Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: IRC kills the forum, so lets kill IRC
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 03:28:44 PM »
Take it to irc.
 :P
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 03:32:18 PM »
Take it to irc.
 :P
I suspect it is already being discussed in IRC, but the instant I join, that conversation is going to halt.  :P

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 03:35:29 PM »
There's only one way to find out.

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 03:42:48 PM »
Jesus Christ, Thork.  If you'd just use the damn thing for a couple of days you'd figure out how every IRC channel in the world works.  Sometimes people are chatting.  Sometimes they aren't.  Sometimes it's two people having a conversation.  Sometimes it's a clusterfuck.  Sometimes it's empty all day long.  Everyone is on different schedules and timezones.  It's unpredictable.

It's meant to be super casual.  Pop in and see what's happening.  Say some things if you want to.  Lurk if you want to.  Say BUTTPOOPTASTESLIKEPOOPINMYBUTT.  It's whatever.

e: shit is happening in irc right this very minute.  tom was talking about some stuff.  pizaaplanet was talking about some stuff.  rooster is talking about some stuff.  stuff is going down.  big time.

e2: oh shit now saddam is talking about some stuff, too.  this place is bangin'.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:47:06 PM by garygreen »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Rama Set

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 03:54:29 PM »
Thork, if you use a chat client, you can log conversations and giggle about them later, like Parsifal does. 

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 04:04:27 PM »
Thork, if you use a chat client, you can log conversations and giggle about them later, like Parsifal does. 
Th*rk doesn't know how to use irc clients.
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2015, 05:21:48 PM »
I don't understand how someone who apparently writes software applications for a living cannot fathom how IRC works.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2015, 09:56:31 PM »
Thork is real dumb.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2015, 11:04:01 PM »
Actually, Thork, since you are a developer, why not implement the change you're requesting and send us a pull request on GitHub? I can even provide you with a staging forum on my server to test your changes on, if that helps.

It still won't guarantee we'll accept the change, but we're a lot more likely to take you seriously if you show willingness to do some of the work instead of just complaining.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Thork

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015, 11:08:39 PM »
I haven't developed anything other than a windows phone app for more than 9 months now. I'm a salesman these days.

Besides, I'm not great at websites. I usually just did the javascript. I'd definitely always try to get out of the CSS :p Most of my work was apps for iOS and Android. I don't like coding. Its not a hobby for me, its always been a means to an end ... usually financial.

When you read 'suggestions and concerns', why are you surprised to receive my suggestions and my concerns?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2015, 11:16:22 PM »
I don't like coding. Its not a hobby for me, its always been a means to an end ... usually financial.

In this case, the end is a change you want made that nobody else does. When your viewpoint is in the minority, it's up to you to either convince others or do the work yourself.

When you read 'suggestions and concerns', why are you surprised to receive my suggestions and my concerns?

In this case, your suggestions and concerns are rash and counterproductive. They're rash because you made this thread after a single day of lower activity, without waiting to see if it was a running trend or a once-off. They're counterproductive because you're asking us to undo the work we've been doing to improve the site, without contributing anything of your own.

Well-founded, productive suggestions are welcome; incremental improvements most of all, since they are easiest to implement and measure the effectiveness of. This thread is none of those things.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 01:53:08 AM »
Thork can't read the conversations because he can't figure out how to get out of the lounge. 

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2015, 12:53:13 AM »
Thork is afraid of missing out on conversations that no one wants him to be a part of.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Thork

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2015, 01:38:49 PM »
Thork is afraid of missing out on conversations that no one wants him to be a part of.
The opposite. If a conversation isn't supposed to have me in it, I don't want to log on in the middle unwittingly. I really can't fathom why you wouldn't allow users entering the chat to see what was said before they arrived so they could join in, unless you did want to use it for bitching behind people's backs. If it is in the latter which I suspect, this is the real reason I don't use IRC.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2015, 01:44:14 PM »
So you never walk up to a group of friends to join a conversation if you haven't been eavesdropping on it first?

Thork

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2015, 01:48:39 PM »
I don't walk up to a group of strangers and do it. Is IRC just for a tight nit clique?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2015, 03:24:43 PM »
Thork considers everyone here to be total strangers that he just happens to interact with on a near daily basis.

Thork

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2015, 03:33:23 PM »
So new members of the site aren't welcome on IRC?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2015, 03:34:58 PM »
You can't talk to new people?

Thork

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2015, 04:07:25 PM »
Sure, if I know what they are talking about.