Thork

Re: REQUEST FOR COMMENTS: Reunification Proposal
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2015, 07:59:27 PM »
Because we all know that a poll on my end will be as effective as... well as effective as the incumbent administration.

I don't understand. Make a poll, or contact your admins to make a poll. This isn't really our problem. If your admins refuse to acknowledge the userbase on their own forum then there's not much we can do to help you.
Of course, very shortly half of them will be our admins ... and still just as unconcerned about our opinions, and it really will be our problem.

I think all this boils down to Daniel noticing our presence on Wikipedia and then facebook and not liking the idea that this half was on its way to being more successful. He wants to either remain in charge, or slow our progress which is now very apparent by everything being left until "after reunification". A process he will be in no hurry to resolve. I can't fathom pizaaplanet's motives. Why he'd rather be confined to Daniel's terms than doing whatever he sees as best here, I can't work out. He obviously has some motive that he won't share and its likely dark and evil because that is the type of mischievous little git that he is.  >:(

I know pizaaplanet will rush in here to tell everyone my opinion is that of a crazed loon and not to listen and that I've had my say, but it seems despite Pongo confirming my suspicions about the attitudes and motives of our new overlords, no one is listening. Hearing yes, listening, no. I cannot have my way on this as I am in the minority, but I'd very much like to store up a huge "I told you so" and this is part of it.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2015, 08:03:06 PM »
Oh, so it's not really about reuniting a community as much as getting the .org with the higher Google results?  That's fine if that's what it is, but it really shouldn't be called a reunification proposal.
There is a thread about it on the other forum.

However, as we are not full members there (not all of us anyway) we do not have a say in the political procedures.  Daniel, Wilmore, and Davis are the ones who should be talking to you about it, making a poll, etc...

You can't expect us to do this work for you when it's not our forum.

I'm sure that the natives in the Mid-Americas would have liked to have been consulted when France sold a large landmass to the United States government.  Does it make it okay because the French government sucked?  Does it make the voices of the purchased less meaningful?  Did they feel okay about being acquired because their comments fell upon the deaf ears of their government?

Or, do you think that it would have been nice if there were even allowed to vote?  It's not like we're talking about strangers, these are people engaged in a community that is about to be merged and because our "government" is ineffective and aloof we get no say.  And when one tries to make their voice heard, their vote is stricken away.  Gotham isn't a stranger either, we all know him (or at least of him).

I have no experience with how these forums are ran, but it seems to me that we will be replacing one tyrant for another. 

I will be perfectly happy to have Gotham's vote unstricken.  I feel it will show that the administration of this forum is at least amiable to the wants of the members of the "old" forum.

Why?
This vote is for this forum's members.  Why not just make a poll on your end?  Based on what I know about the admins here, if there was a sizable "no" on that end, they'd probably bring that issue up before the merger.

Or would you prefer I do it for you?

It's your problem because of this, "It's not our problem" attitude.  A significant portion of the people being effected by the merger have no voice in it whatsoever (Their side doesn't listen and their vote is taken away by the side that expounds its benevolence to the users -- Am I seriously the only one that sees the irony in that?) and when that issue is addressed we get a response that amounts to "lol, not our problem."

Try imagining it in reverse; Saddam posts a link on these forums that says the "old" site is going to merge with this site and all the rules from theirs will override.  The admins on the site you actively post on are non-existent (remember, you're pretending) and when you wander over to the other to see if your voice matters, you are told that only posters that have >50 posts on this site can vote (mind you that the deadline to obtain 50 posts was set in the past).  You say that this is going to effect you and you should at the very least have a say and all you get are replies saying, "Sorry, not our problem.  Try talking to your admins that we all know don't respond to anyone."

Do you begin to at least see the point of view I'm raising?  Do you begin to see why, "it's not our problem" sounds indecorous in light of the position we are in?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2015, 08:05:24 PM »
Because we all know that a poll on my end will be as effective as... well as effective as the incumbent administration.

I don't understand. Make a poll, or contact your admins to make a poll. This isn't really our problem. If your admins refuse to acknowledge the userbase on their own forum then there's not much we can do to help you.
Of course, very shortly half of them will be our admins ... and still just as unconcerned about our opinions, and it really will be our problem.

I think all this boils down to Daniel noticing our presence on Wikipedia and then facebook and not liking the idea that this half was on its way to being more successful. He wants to either remain in charge, or slow our progress which is now very apparent by everything being left until "after reunification". A process he will be in no hurry to resolve. I can't fathom pizaaplanet's motives. Why he'd rather be confined to Daniel's terms than doing whatever he sees as best here, I can't work out. He obviously has some motive that he won't share and its likely dark and evil because that is the type of mischievous little git that he is.  >:(

I know pizaaplanet will rush in here to tell everyone my opinion is that of a crazed loon and not to listen and that I've had my say, but it seems despite Pongo confirming my suspicions about the attitudes and motives of our new overlords, no one is listening. Hearing yes, listening, no. I cannot have my way on this as I am in the minority, but I'd very much like to store up a huge "I told you so" and this is part of it.

Have you actually read the proposal as it's written in the OP of this thread?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »

You seem to be missing the point. pizaaplanet and Parsifal will be running the forum after reunification. It's as if you're ignoring this point on purpose.

Do you begin to at least see the point of view I'm raising?  Do you begin to see why, "it's not our problem" sounds indecorous in light of the position we are in?

No, I don't. It's not our problem because we can't control your admins or mods. Get your own things together and create a poll. If that poll shows that the userbase at .org does not want to unify, then I'm sure the matter will be brought to the attention of PP and Parsifal and appropriate measures will be taken. All you're doing now is whining. Do something productive.

You are aware that theflatearthsociety.org and tfes.org are different sites right?

Since you seem to be just as inactive as Daniel in getting your issues resolved. I'll make the damn poll for you. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 08:08:03 PM by Vauxhall »

Thork

« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2015, 08:11:01 PM »
No, I don't. It's not our problem because we can't control your admins or mods. Get your own things together and create a poll. If that poll shows that the userbase at .org does not want to unify, then I'm sure the matter will be brought to the attention of PP and Parsifal and appropriate measures will be taken. All you're doing now is whining. Do something productive.

You are aware that theflatearthsociety.org and tfes.org are different sites right?

Since you seem to be just as inactive as Daniel in getting your issues resolved. I'll make the damn poll for you. Stay tuned.
A history lesson for Vauxy. The old site has been run badly for many many years. Those with the get up and go to try something else came here. Those with no desire to do anything about the shit state of affairs on the other site, stayed. Pongo stayed. How then do you think he is going to muster the energy with all the other can't be bothered to change anything members of his site to actually change something? All the people who would do anything about the mistreatment of users on the other site are already here.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2015, 08:16:34 PM »

I appreciate your words and agree with you on most points, but to be fair, I'm being steamrolled by the members here, not the administration.  I think that I've articulately presented my point and I wait the feelings and comments of people that can speak for the merger -- not at the merger. 

I'm lingering to try and clarify my position and get the people self-admitting ignorance to at least see my point of view.  It's easy to not be empathetic when you're in the majority, but I'll see what I can do about that.

Ghost of V

« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2015, 08:22:58 PM »
A history lesson for Vauxy. The old site has been run badly for many many years. Those with the get up and go to try something else came here. Those with no desire to do anything about the shit state of affairs on the other site, stayed. Pongo stayed. How then do you think he is going to muster the energy with all the other can't be bothered to change anything members of his site to actually change something? All the people who would do anything about the mistreatment of users on the other site are already here.

I've been a member since 2007. I am aware of the concerns.

I have created the poll.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62575.0#.VLQtACvF9fQ

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2015, 08:28:43 PM »

I have created the poll.

What are you trying to prove with that poll?  All it shows me is your inability to listen to my concerns and responses as you bull ahead with your initial proposal that's already been addressed as flawed.

Ghost of V

« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2015, 08:31:56 PM »

I have created the poll.

What are you trying to prove with that poll?  All it shows me is your inability to listen to my concerns and responses as you bull ahead with your initial proposal that's already been addressed as flawed.

I am taking action to determine if .org supports reunification, which is something you refuse to do or are simply too lazy to do. This is not personal.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2015, 08:33:27 PM »
Well what are your concerns then? You're angry that no one is listening and then get angry when someone tries to make a poll about it on that site - what is it that you want to be heard?

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2015, 08:42:32 PM »
Well what are your concerns then? You're angry that no one is listening and then get angry when someone tries to make a poll about it on that site - what is it that you want to be heard?

The poll is clearly a farce.  It's patronizing and as relevant as a poll on your favorite ice cream flavor if the results aren't used for anything.  Vauxhall can't assure anyone that the poll is anything other than hot air.  Has any administrator of either site said they would factor in the results of this poll?  It's like telling me you'll listen to me after you lock me in a soundproof room and frankly, your obtusity in matter is insulting.

If I just wanted to hear myself talk I would post in CN.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2015, 08:43:51 PM »
What are your concerns about the merger?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2015, 08:44:58 PM »

The poll is clearly a farce.  It's patronizing and as relevant as a poll on your favorite ice cream flavor if the results aren't used for anything.  Vauxhall can't assure anyone that the poll is anything other than hot air.  Has any administrator of either site said they would factor in the results of this poll?  It's like telling me you'll listen to me after you lock me in a soundproof room and frankly, your obtusity in matter is insulting.

The only people who could make a meaningful poll, then, are Daniel and Wilmore, right? So why are you complaining to us?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2015, 08:48:02 PM »
I don't think you understand, Pongo. Your voice isn't being heard because your administration decided it doesn't need to be heard. It's not our problem how Daniel decides how things are run on his site, and it's not our job to invite people from Daniel's site to raise their concerns in regards to how our site is run. I'm sorry, but it just seems to me like you have a problem with Daniel, not us. He's the one who's decided to not give his community the courtesy of making this kind of decision for themselves.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 08:50:25 PM by Blanko »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2015, 08:57:37 PM »
The poll is limited to people who had made at least fifty posts prior to Dec 27th simply to ensure that everyone voting is at least reasonably invested in the community here.  It sucks that gotham's vote can't be counted, as we all know that he's sincere despite his low post count, but I can't think of a better way to make sure that the voting is representative of our community, and it would be something of a slippery slope to start making exceptions on an individual basis.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2015, 09:20:09 PM »
Oh, so it's not really about reuniting a community as much as getting the .org with the higher Google results?  That's fine if that's what it is, but it really shouldn't be called a reunification proposal.

However, as we are not full members there (not all of us anyway) we do not have a say in the political procedures.  Daniel, Wilmore, and Davis are the ones who should be talking to you about it, making a poll, etc...

I'm sure that the natives in the Mid-Americas would have liked to have been consulted when France sold a large landmass to the United States government.  Does it make it okay because the French government sucked?  Does it make the voices of the purchased less meaningful?  Did they feel okay about being acquired because their comments fell upon the deaf ears of their government?

Or, do you think that it would have been nice if there were even allowed to vote?  It's not like we're talking about strangers, these are people engaged in a community that is about to be merged and because our "government" is ineffective and aloof we get no say.  And when one tries to make their voice heard, their vote is stricken away.  Gotham isn't a stranger either, we all know him (or at least of him).

I have no experience with how these forums are ran, but it seems to me that we will be replacing one tyrant for another. 

I will be perfectly happy to have Gotham's vote unstricken.  I feel it will show that the administration of this forum is at least amiable to the wants of the members of the "old" forum.

Why?
This vote is for this forum's members.  Why not just make a poll on your end?  Based on what I know about the admins here, if there was a sizable "no" on that end, they'd probably bring that issue up before the merger.

It's your problem because of this, "It's not our problem" attitude.  A significant portion of the people being effected by the merger have no voice in it whatsoever (Their side doesn't listen and their vote is taken away by the side that expounds its benevolence to the users -- Am I seriously the only one that sees the irony in that?) and when that issue is addressed we get a response that amounts to "lol, not our problem."

Try imagining it in reverse; Saddam posts a link on these forums that says the "old" site is going to merge with this site and all the rules from theirs will override.  The admins on the site you actively post on are non-existent (remember, you're pretending) and when you wander over to the other to see if your voice matters, you are told that only posters that have >50 posts on this site can vote (mind you that the deadline to obtain 50 posts was set in the past).  You say that this is going to effect you and you should at the very least have a say and all you get are replies saying, "Sorry, not our problem.  Try talking to your admins that we all know don't respond to anyone."

I understand your point.  Now here's mine.

You chose to stay.  You chose admins who don't give a damn.  You chose a poorly run forum.  This isn't like two countries: you could move with the ease of a few clicks.  Hell, you could have posted in BOTH forums and we wouldn't care.    The way I see it, you basically said "Yes, I will let Daniel decide the forum."  It was your choice and now that Daniel is doing it, you're being angry.  I'm sorry but Daniel is your representative in the forum merger just like PP and Parsifal is ours.

Though if you think a poll would be useless, why do you want to vote here?  It would be equally useless then, wouldn't it?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2015, 09:20:48 PM »
The poll is limited to people who had made at least fifty posts prior to Dec 27th simply to ensure that everyone voting is at least reasonably invested in the community here.  It sucks that gotham's vote can't be counted, as we all know that he's sincere despite his low post count, but I can't think of a better way to make sure that the voting is representative of our community, and it would be something of a slippery slope to start making exceptions on an individual basis.

I agree.

I don't think you understand, Pongo. Your voice isn't being heard because your administration decided it doesn't need to be heard. It's not our problem how Daniel decides how things are run on his site, and it's not our job to invite people from Daniel's site to raise their concerns in regards to how our site is run. I'm sorry, but it just seems to me like you have a problem with Daniel, not us. He's the one who's decided to not give his community the courtesy of making this kind of decision for themselves.

I've already addressed the "it's not our problem" argument.

The only people who could make a meaningful poll, then, are Daniel and Wilmore, right? So why are you complaining to us?

I've already addressed the "it's not our problem" argument.

What are your concerns about the merger?

About the merger specifically?  Nothing really.  My concerns are about the way a significant portion of the people effected are being steamrolled while at the same time people are throwing around worlds like "community," "unity," "unification."  It all seems so dichotomous when people say things like "We're merging whether you like it our not and it's not our problem if no one will listen to you.  We are going to hold a vote to determine if the will happen but you can only vote if you have 50 or more posts in our club.  It's no matter if you have been a member of society as a greater, if you don't have 50 posts in our club you cannot be heard.  We will not even grant you a token of friendship by allowing 1 meaningless vote; it's 50 posts or you may as well be a stump.  No matter that we are about to merge with you, we simply don't care what you have to say.  Perhaps if you have 50 posts in our club then we would hear you, but you don't.  Sorry (not really sorry though).  But don't feel bad, of the two societies we are the one that cares about the users*"

If all else were equal and things were reversed I know the users here would voice a concern.

I guess in the end, it's nice that your community gets a voice.  Never mind that it's soon to be our community.

*Users with 50 or more posts in our club mind you.  The rest can all bugger yourselves for it's not our problem that you didn't make your 50 arbitrary posts before our arbitrary deadline we set in the past.  And it's not our problem your administration sucks.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2015, 09:24:55 PM »

Why?

You chose to stay.  You chose admins who don't give a damn.  You chose a poorly run forum.  This isn't like two countries: you could move with the ease of a few clicks.  Hell, you could have posted in BOTH forums and we wouldn't care.    The way I see it, you basically said "Yes, I will let Daniel decide the forum."  It was your choice and now that Daniel is doing it, you're being angry.  I'm sorry but Daniel is your representative in the forum merger just like PP and Parsifal is ours.

Though if you think a poll would be useless, why do you want to vote here?  It would be equally useless then, wouldn't it?

I understand most of your point (more on that later) and have been trying to get people to realize that this merger feels like a slap in the face.  Like no one cares what we think or how we feel.  And it sets a poor prescience for the pending merger.  I'm sorry I didn't make 50 arbitrary posts here before Dec 27th.  Perhaps if I had people would see me as one of them, not one of the others.

I don't understand your question about the poll.

Ghost of V

« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »
The merger will result in a unified community with better administration. You obviously dislike the way Daniel is handling things, and this unification will hopefully resolve that. I don't understand your concerns.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2015, 09:29:05 PM »

Why?

I understand most of your point (more on that later) and have been trying to get people to realize that this merger feels like a slap in the face.  Like no one cares what we think or how we feel.  And it sets a poor prescience for the pending merger.  I'm sorry I didn't make 50 arbitrary posts here before Dec 27th.  Perhaps if I had people would see me as one of them, not one of the others.

I don't understand your question about the poll.
Ok so:
the poll.  You want to vote.  Ok.  We let you vote here.  So we gotta let everyone on the .org forum vote here too.
Why would that be any different than posting a poll there?  The same people would vote for the same thing.  They'd just have to register an account to do so.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.