Offline Mark_1984

• View Profile
Shape of the planets
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:38:36 AM »
We know the planets are spherical, as is the sun.  We can observe with a telescope and map surface features to show this.  However, if gravity doesn’t exist, what keeps the planets together, and why are they round ?

Offline RJDO

• View Profile
Re: Shape of the planets
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 01:09:07 PM »
Mark,

Greetings! Welcome to frustration! I have been on here for 3 days seeking answers like you, but so far, only only really receive answers like "empirical evidence" and prove that they are spheres, blah, blah, blah..... Nothing really of value that I can find so far to make me change my mind in any way. If there was verifiable data and experiments, etc...like current science is held too, than I could consider the possibility of a Flat Earth. But, really its just prove to "us" (Flat Earther) that what you see is right. Etc... I could go on about what I am not getting, but I think you get the point.

As for answers, I will say that 3DGeek has gone out of his way to answer most of your questions that you, I and everyone else that comes here ask. I highly recommend reading this Board, as it was extremely helpful for me:

https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=6902.0

Also, for the spherical shape of the sun and planets, here is an extremely helpful board that will answer most of your questions:

https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=7519.0

As far as I can tell, there is no explanation for how gravity works on spherical objects in space (or whatever they call it) and as far as the sun,  I think that the current explanation is that it is a 31 mile across tokamak in a "lightbulb" or something. (I cannot be really sure of this is people arguing over a possibility of its existence, or if science could allow for something like that"

Anyway. I am nowhere smart enough to help out to much on this, but there are several post here that help out a lot. Good luck on getting answers!

Also, as I am regurgitating other post for answers, please accept my apologies if I explained them wrong, and please feel free to correct.

Offline Mark_1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 03:33:34 PM »
Hi RJDO and thanks for your reply. I know what you mean about frustration. None of them seem to be able to hold a meaningful debate. It might be more fun if 3Dgeek was a flat earther.  Did come here looking for a good debate. You know, counter theory with counter theory, but it doesn’t seem to happen. Its just being asked to prove the bleeding obvious, or denying the bleeding obvious exists.

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 06:19:43 PM »
Agreed with RJDO and Mark's observations. There is nothing of substance from the FE faithful except to try and raise doubts about things. Like reviewing 15 hours of ISS footage and then claiming that an unexplained spec floating on the screen for 3 seconds proves it was faked in a sound stage, underwater, CGI, etc. And therefore everything we have ever been taught was a lie.

I've been on here a few weeks and have noticed a pattern that when someone new comes to the forum and asks a question about FE, they are more likely to get a response from an FE believer. That answer might be sarcastic, or might be serious explaining what FE believes even if the poster doesn't believe it. Then maybe an FE believer will pop up to criticize the answer.

Since they made the effort to create an online forum, ostensibly to spread their belief system, I find it odd how often they don't take opportunities to do so. The FE wiki prominently says that flat Earth belief isn't a joke. Sometimes I'm not sure.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 12:03:11 AM »
Also, I find it funny that all the planets are round, but supposedly earth is one flat thing sitting in space?
Those who are smart enough to come up with ways to fit a flat earth into scientific theories are also the ones who know that the earth is not flat.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 03:49:22 AM »
Maybe you will have more luck on the 'other' flat earth forum. This one banned a few flat earth gurus who would have been able to answer your questions. Look for a member named İntikam. That guy is a legend  8) Both sites are run by controlled opposition though although I would say the genuine believers have gravitated over the other one. Just watch as I get warned or banned for speaking the truth.

As to my answer to your question, given we know so little about the universe and the nature of well anything, I have a more agnostic approach.

For example, there are theories (and these all came from well known scientific geeks) that our universe could be a holographic projection and that the '3 spatial dimensions' is merely a matter of perspective.

Or that it could be 10 spatial dimensions. We only occupy 3 so we cant fathom or comprehend anything greater anymore than a 2D flatlander could comprehend or view our 3D world. Those 'virtual' particles that seemingly 'pop' in and out of existence in defiance of the laws of physics? Well they may be occupying other spatial dimensions we aren't a part of and we only see flashes on their existence as they move around.

The shape of everything is also dependant on the speed you are travelling. If you were to hitch a ride on a photon, the start and finish lines of the ends of the universe would be on top of each other. Pretty flat

We could be in a matrix. Therefore our universe is rendered into nothing more than ones and zeros. Who's to say the programmers couldn't make an exception for what the shape of this planet is?

We could be a simulated universe. If we end up with the technology to create simulations so realistic that we could create a universe of people that believe everything is real, there is an infinitesimal chance that our universe is the 'real' one. There could be an infinite amount of simulated universe. Simulations within simulations for infinity. We may be in one of those. When mankind reaches 'the singularity', there is no limit to our technological potential.

Point is, I prefer not to settle on an answer without absolute proof. Unfortunately to satisfy me, that requires a complete understanding of the universe. An unlikely feat in my lifetime and perhaps beyond the reach of any human, ever.

Offline RJDO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 02:45:33 PM »
Here was the answer I have been searching for about the belief held by Flat Earthers.

Found this on another website, but at least it is something of a answer, even if I am not sure what a luminary is.

" genuine flat Earth researchers like myself who will tell you unequivocally that the Sun, Moon, stars and "planets" are all merely luminaries, round discs of celestial light, NOT spherical Terra firma capable of landing on as the Freemasons at NASA would have you believe."

Finally, an answer on what Flat Earthers believe. Totally wrong, but at least it is an answer.

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 03:19:30 PM »
round discs of celestial light

Yeah, round discs. The kind with observable patterns of things moving across them and wrapping around the edges then reappearing later, just to simulate a sphere. Sunspots, clouds, etc. Not to mention phases just like the moon. (Venus, Mercury)

LOL

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 03:37:02 PM »
Here was the answer I have been searching for about the belief held by Flat Earthers.

Found this on another website, but at least it is something of a answer, even if I am not sure what a luminary is.

" genuine flat Earth researchers like myself who will tell you unequivocally that the Sun, Moon, stars and "planets" are all merely luminaries, round discs of celestial light, NOT spherical Terra firma capable of landing on as the Freemasons at NASA would have you believe."

Finally, an answer on what Flat Earthers believe. Totally wrong, but at least it is an answer.

A quick google shows up with this site... http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/

This guy is a real treat to read.  A New World Order guy.  The Masons did it.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Mark_1984

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 12:10:05 AM »
Maybe you will have more luck on the 'other' flat earth forum. This one banned a few flat earth gurus who would have been able to answer your questions. Look for a member named İntikam. That guy is a legend  8) Both sites are run by controlled opposition though although I would say the genuine believers have gravitated over the other one. Just watch as I get warned or banned for speaking the truth.

As to my answer to your question, given we know so little about the universe and the nature of well anything, I have a more agnostic approach.

For example, there are theories (and these all came from well known scientific geeks) that our universe could be a holographic projection and that the '3 spatial dimensions' is merely a matter of perspective.

Or that it could be 10 spatial dimensions. We only occupy 3 so we cant fathom or comprehend anything greater anymore than a 2D flatlander could comprehend or view our 3D world. Those 'virtual' particles that seemingly 'pop' in and out of existence in defiance of the laws of physics? Well they may be occupying other spatial dimensions we aren't a part of and we only see flashes on their existence as they move around.

The shape of everything is also dependant on the speed you are travelling. If you were to hitch a ride on a photon, the start and finish lines of the ends of the universe would be on top of each other. Pretty flat

We could be in a matrix. Therefore our universe is rendered into nothing more than ones and zeros. Who's to say the programmers couldn't make an exception for what the shape of this planet is?

We could be a simulated universe. If we end up with the technology to create simulations so realistic that we could create a universe of people that believe everything is real, there is an infinitesimal chance that our universe is the 'real' one. There could be an infinite amount of simulated universe. Simulations within simulations for infinity. We may be in one of those. When mankind reaches 'the singularity', there is no limit to our technological potential.

Point is, I prefer not to settle on an answer without absolute proof. Unfortunately to satisfy me, that requires a complete understanding of the universe. An unlikely feat in my lifetime and perhaps beyond the reach of any human, ever.

Regarding do we live in a simulation, there was a podcast by bbc radio 4 about this. The program is called The Infinite Monkey Cage. The episode was in the last series I think. Well worth a listen.