Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
FE as a cultural phenomenon.
« on: May 18, 2017, 10:50:18 AM »
This thread is directed at the local FE's and RE's who inhabit this forum.

Where do you think FE will be in twelve months?
I'm assuming this forum will still be here, but it may be a very crowded house.
This could be bigger than the sixties peace movement.
Its morphing into a tsunami online, every one who can write "Yo Mama" is posting a video.

Look, I'm a true believer, I admit I'm pretty ignorant, but never the less.
And that's why I'm asking the question, where will we be in 12 mths.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:52:24 AM by Dither »
A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
Re: FE as a cultural phenomenon.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »

Mmm, not quite the same as the hippies, they wanted a change of direction to a slower, greener evolution, and drugs (lots of drugs).

FE is dragging us back to before the enlightenment, they are like creation scientists, trawling the edges of knowledge, looking for grey areas and controversy so they can say “hey this bit doesn’t work, therefore my personal theory that shooting stars are falling suns, must be right”.

YouTube is the worst thing to happen for the gullible, the dim, the paranoid and the badly educated as they can’t sort the chaff, so they go for the shiny, scary and loud.

On a personal level I hope it stays roughly the same, would be nice if the better elements from the other site came here, spice things up a bit, Oh and more drugs.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

geckothegeek

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 05:22:01 PM »
I don't think it's going to affect the real, working world a bit.
They are not about going to scrap all their charts and maps in favor of a "flat earth map."
First place, there are no "flat earth maps."
The question "how about this website ?"    I wouldn't venture a guess. Time will tell.
All of the members of the so-called "conspiracy" will just go about their business as usual.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 05:25:19 PM »
It already has (and you know it, too!), so you can throw that guess out of the window ;)
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 06:38:25 PM »
It already has (and you know it, too!), so you can throw that guess out of the window ;)
How has it affected the real working world?  Planes still fly great circle routes, ships don't sail off the edge, people still study astrophysics, satellites still relay calls and show weather.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 07:34:02 PM »
Planes still fly great circle routes, ships don't sail off the edge, people still study astrophysics, satellites still relay calls and show weather.
*yawn*
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

geckothegeek

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 11:48:38 PM »
How has it affected the real working world?  Planes still fly great circle routes, ships don't sail off the edge, people still study astrophysics, satellites still relay calls and show weather.

I haven't heard of any affect to the Astronomical Observatories , NASA, USN or the FAA in the USA.

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 09:31:53 PM »
Here they come everyone, hopefully they will stay,
The advantage with this forum is that you don't get your head torn off here.
So if your reading this and your new (like me) please interact.

And while your here, don't forget to visit the gift shop for some FET tee Shirts.
A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 09:06:42 PM »
Just bringing this thread back for roundy, the last one was spammed.

And since I posted this there has been a moderate increase in traffic but nothing like I thought would happen.

Flat Earth for myself is a bit like getting into a band before they are famous, then after they make their breakthrough album say, "Oh but their early stuff was heaps better." Only problem is, I came in with the breakthrough album and I haven't listened to much of the early stuff.

devils advocate

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 09:23:17 PM »

And since I posted this there has been a moderate increase in traffic but nothing like I thought would happen.

Hey Dither.  :) Maybe those who join are, like me, people who struggle to understand why anyone would think the earth was flat, the frustration is that Tom seems to stop answering just at the crucial point in the debate thus the chance if converts is low. I have read and asked, had a few answers and digested those but at the crux the responses stop. Another convert lost :-(

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 07:44:47 AM »
Maybe those who join are, like me, people who struggle to understand why anyone would think the earth was flat,

Yes there are those types,

But there are also those who are FEers and the Roundies attack them and they run away and move to other places where people share their views. (As you do, we are only human after all) I came from the other flat earth forum which was way too aggressive for my tender sensibilities, but I was already convinced beforehand anyway.

This forum is well moderated and most of the Roundies on here are a little nicer to deal with.
But both forums are great IMO because they give you real world reactions and whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. 

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 09:09:38 PM »
I'm a roundy, but I share FE ideas at lunch with my co-workers.  Everybody LOVES it.  I make all the FE arguments as best I can and am the designated Flat Earth information resource.  It is all fun, but nobody actually believes the Earth is not a globe.  For me the flat-earth movement is all about that.

I believe that 6 month from the original post, and 6 months from now, the Flat Earth movement will be exactly what it is today;
An interesting, shallow thought experiment that is fun to discuss with friends.
The hallmark of true science is repeatability to the point of accurate prediction.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 10:20:14 PM »
I'm a roundy, but I share FE ideas at lunch with my co-workers.  Everybody LOVES it.  I make all the FE arguments as best I can and am the designated Flat Earth information resource.  It is all fun, but nobody actually believes the Earth is not a globe.  For me the flat-earth movement is all about that.

I believe that 6 month from the original post, and 6 months from now, the Flat Earth movement will be exactly what it is today;

It is definitely an interesting mental challenge to build a construction of ideas that could make the FE world work - but honestly, it's futile.  It can't be done.   It's not just that FE theories can be disproved - it's that problems of the topology of Flat Earth maps (things like the Quadrilateral Of Cities thing) make it entirely impossible for ANY FE theory to work.  Not just this one or that one...ALL of them.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 07:25:51 PM »

I personally don't know any FE'ers but my best friend does.   He describes the man as delusional with an argument for everything until he gets backed into a corner with logic.  Then he just claims everyone is brainwashed.   LOL

Interestingly enough he is the reason I found this place.  I really thought it was a joke until I read the great Tom Bishop and all his wisdom.  Now I am a true believer.  Not in FE but that there are some nutty ideas and a lot of believers.  Facts be damned.

Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?