Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #900 on: December 15, 2018, 11:24:18 PM »
It's almost like relying on complete strangers to tell you if something is good or not is a stupid thing to do.

I mean, not inherently. You shouldn't take their word as gospel or be Saddam and take it as your own opinion even if you haven't seen it, but if you tend to share tastes with a critic (or critics) and they say something's shit, it's not necessarily dumb to think you probably won't like it. And avoid it thusly.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: December 16, 2018, 11:18:38 AM »
It's almost like relying on complete strangers to tell you if something is good or not is a stupid thing to do.

I mean, not inherently. You shouldn't take their word as gospel or be Saddam and take it as your own opinion even if you haven't seen it, but if you tend to share tastes with a critic (or critics) and they say something's shit, it's not necessarily dumb to think you probably won't like it. And avoid it thusly.

When I say "complete strangers" I mean critics reduced to homogeneous mush in the form of an aggregate score, which is what both of those sites do as far as I'm aware. I think it has been a long time since I looked at either, so maybe I'm forgetting something, but what I remember both of them doing is replacing individual voices with a hard number that tells you whether a thing is good or bad.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: December 18, 2018, 01:49:53 AM »
I really liked Venom. The entire movie was hilarious without the use of Marvel's normally verbose and corny comedy involving ice cream flavors.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: December 18, 2018, 04:18:24 AM »
I really liked Venom. The entire movie was hilarious without the use of Marvel's normally verbose and corny comedy involving ice cream flavors.

tried to tell everyone that a couple months back no offence

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 19, 2018, 06:11:51 AM »
You shouldn't take their word as gospel or be Saddam and take it as your own opinion even if you haven't seen it

This is such a weird meme. I don't even remember how it got started, as it's certainly not based on reality. All I'm saying as far as the Metacritic thing goes is that if there's a movie that an overwhelmingly majority of critics liked, as in a percentage in the eighties or nineties, and then I check a website that's meant to aggregate critical reviews and discover that the overall score is something mediocre in the forties or fifties, something is most likely very wrong with that website and its apparent goal of measuring the critical response of a movie. Metacritic's scoring system is weird, it's arbitrary, and all that combined with its relatively small pool of critics leads to it frequently presenting critically-acclaimed movies as having only a tepid reception. RT isn't perfect, and I feel no obligation to ever necessarily agree with the consensus it shows for any given movie (and am on record disagreeing with it many times), but it is a far superior aggregate.

Also:

ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Rama Set

« Reply #905 on: December 19, 2018, 03:55:56 PM »
It started when you began heavily criticizing movies and games that you haven’t seen based on internet articles.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 19, 2018, 07:47:18 PM »
It started when you began heavily criticizing movies and games that you haven’t seen based on internet articles.

Irrelevant to the subject of RT.

Rama Set

« Reply #907 on: December 20, 2018, 12:28:29 AM »

Irrelevant to the subject of RT.

If you say so.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 20, 2018, 12:59:23 PM »
When I say "complete strangers" I mean critics reduced to homogeneous mush in the form of an aggregate score, which is what both of those sites do as far as I'm aware. I think it has been a long time since I looked at either, so maybe I'm forgetting something, but what I remember both of them doing is replacing individual voices with a hard number that tells you whether a thing is good or bad.

Yeah that's fair. I'd still say it's pretty safe to say that if a movie is sitting at 20/100 I'd probably be safe staying away from it, but whether or not a movie looks good to me personally will always outweigh whatever "score" it's gotten. But the scores are more important in that audiences and studios pay attention to them (movie studios less so than game studios, I think), so keeping track of them is a way to follow that I guess.

All I'm saying as far as the Metacritic thing goes is that if there's a movie that an overwhelmingly majority of critics liked, as in a percentage in the eighties or nineties, and then I check a website that's meant to aggregate critical reviews and discover that the overall score is something mediocre in the forties or fifties, something is most likely very wrong with that website and its apparent goal of measuring the critical response of a movie.

Why, though? I don't understand how you reach that conclusion. I forget what the threshold is for a "fresh" from RT, but if every critic in the world rated numerically and gave a film a 5.5 or 6 out of 10, Rotten Tomatoes would say it was at 100% fresh. Whereas Metacritic would say it's at 55/100 or 60/100. Rotten Tomatoes is literally only good for seeing if most critics agree that a movie is at least okay-ish. Is Metacritic perfect or even great? No, but I'd say it's a far better indicator of critics' general opinions. 6/10 and 10/10 are very different scores.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: January 06, 2019, 06:35:14 AM »
In keeping with my tradition of discussing DC shit here so as not to clog up "Just Watched" with endless capeshit discussion, I watched a camrip of Aquaman. I'm a little mixed on it. The writing is extremely lazy, being packed full of clunky "As you know..." dialogue and a story that can't decide whether it should be a jaunty, lighthearted adventure or a darker faux-Shakespearean struggle for power. I honestly suspect that it was a first draft. There are times when the designs of Atlantis and the undersea world look amazing, and there are times when Wan goes full Lucas and crams way, way too much shit into the frame, making everything look ugly, tacky, and incomprehensible, although I was relieved to discover that no other scene comes even close to matching the hideousness of Arthur and Orm's gladiator match. Momoa is likable and enthusiastic, but he's barely even acting in this movie. He's just coasting as himself. And the movie, instead of perhaps building Arthur's arc around his demonstrated character flaws, instead makes up some nonsense about how he would be the ideal king if only he'd learn to accept himself for being of two different races and the worthy heir to the throne. None of that is ever reflected in any of Arthur's lines or Momoa's performance.

As terrible as I may have just made it all sound, I did still enjoy Aquaman. The movie is charming almost in spite of itself. Everyone involved seems to be having a lot of fun, the visuals are imaginative and embrace the source material's silliness, the action scenes are mostly done well, and in general there's a childlike sense of exuberance and joy propelling everything along. But a movie having that sort of feel to it is not something that's easy to manufacture, which leads me to my final point here that WB needs to start working harder on the scripts for these movies. I'm beginning to think it's going to take yet another major failure for them to realize that writing actually matters. David Goyer is writing another script for the DCEU, despite being just as responsible for its early stumbles as Snyder. Even WW, easily the DCEU's best movie, wasn't exactly what you'd call written well. I'm not saying they need to get auteurs coming up with the next TDK or anything, but their current system of putting together a slapdash sequence of action beats, quips, and worn-out tropes just isn't sustainable.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 01:57:09 PM by honk »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 06, 2019, 02:39:02 PM »
a slapdash sequence of action beats, quips, and worn-out tropes just isn't sustainable

inb4 "ha ha you just described Marble movies"

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 06, 2019, 03:51:55 PM »
ha ha you just described Hollywood movies

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 06, 2019, 04:20:50 PM »
Actually Saddam just described himself.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 19, 2019, 01:44:40 PM »
The Punisher likes pancakes.

« Reply #914 on: February 03, 2019, 03:12:33 AM »
They're clearly heading towards a Justice League motion picture.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: February 03, 2019, 04:08:11 AM »
They're clearly heading towards a Justice League motion picture.

Delete the sig shilling your shitty app before we have to.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: February 03, 2019, 03:20:18 PM »
Batfleck is officially done, at least as far as the solo movie goes. He had some potential to be great, but between Snyder's shitty movies and WB's weird decision to introduce the character with a semi-adaptation of TDKR, I suppose recasting was inevitable. June 2021. I'll be thirty by the time this movie comes out. The movie will most likely be ready to go by fall of 2020, but then they'll sit on it for close to a year as they wait for the optimal release date. Oh, well. Can't wait to see the Waynes being killed again!

In other news, we appear to have further evidence that Snyder's plans for JL and the follow-up movies were going to be jumbled grimdark messes.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Cain

• This is the line of division.
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 08, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »
Quote from:  Roundy's shit article
At this point, DC Comics should be implementing Flashpoint as their ultimate reset button / dazzling finale to the DCEU,
Yes please.
You just made my list, buddy.  >:(
this world does not have room for another mind as intelligent as yours.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.