Ghost of V

Doctor Who
« on: July 09, 2014, 05:17:09 PM »

I noticed there wasn't a Doctor Who thread, and there obviously should be. I took it upon myself to create the thread, and here it is.

Now, I know all you simpletons are probably like: "What is Doctor Who?". Well, I'm here with answers. Doctor Who is a sci-fi television show that has been running since 1963 with on and off breaks, making it the longest running Sci-Fi show on the planet. It follows the adventures of a renegade Timelord named "The Doctor" who is pretty much the best mary sue character on television. He travels around in a Type 40 TARDIS, which stands for Time and Relative Dimension in Space and is pretty much a time machine. Instead of dying he regenerates, which means different actors can play the same character. Right now, the Doctor is on his 12th incarnation who is being played by Peter Capaldi. The new series is on its 8th season and Moffat is still pissing off fans regularly.

This thread is basically for anything Doctor Who related. This thread will contain spoilers.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 08:48:16 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 05:23:11 PM »
Everyone knows what Doctor Who is. But not everyone gives a fuck.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 05:33:27 PM »
Everyone knows what Doctor Who is. But not everyone gives a fuck.

I was being facetious, asshat.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 07:53:39 PM »
Wait until August 24th!  >o<
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:55:02 PM »
But not everyone gives a fuck.
And it's likely that they won't get one with that kind of attitude.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »
Wait until August 24th!  >o<

No! I need to be prepared for any retarded Moffat twists.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:01:26 PM »
I finally watched all of the new Doctor Who seasons.

I liked Matt Smith the best and David Tenant the least.Tenant was alright, but too soft for me. I like the Doctor with a bit of bite in him.

Ghost of V

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 08:04:23 PM »

I liked Matt Smith the best and David Tenant the least.Tenant was alright, but too soft for me. I like the Doctor with a bit of bite in him.

Then you should like Eccleston's Doctor. He's got a lot of bite... My favorite of all of them is the 8th Doctor, always has been. I was really happy when Night of the Doctor came out, but was a bit disappointed that it was only 6 minutes long.

Within the new series, I'm conflicted. I think I like Tennant and Smith equally, sometimes swaying more toward Smith for various reasons. Tennant's Doctor is way too human.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 08:49:52 PM »
Matt Smith's run was ruined by the stupid story arcs that went on and on and on and made no sense whatsoever.

Ghost of V

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 08:57:32 PM »
Matt Smith's run was ruined by the stupid story arcs that went on and on and on and made no sense whatsoever.

I agree for the most part. Although, I think Matt Smith's first season is pretty decent because it makes sense.  After that it just goes downhill quickly.

I dislike River Song because 1) she's annoying and 2) her relationship with the Doctor is filled with plotholes. The Impossible Astronaut is all it took for me to immediately start disliking the way Moffat handled Doctor Who, and then the conclusion to that season clenched the deal (lol the Doctor didn't die he was a robot) but I feel like he's doing a bit better since the 50th Anniversary. I also feel like Peter Capaldi was a great choice for the next Doctor, and that was also Moffat's decision; He's doing some things right, but for the most part he's just fucking everything up because he simply cannot write an engaging storyarc that makes sense. He's much better off doing one-off episodes.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 01:08:13 AM »

Then you should like Eccleston's Doctor. He's got a lot of bite... My favorite of all of them is the 8th Doctor, always has been. I was really happy when Night of the Doctor came out, but was a bit disappointed that it was only 6 minutes long.

Within the new series, I'm conflicted. I think I like Tennant and Smith equally, sometimes swaying more toward Smith for various reasons. Tennant's Doctor is way too human.
Eccleston ranks above Tenant for me but below Smith. I stopped watching for months once Eccleston left, I just couldn't get into Tenant's doctor.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 02:14:31 AM »

What didn't make sense?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 02:25:32 AM »

What didn't make sense?

The Angels Take Manhattan.

The Statue of Liberty is a fucking weeping angel. How did this happen? Was no one looking at it when it was moving? Really? Not even a bird? C'mon now Moffat.

Also, The Eleventh Hour. We learn that the cracks in the universe erase things from existence in a later episode. How the hell does Prisoner Zero then escape from one of these cracks??

There's more but I'm drinking.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 02:38:07 AM »

What didn't make sense?

The Angels Take Manhattan.

The Statue of Liberty is a fucking weeping angel. How did this happen? Was no one looking at it when it was moving? Really? Not even a bird? C'mon now Moffat.
No arguments there. 

Also, The Eleventh Hour. We learn that the cracks in the universe erase things from existence in a later episode. How the hell does Prisoner Zero then escape from one of these cracks??
It only erases you if it eats you.  The crack in Amelia's wall was long since died down and had finished erasing stuff.
It's also a wormhole, sort of.  Two parts of space-time that touch.  So it's technically a wormhole and can be traveled through.  But not when it's hot because then it emits time energy (as seen on the Byzanthian).

The energy itself was from the exploding Tardis.  Not sure how it wiped out every sun in the universe but it did.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 03:39:02 AM »
Trying to make sense of the horrific clusterfuck that is Doctor Who lore will only end in frustration.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 04:10:46 AM »
Trying to make sense of the horrific clusterfuck that is Doctor Who lore will only end in frustration.
Srsly, it's way more enjoyable when you just accept the nonsensical whimsy and not try to piece together rational plots.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 10:34:07 AM »
It gets me off.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 12:31:27 PM »
Srsly, it's way more enjoyable when you just accept the nonsensical whimsy and not try to piece together rational plots.
Really, just how much sense is a show about a 900 year old guy who travels in time and space in a police call box supposed to make?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 12:50:47 PM »
I liked Matt Smith but thought he was landed with some fairly terrible stories (Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, Let's Kill Hitler, The Crimson Horror, Time of the Doctor). We don't need a story arc which absorbs every single story in the Who universe. DW is at its best when it's doing standalone stories then moving on.

If I had but one plea for Moffat it's this: Please stop trying to be 'wacky.' Go back to the humour of new Season 1 (The Empty Child/ Doctor Dances' is a great example. Dark, creepy story with engaging characters but with enough levity to keep things light.

I'm really looking forward to Capaldi's run, but I really hope the 'hunt for Gallifrey' doesn't become overbearing, we certainly don't need another 'Impossible Girl' arc.

Ghost of V

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 08:30:57 AM »
I think it would be great if they just skipped the hunt for Gallirey and jumped right into it. Make Gallirey the new hub of the show. I would like to see the Doctor interacting with his own species for once, not counting River Song because she sucks. It would also be a great excuse to bring back characters from the original series. Maybe bridging the generation gap among fans.

I think the series has a lot of potential now, it's just a matter of where the writers are going to take it. Judging by Moffat's track record it will probably be a train wreck.