Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
New Phone or Fix old one- advice request
« on: November 15, 2018, 08:42:26 PM »
So, here's the situation.My phone, an HTC One M9 is 3 and a half years old.  In the last few months, it's been shutting off suddenly.  Battery indicator is anywhere between 45% and 91% (average is about 70%) when it happens.  I'm pretty sure it's the battery and even a factory wipe didn't help.  My attempts to recalibrate the battery did not help.  When I charge it back up so it can boot, it reads the % that it was at when it lost power, unless I let it try to boot then power off a few times. (ie. I try to reboot it, watch it get into the process, then die) only the will it realize it's at 0%.  But even a full charge does nothing to help it.

So it's been shutting off randomly alot.  To the point where I've lost data because of it.  (nothing big, but things like bookmarks, settings, etc..)

So I have 2 options.1. Replace the battery.  That's 500Nok. (like $70)2. Get a new phone on a payment plan. (an additional $37 a month for 2 years)
My biggest unknown is: "How much damage does random poweroffs do to the other systems of a phone?"  Like, has it damaged the cpu or ram and I'll only have problems down the line?

What do you all think?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Phone or Fix old one- advice request
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »
There likely won't be damage.

If you don't need any newer features, then replace the battery. If you want the new hotness, get a new phone. Actually get a new battery and a new phone, keep the M9 as a backup.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 09:38:16 PM »
Concur with junker - damage is unlikely (you'd probably already be able to tell).

The biggest risk I can see is the potentiality of misdiagnosis - that is, if it's not the battery that's the problem, you might be wasting $70.

It honestly sounds like you've diagnosed it accurately, so I'd say the risk is minimal, but of course it's worth keeping in mind.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:57:55 AM »
Thanks you two.  I'm gonna take Junker's advice and get a new phone.  We wanna swap carriers anyway and said carrier has a 50% off first 3 months (of the phone bill) and even then its cheaper.

So I'm getting this:
https://consumer.huawei.com/en/phones/p20-pro/

Huawei p20 pro.  Its a good phone for the price and its very common despite the risk of China spying on me.

Then, once I get the funds, I'll spend the $30 to get a battery and tool kit. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 11:49:31 AM »
I ended up getting the mate20 pro for Christmas.  So far so good.  Threw in apex apex launcher and its working just fine.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 11:32:36 AM »
Well fuck me.

After Trump Ban, Huawei Phones Will Lose Access To Google Software https://n.pr/2WRpFwV

I rely on google.  So losing access to gmail and youtube and maps is not something I can handle.  So guess I need to see if I can find another phone and swap this...

Thanks Trump, ya asshole.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 09:35:16 AM »
I rely on google.  So losing access to gmail and youtube and maps is not something I can handle.  So guess I need to see if I can find another phone and swap this...
Slow down for a moment. A lot of the coverage surrounding this is extremely poor. I'll spare you my usual rant about how much I hate the press, but here's the long and short of it to the best of my understanding:

Current users of Huawei phones will not lose access to Google services -

The restriction that is most likely to affect you is a potential loss of access to security updates. Huawei needs to find a way to keep delivering these (most likely by switching to the base Android Open Source Project rather than Google's commercial version of it), and the US Govt. agreed to relax this restriction for 3 months, so Huawei have some time to figure this out. - https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/20/18633171/huawei-software-updates-phones-google-android-commerce-department

tl;dr: Despite this being an obviously difficult political situation, everyone seems to be in agreement that individual customers shouldn't take the brunt of the damage.

Even though the Evening Standard is a British conservative rag, their article on this is at least not appalling: https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/huawei-google-ban-mean-for-huawei-phone-owners-a4146211.html

(Oh, and if Huawei doesn't sort their shit out in 3 months, you always have the option of switching to a community Android project)
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 09:44:02 AM »
Yeah, saw that.  Trump reversed course a bit but when it hit, it hit hard and fast.  Hence the stock price drops.

But still, its pretty harsh.  I'm actually wondering if its pro-republican even.

On one hand, you have "Fight the non-Americans!  Buy America!" Patriotism.
On the other hand you have the government literally telling business they can't conduct business with another business.  If it was the Chinese government, sure, thats another story but this is private entities being banned from engaging in the market of their choosing.  Which is usually what republicans are against.

Also, while I understand the fears, Google and facebook as well as the phone operators can(and do) spy on us as their leisure.  And I have yet to see proof that Huawei is spying for China.  Its all "Well, they could..."

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 10:14:12 AM »
Well fuck me.

After Trump Ban, Huawei Phones Will Lose Access To Google Software https://n.pr/2WRpFwV

Another victory for Trump. He wants you to buy American you dummy. He's trying to close the trade deficit. He doesn't want you sending your dollars to China. That will make you poor. Trump is having to do this because you are too dim to work out that you should, given the choice, buy American where possible. That means more dollars in the US and more jobs. What an excellent president. I will admire him from afar being as he is unappreciated in his own land.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 01:30:43 PM »
Another victory for Trump. He wants you to buy American you dummy.
How many smart phones are actually made in the USA?  As near as I can tell, Motorola makes a few, and that's about it.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 04:35:53 PM »
Well fuck me.

Another victory for Trump. He wants you to buy American you dummy. He's trying to close the trade deficit. He doesn't want you sending your dollars to China. That will make you poor. Trump is having to do this because you are too dim to work out that you should, given the choice, buy American where possible. That means more dollars in the US and more jobs. What an excellent president. I will admire him from afar being as he is unappreciated in his own land.

I'm not buying an iphone.
Also, you hate google so what should I buy?  An HP?  Catapillar?
Also, if he was doing this to make me buy American, why only one Chinese company that isn't even in the American market?  Why not Samsung or Nokia?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 04:56:05 PM by Lord Dave »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 05:32:37 PM »
Also, if he was doing this to make me buy American, why only one Chinese company that isn't even in the American market?  Why not Samsung or Nokia?

It isn't only about phones. The goal is to prevent a Chinese company from being the dominant provider of next-gen "5G" network infrastructure (which Huawei is trying to do), among other things.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:51:12 PM by junker »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 06:23:23 PM »

It isn't only about phones. The goal is to prevent a Chinese company from being the dominant provider of next-gen "5G" network infrastructure (which Huawei is trying to do), among other things.
I am aware but there are other ways.  Tariff the hell out of the tech or just support other 5G tech makers.

Also: free market and all that.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 06:53:24 PM »
I am aware but there are other ways.  Tariff the hell out of the tech or just support other 5G tech makers.

I don't think that is particularly viable when Huawei is run by a CCP hardliner. It is obviously more nuanced than that, but there are implications well beyond free trade.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 07:51:31 PM »

I don't think that is particularly viable when Huawei is run by a CCP hardliner. It is obviously more nuanced than that, but there are implications well beyond free trade.

I'm still salty about it. 
Besides, if America can't make a better 5G network, they shouldn't be dicks about it.  Yes yes I know, spying.  Honestly, I'd be shocked if the Chinese didn't have the same worry from American tech.

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 08:24:18 AM »
In my own opinion, I think getting a new phone would be the better solution.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 08:32:02 AM »
In my own opinion, I think getting a new phone would be the better solution.
Maybe in 3 years when this one is up for replacement....

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 01:11:10 PM »
5G might not happen.

Turns out 5G runs in the 24Ghz range. And weather satellites happen to run at 23.8GHz.

NASA, NOAA and a host of others have said if you create 5G it will create so much noise that we won't be able to predict the weather and that means no accurate weather for aircraft, shipping, hurricane warnings for cities ... basically lots of people will die. So 5G is going to need a major rethink.
https://news.sky.com/story/new-5g-network-could-interrupt-weather-forecast-satellites-11712100

You can't change the weather satellites frequency. 23.8Ghz is the frequency needed to detect water vapour ... a natural property. So 5G will have to shift ... or die and become 6G on a totally different wave band. But of course upping the frequency will shorten 5G's range even more and it is already a problem requiring a transmitter on every street corner.

I'm coming down on the side of no 5G ever.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 03:50:59 PM »
I like how Thork thinks meteorologists will prevail over corporate greed and corrupt governments.

Rama Set

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 04:12:43 PM »
I like how Thork thinks meteorologists will prevail over corporate greed and corrupt governments.

You don't think the DoD can trump Apple?