janyce yarborough

are the sun and moon the same size?
« on: April 24, 2015, 01:55:48 AM »
so, I'm confused  ???
are the sun and the moon exactly the same size?

if so, that seems like a pretty big coincidence to me!!!

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: are the sun and moon the same size?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 04:27:05 AM »
Is it a coincidence that the biggest sand dunes on the monterey bay are about the same size, just below which can be sustained in the winds in that area?

The real coincidence is how the sun and the moon appear the be the same size in the sky, 0.5 degrees, despite the sun being 400 times as far and millions of times larger.

janyce yarborough

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 04:28:37 AM »
Is it a coincidence that the biggest sand dunes on the monterey bay are about the same size, just below which can be sustained in the winds in that area?

The only coincidence is how the sun and the moon appear the be the same size in the sky, 0.5 degrees, despite the sun being 400 times as far and millions of times larger.

but I thought they both were really like 30 miles wide

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 04:59:55 AM »

The only coincidence is how the sun and the moon appear the be the same size in the sky, 0.5 degrees, despite the sun being 400 times as far and millions of times larger.

Not under RET they arent.

janyce yarborough

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 05:05:09 AM »

Not under RET they arent.

huh ok. so my theory is that they're just the same because God made them that way! to me there's no other possible answer as to why they're the same size. it's just too big a coincidince to have happened by chance! someone designed it that way on purpose!

I know some of you probably don't believe in God and that's ok but please don't be mean to those who do!

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 12:23:57 PM »

The real coincidence is how the sun and the moon appear the be the same size in the sky, 0.5 degrees, despite the sun being 400 times as far and millions of times larger.
The OP is asking about the sizes of the FET sun and moon.  The RET sun and moon are irrelevant and off topic.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 02:56:30 PM »

The OP is asking about the sizes of the FET sun and moon.  The RET sun and moon are irrelevant and off topic.

The FET sun and moon was addressed with my first sentence, of which I have yet to hear a reply.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:40:47 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 02:10:33 AM »

The FET sun and moon was addressed with my first sentence, of which I have yet to hear a reply.
Are the sun and moon sand dunes on your FE model?  ???

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 02:12:45 AM »

Are the sun and moon sand dunes on your FE model?  ???

My point addressed the question of how two things can be the same size. Is there a rebuttal?

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 02:56:42 AM »
My point addressed the question of how two things can be the same size. Is there a rebuttal?
No, not really.  You said something about sand dunes reaching some maximum size determined by the wind.  What about all of the smaller sand dunes?  How are sand dunes like the sun and moon?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 02:44:49 PM »
No, not really.  You said something about sand dunes reaching some maximum size determined by the wind.  What about all of the smaller sand dunes?

The smaller sand dunes come in various smaller sizes, just like the planets and celestial bodies come in.

How are sand dunes like the sun and moon?

My example illustrates a simple physical process that can result in entities ending up the same maximum size. Some examples from the previous thread on this topic:

Quote from: Tom Bishop
Air-borne particles. Particulate matter floating in the air can only get so massive before it falls to the ground. The particulate matter in the air can be composed of a vast array of different materials, but only the particulate matter of a certain mass and size can stay airborne. Therefore the largest particulate matter which is airborne for a long period of time is of similar mass and size.

Quote from: Tom Bishop
Rain drops. When drops are formed, they can only become so small else they are whisked and flitted away away into the air and evaporate. They can also only get so large before they break up into multiple drops by air friction. Therefore we have rain drops which can only exist in a narrow size range. The largest of the raindrops are all the same size and the smallest of the rain drops are all the same size.

Examples of forces in nature which compel bodies to be of similar sizes are seen all around us in nature, and is no coincidence.

What has yet to be explained, however, is the incredible coincidence where the sun and moon under RET have a difference in size by over four million times yet appear to be the same size in the sky. 

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »
What has yet to be explained, however, is the incredible coincidence where the sun and moon under RET have a difference in size by over four million times yet appear to be the same size in the sky.

I know the explanation isn't satisfying to you, but modern astronomy definitely has one: there are countless billions of planets orbiting countless billions of stars in countless configurations.  Some fraction of those planets will have one or more moons that are approximately the same apparent size as their sun.  We happen to be on one of those planets.  If modern astronomy espoused that we were the only solar system in the universe, then perhaps a deeper explanation would be required.

Asking for more than that is just asking why the Moon isn't bigger or smaller, or why it orbits where it does, or why the Sun isn't bigger or smaller, etc.  Science doesn't have an explanation other than that it could have been otherwise, but it happened the way that it did.  The outcome wasn't predetermined.  It's really not much different than asking modern astronomers to 'explain' why the Saturn is 1.4 billion km from the Sun.  Why that number and not 1.5 billion or 1.6 billion or any other number?  There are way more number that aren't 1.4 billion, so why wasn't it one of those?  What the odds?!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:24:35 PM by garygreen »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »
How are sand dunes like the sun and moon?

My example illustrates a simple physical process that can result in entities ending up the same maximum size.
Who says that the sun and moon are the maximum size for celestial bodies?

Offline model 29

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 05:45:15 PM »
Because objects appear smaller the further away they are.

An even more extreme coincidence would be with FET, how a number of factors all work in conjunction without fail, to keep the sun and moon appearing as they do throughout the day.