Thork

Flat Earth Wiki trends
« on: January 17, 2015, 05:12:18 PM »
I happened to be looking at Wikipedia trends and thought the data may be at least interesting, if not useful. It shows how often someone looks at the wiki page for 'flat earth' and for 'Modern flat earth societies'.

http://www.wikipediatrends.com/Flat_Earth.html

http://www.wikipediatrends.com/Modern_flat_Earth_societies.html

Our two pages. The modern flat earth societies being a new page created in November last year.

Two things struck me. The first is that around 800 people a day read the 'flat earth' page and 600 a day read the 'modern flat earth societies' page.

That leads to two questions. How do we drive traffic from there to here ... so they can learn more. They obviously have an interest to read the wiki page.  How can we get a 'talk to real flat-earthers' type message on those pages?

The other thing and it is just of interest. 'flat earth' seems to peak strongly at the beginning of every January and slowly lose momentum right through to December when it peaks again. I can't really explain that and wondered if anyone else had an explanation?

Ghost of V

Re: Flat Earth Wiki trends
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 11:02:25 PM »
The only idea I can come up with in regards to filtering some of the viewers from wikipedia to our page is to add a section on the Flat Earth wikipedia page explaining how our modern day Flat Earth Theory works. Write up an explanation on how modern FET works complete with sources and citations to our wiki or maybe even  forum posts from people like Tom Bishop or others. Although I don't know how wikipedia would react if we cited forum posts as a source, but it wouldn't necessarily be dishonest in any way since most of our theories get fleshed out through the forums.

I see there is already a small section on modern Flat Earth theory, but many of the sources do not link to us. Might be a good idea to change some of those sources.

As far as the trends go, I think you're looking for a pattern in useless data, so I don't have anything to add on that.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:05:36 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Earth Wiki trends
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 12:01:09 AM »
The modern flat earth societies being a new page created in November last year.
Minor correction: Modern Flat Earth Societies existed for a long time, but it was named Flat Earth Society. It's been renamed on the basis of the article referring to more than one society.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume