 hours daylight during the southern hemisphere summer it would need to be north of 66.5 degrees south.

Yeah, sorry, I woke up with a headache. Not thinking the swiftest.

Fixed my post.

Point remains though that someone camping on a peninsula would definitely not be in the 24 hour sun zone.

But even 22 hours of sunlight is a Major Problem for this Tom!

If the sun's circle of light was large enough to  provide 22 hours of sunlight on the Antarctic Peninsula, Alaska would never have darkness. ever.

Offline jimster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 07:53:51 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_night

At the antarctic circle, the sun will be exactly at the horizon at noon on winter solstice at midnight, it will look like a brief partial sunrise then goes back down. Closer to the pole, more days on either side of solstice the sun will not come up. Move towards the equator, and around the solstice, days will start in mid-morning and end mid-afternoon. Check the sunrise/sunset times for places at various latitudes, try south pole, McMurdo, Punta Arenas, and Singapore.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/

At the equator, days are quite uniform. The farther south or north you go, the more the change in day length by season. Close enough to the poles, and at solstice, the days (summer) and nights (winter) are 24 hours.

Endless documentation by personal report, scientists, explorers, tourists, military, airliners go over the north pole, etc, streaming video, textbook diagrams. All matches - observation, theory and RE geometry.

On FE, requires conspiracy and/or new or different laws of physics.

Gotta call this one for RE.
I am really curious about so many FE things, like how at sunset in Denver, people in St Louis see the dome as dark with stars, while people in Salt Lake City see the same dome as light blue. FE scientists don't know or won't tell me.

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 11:51:40 PM »
Which is it?

Both, and I really think I provided sufficient detail in my comment to make that clear. On Antarctic bases which are near the South Pole, like McMurdo and Amundsen–Scott, the sun is in the sky for 24 hours. On the Antarctic Peninsula, which is where most tourists go due to its proximity to Southern Chile, the sun is in the sky for 21-22 hours. You can try to explain either from a FE perspective, they are both bordering on the impossible.