Ghost of V

Re: Ask a Jew anything.
« Reply #1460 on: November 06, 2014, 01:59:25 AM »
You didn't answer any of my questions, Jaakov.

« Reply #1461 on: November 06, 2014, 02:10:42 AM »
If I see a watch, and you tell me it has no maker, you have to prove that it doesn't. I assume naturally that it does. If I see the universe, and you tell me it has no maker, you must prove to me that it doesn't. I assume that it does until then. I realise that is difficult to comprehend for the atheist, given the peabrain nature of what's going on between their ears, but...

Why does the Universe require a maker? This is like saying "I see a rock so it assume it was made by someone".

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: November 06, 2014, 02:11:00 AM »
If I see a watch, and you tell me it has no maker, you have to prove that it doesn't. I assume naturally that it does.

What made god? I assume naturally that god has a maker.

« Reply #1463 on: November 06, 2014, 02:22:57 AM »
Vaux, I get to them tomorrow. My wife will be home soon. See you then.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: November 06, 2014, 02:23:16 AM »
If I see a watch, and you tell me it has no maker, you have to prove that it doesn't. I assume naturally that it does. If I see the universe, and you tell me it has no maker, you must prove to me that it doesn't. I assume that it does until then. I realise that is difficult to comprehend for the atheist, given the peabrain nature of what's going on between their ears, but...
Only if you were told watches are made.  If you had never seen a watch, how would you know it didn't occur naturally?

Also: watches are not naturally occurring on Earth. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #1465 on: November 06, 2014, 02:35:22 AM »

I dont know any atheists that say the universe is eternal.  I definitely believe the universe had a "maker", however I would contest that the "maker" of the universe must necessarily be a conscious being.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 02:38:43 AM by Rama Set »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: November 06, 2014, 02:37:51 AM »
Also: watches are not naturally occurring on Earth.

Incorrect. Earth is inhabited by organisms which create watches through natural means.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: November 06, 2014, 02:53:46 AM »
Incorrect. Earth is inhabited by organisms which create watches through natural means.

Please tell me about these organisms that naturally make watches.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: November 06, 2014, 02:57:05 AM »
They are the most dangerous and destructive animals on the planet, but they are also the cleverest. You may know of them as... Human Beans.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: November 06, 2014, 03:01:36 AM »
They are the most dangerous and destructive animals on the planet, but they are also the cleverest. You may know of them as... Human Beans.

I would say something about the term "natural" not including man made objects but I thought you were referencing humans. I guess beans count as natural, but I would very much like a citation on these watch-making beans.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: November 06, 2014, 03:02:40 AM »
Confirmed, as a Hunan bean iattest my body naturally produces watches. 
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: November 06, 2014, 03:03:56 AM »
Confirmed, as a Hunan bean iattest my body naturally produces watches.

This is acceptable evidence.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: November 06, 2014, 03:16:48 AM »

This is an inherently flawed argument and you know it, and the fact that you're falling back on it suggests that you have no good arguments and you know it.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: November 06, 2014, 03:19:42 AM »

This is an inherently flawed argument and you know it, and the fact that you're falling back on it suggests that you have no good arguments and you know it.

Or that the thread has pretty much flatlined and he is posting a bad argument combined with "only dum ppl don't beleve this!!!!11!" in an attempt to rev the thread back up to troll mode.

« Reply #1474 on: November 06, 2014, 03:33:36 AM »

Prove that it is inherently flawed. If you can't, shut your yap.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: November 06, 2014, 05:06:44 AM »

Prove that it is inherently flawed. If you can't, shut your yap.

You have a much higher standard for others than you do for yourself.

The universe is not a watch. I don't look at the Grand Canyon and assume that it's the result of a massive construction project. I assume, correctly, that it is the result of undirected natural processes over unimaginable amounts of time. You can't compare the universe to a watch without adequately explaining what makes the two similar. What property does a watch have that proves that it is intelligently designed which the universe shares but demonstrably complex natural structures do not?

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: November 06, 2014, 05:11:45 AM »
This is starting to remind me of theoretical mathematics. You can create a universe where the logic is entirely self-sufficient (or at least appears to be), but that doesn't mean it's real.

« Reply #1477 on: November 06, 2014, 05:23:05 AM »
Explain how the universe is NOT like a watch. As a former bookie, I can tell you myself, in spite of what people stupidly say in this forum, the odds of the Earth alone (forget about the rest of the universe) being built with just the right amount of chemicals and what-not to support life is so-far from likely that its stupid. I mean, you couldn't get a bookie to offer odds on that.

And then some schmuck says that the universe may have occurred in a non-random way but still without a Creator. That, of course, surpasses every argument for stupid I've EVER heard. I mean, a universe like ours (hell, again, just leave it to an Earth like ours) occurring randomly is next to impossible, let alone it occurring naturally through non-random events, but without a Creator. That one just takes the taco for stupid.

And no, this is not ad hominem. This is statement of information. There comes a point when you have to question the intelligence of people. This is one of those times.

So, you don't question who made a doghouse, but you do question who made the dog. Explain how that is not fucking retarded. Just the fact that said dog is built with a logically put together structure indicates that its design was planned. That is why it has duplication of some bodily organisms, so one can take over if the other fails.

You still haven't proven the argument false yet. Keep trying, though. I find it humourous.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: November 06, 2014, 05:26:24 AM »
You haven't answered who created God, if everything requires creation
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

« Reply #1479 on: November 06, 2014, 05:41:31 AM »
There are hundreds of billions of stars in the universe, likely with their own planets around them.  The fact that at least one developed life is actually very good when compared to how many planets there could be.