Offline Venus

• View Profile
Universal Acceleration at higher altitudes
« on: December 26, 2018, 08:33:48 AM »
Most flat earthers seem to deny the existence of gravity.
I have seen some try to explain that objects fall to the ground because of density
But the flat earth society has created a novel idea called Universal Acceleration, whereby the flat earth is accelerating "upward" at the rate of 9.8 m/s^2.
If the whole earth is accelerating at the same speed how does this explain that at higher altitudes (eg on top of a mountain) objects fall at a slower speed?
Obviously on a spherical earth gravity decreases as an object moves further away from the centre of the earth.
But for a flat earth Universal Acceleration fails to explain why the acceleration of falling bodies is not constant at different altitudes.

Any ideas?
Because I live on the 'bottom' of a spinning spherical earth ...
*I cannot see Polaris, but I can see the Southern Cross
*When I look at the stars they appear to rotate clockwise, not anti-clockwise
*I see the moon 'upside down'
I've travelled to the Northern Hemisphere numerous times ... and seen how different the stars and the moon are 'up' there!
Come on down and check it out FE believers... !!

ShootingStar

Re: Universal Acceleration at higher altitudes
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 09:29:19 AM »
One of the many holes which appears in the FET when you start analysing it. FET seems to be one of those 'make it up as you go along' theories and then try to defend it by producing quotes from sources which belong in antiquity rather than the present day.

I am sure someone will come up with what they perceive as a perfectly reasonably explanation and I will be as interested as you to read it.  In the meantime I am still waiting for response to my request for a detailed description of the various layers that a FE would be made up of.

I am also intrigued as to how density can have any effect on how objects fall. My understanding is that the only relevant property of a body that influences the rate of acceleration is the mass.  For very light objects near the Earths surface of course air resistance becomes significant so that is why feathers, snowflakes or even just dust and appear to float rather than fall.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Universal Acceleration at higher altitudes
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 11:59:48 AM »
Learn the basics before posting.

Q: Why does gravity vary with altitude?

A: The moon and stars have a slight gravitational pull.

Venus, this is the second time I'm asking you to read the basics before posting. Please try to comply with this simple request.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume