Offline rooster

• View Profile
Eurovision
« on: May 09, 2023, 06:02:32 PM »
I don't want to make a new topic for this every year so here we go, generic Eurovision thread.

Who I want to win because it's 10/10 Eurovision shit:

Who will definitely not win at all but it is still ridiculous and weirdly catchy. And I just love that Germans seem to have this quality of flamboyancy and severity at the same time:

Honorable mentions this year:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 06:07:21 PM by rooster »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Eurovision
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 08:23:31 PM »
let's see if thork can resist the thread (we know you still lurk). the rooster/thork banter once a year is worth the price of admission.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 09:19:45 PM »
Good news! 4 out of my 5 favs made it through to the Grand Final.

Bad news is that Germany wasn't one of them. 😔

I knew they wouldn't win but I'm very surprised Croatia advanced instead of them lmao

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 09:35:14 PM »
Oh nvm, Germany is already in the final. They're a member of the big five so they automatically qualify.  🤸
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 01:24:52 PM by rooster »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 09:43:14 AM »
Really? You lot follow Eurovision? I didn't know it was a thing outside Europe.
I used to like it when Terry Wogan (oh Google him) used to do the commentary and take the piss out of it all.
Now, it's a bit shit. I haven't even heard our song.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 12:47:31 PM »
Really? You lot follow Eurovision? I didn't know it was a thing outside Europe.
It's not. Thork brought it up years ago and I've been into the weird trash songs ever since. I've tried to get my friends interested but Americans truly do not care which is weird considering it's one of the few times we can laugh at Europe for being silly.

Will Ferrell did a movie about it in 2020 and still very few Americans seem aware of its existence at all.

I haven't even heard our song.
Your songs are always super boring so I don't even remember what it is.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 12:50:55 PM by rooster »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 03:03:17 PM »
it's one of the few times we can laugh at Europe for being silly.
Didn't you see the Coronation? :)
That's more British silliness than European, but I think it counts.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 11:08:31 PM »
Sweden won with a boring song.

General consensus is that it's only because it's ABBA's 50th anniversary and they want Sweden to host next year. Also that the vote should be 100% public because they're tired of how rigged it is.

Can't say I disagree,  I almost never care about the winners except for Måneskin.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 03:25:49 PM by rooster »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 12:47:36 PM »
The voting is based mostly on politics rather than how good the song is. It’s part of why I’m not interested. In the wake of Brexit we routinely scored very poorly because most of Europe were like “screw you!” (With some justification, to be fair).
We all know why Ukraine won last year.
We did awfully this year but by all accounts the song (which I still haven’t heard, and don’t intend to) was rubbish

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 01:29:40 PM »
The voting is based mostly on politics rather than how good the song is
Yes I know, thank you for mansplaining. I previously said why they think the juries went the way they did. Italy won the first year after COVID because they had it so rough but fortunately Måneskin was also great.

England's songs are also always shit but not enough to come in last. Same with Germany. And if the public had their way Finland would have won.

Anyway, the winner isn't what makes it fun, it's the songs and performances. I still listen to older Eurovision songs that I liked.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2023, 07:47:48 PM »
I still wish they would stop singing in English. Half of the interesting stuff about Europe is the linguistic diversity that was wiped out by colonialism in most other parts of the world. Why suppress it?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 09:41:20 PM »
I still wish they would stop singing in English. Half of the interesting stuff about Europe is the linguistic diversity that was wiped out by colonialism in most other parts of the world. Why suppress it?
Couldn't agree more.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2023, 08:40:25 AM »
The voting is based mostly on politics rather than how good the song is
Yes I know, thank you for mansplaining.
You can fuck off with that shit. My gender and yours are irrelevant.
If I'm doing anything then it's Britsplaining. But given that Eurovision is a European thing and you're in the US, there's no reason to think you'd know all the history of Eurovision. You said yourself it's not really a thing in the US. Would you like any more chips* with your shoulder?

*Chips are what we call "fries" #britsplaining

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2023, 10:38:20 AM »
Indeed, your mansplaining has extremely little to do with your gender, and extremely much to do with your attitude.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 11:13:06 AM »
Indeed, your mansplaining has extremely little to do with your gender
Then it's not mansplaining, is it?
I'm interested to know how you or rooster inferred my "attitude" from the above post.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2023, 11:38:48 AM »
Then it's not mansplaining, is it?
It most certainly is. The word "mansplaining" originated as a gender-specific term more than a decade ago, but it has since evolved to represent a general attitude - that of an arrogant person confidently explaining something they have little knowledge about to someone of equal of greater level of expertise than themselves, presenting themselves as superior to the mansplainee. It's still commonly associated to men talking down to someone (n.b., not women), but it's hardly a requirement.

Now, you're gonna go on a truly heart-tugging story about your iNtEnTiOnS, I know; but you simply have to work on how you present yourself. If it talks like a duck, and walks like a duck, etc., etc.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2023, 01:16:12 PM »
But given that Eurovision is a European thing and you're in the US, there's no reason to think you'd know all the history of Eurovision.
lol I literally made this topic and I've been watching Eurovision for years now, which I've already said. And I already said why Sweden won which should clue you in that I'm aware the songs are never chosen based on merit.

You said yourself it's not really a thing in the US. Would you like any more chips* with your shoulder?
It's not at all but that has nothing to do with how much I know. I only mentioned how it's not a thing here because I've tried getting my friends involved which again should clue you in that I am already a fan.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 01:26:12 PM by rooster »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2023, 03:31:44 PM »
Germany's Lord of the Lost made a cover of Finland's Cha Cha Cha song. I love this kind of support - feels like a 'fuck you' to the juries.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2023, 10:49:42 AM »
Boo.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/18/eurovision-abba-wont-perform-despite-sweden-hosting-on-50th-anniversary-18803297/

I'd probably have watched if they had. They should do one last tour, they could charge what they liked. There's the show in London with "ABBAtars", I'm sure it's good but it's stupidly expensive given that it's not actually them.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2023, 12:34:13 PM »
Boo.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/18/eurovision-abba-wont-perform-despite-sweden-hosting-on-50th-anniversary-18803297/

I'd probably have watched if they had. They should do one last tour, they could charge what they liked. There's the show in London with "ABBAtars", I'm sure it's good but it's stupidly expensive given that it's not actually them.
Good.

‘Anybody who thinks it’s anything to do with the fact that it’s ABBA’s 50th anniversary next year –  that is a conspiracy theory we mustn’t indulge,’ she fired back.
Says the winner. Ok ma'am whatever you'd like to tell yourself. ::)