The people of the flat earth society
« on: March 16, 2018, 01:40:03 AM »
Hi there,

I am currently researching the Flat Earth Society for my school in the subject Applied Philosophy. I was hoping to get an insight into the people who believe in the Flat Earth Theory as well as those who believe in the Round Earth Theory on their stories that relate to the Flat Earth Society. I hope we can have a great and civilised discussion within the forum.

Cheers, Toby

Re: The people of the flat earth society
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 10:04:18 PM »
If nobody replies with a direct answer, I recommend just reading through several topics.  You'll get the idea.
The hallmark of true science is repeatability to the point of accurate prediction.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 08:38:34 PM »
If you actually ask a question, I'll try to answer it.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 03:31:45 AM »

How did you become a Flat Earther?

Offline Beorn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 02:40:33 PM »

I came to the flat earth society forum (the other website) because I thought the idea of a flat earth is absolutely ridiculous and I wanted to find out why people would have such ideas. However, I soon found that people like Tom Bishop and Thork easily debunked the arguments I had for a round earth. Wanting to prove them wrong I delved deeper into the FE theory, and the more I read about it and looked at the evidence at hand, the less convinced I became of a flat earth.

Am I in the right place?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 04:15:15 PM »
Tom Bishop and Thork easily debunked the arguments I had for a round earth.
Did they?
Have to say they hasn't my experience, do you have some example threads where they did that?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Beorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 04:33:13 PM »
That was seven years ago, I'm not going to go back and check when enlightenment hit me exactly. You are free to pour through my post history.
Am I in the right place?

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 09:32:51 PM »

I believe God brought about circumstances that moved my life in a direction that led to discovering FET, I was already Geocentric as I could not reconcile the scripture record with the Heliocentric model. Then after watching a show on Antartica on youtube, I read "the earth is flat" in the comment section and I realised that the cosmology was much closer to the Biblical narrative so I rang up my Minister and told him I now reject Copernicanism and that move had me swiftly silenced and eventually ejected from the church.

A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 09:59:58 PM »

I believe God brought about circumstances that moved my life in a direction that led to discovering FET, I was already Geocentric as I could not reconcile the scripture record with the Heliocentric model. Then after watching a show on Antartica on youtube, I read "the earth is flat" in the comment section and I realised that the cosmology was much closer to the Biblical narrative so I rang up my Minister and told him I now reject Copernicanism and that move had me swiftly silenced and eventually ejected from the church.

Do you still believe that the flat earth lines up better with the Biblical narrative despite your (former) church, minister included, disagreeing? Why do you think they disagree?

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 10:23:38 PM »
Why do you think they disagree?
I believe its because they respect the opinions of men more than the truths of Gods word.

At that time Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will.
A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 11:03:05 PM »
I realised that the cosmology was much closer to the Biblical narrative so I rang up my Minister and told him I now reject Copernicanism and that move had me swiftly silenced and eventually ejected from the church.
Seriously?
Wow.
That minister sucks.
As you know, I don't agree with your interpretation of Scripture. But what kind of minister ejects someone from a church for something like this?
I hope you found a better church.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline jcks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 12:24:19 AM »
That was seven years ago, I'm not going to go back and check when enlightenment hit me exactly. You are free to pour through my post history.

I checked, nothing stood out to me. You went from being against FET, to posting one word responses to RET questions ("Yes"), to linking new comers to the FES wiki. Whatever enlightenment occurred it wasn't publicly available in your post history.

What I can gather though is that it had something to do with physics and light bending. Your first pronounced FET post was challenging someone to argue physics with Bishop and Thork. I'm really interested in why that suddenly changed your view point when not long before that you were basically saying the same thing every RE proponent has brought up here, with nothing proving those points invalid.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 03:42:01 AM »
When I first heard about the Flat Earth Society I thought that the concept of a Flat Earth was incredibly amusing. I was lost in wonder and driven by humor to see what they had to say. After observing a few people on the forums questioning generally accepted science, against a collective of science literate students and professionals who were unable to really show why the science was true, no matter how much they googled, I realized that the basics of science can be questioned and scrutinized. It is not as set in stone as we were taught. It was an enlightening moment.

After that I ordered a copy of Earth Not a Globe, immediately read it cover to cover, and became fascinated with Samuel Birley Rowbotham's ability and courage to question the unquestionable. Even in the mid 1800's the shape of the earth was taught to be a certainty.

I began arguing against the globe on the forums, and, over time, generally came to the conclusion that an alternative earth form, even if it doesn't reflect the standard FET model, is possible. It is difficult to debunk the idea that the earth is not a globe, or to demonstrate that the earth is a globe. And because it is so difficult, it has only encouraged me to discover what the truth actually is.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:10:52 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 10:21:03 AM »
... I ordered a copy of Earth Not a Globe, immediately read it cover to cover, and became fascinated with Samuel Birley Rowbotham's ability and courage to question the unquestionable. Even in the mid 1800's the shape of the earth was taught to be a certainty.

But wouldn't you agree that humankind has moved on since then, in a host of different ways, one of which is - Orbital Space Flight ....? 

Do you really think if Rowbotham were alive today, he would repeat what he did in the 1800s?

I began arguing against the globe on the forums, and, over time, generally came to the conclusion that an alternative earth form, even if it doesn't reflect the standard FET model, is possible. It is difficult to debunk the idea that the earth is not a globe, or to demonstrate that the earth is a globe. And because it is so difficult, it has only encouraged me to discover what the truth actually is.

None of this paragraph indicates any real certainty on your part. You 'argue against' but do not prove. You 'come to a conclusion', but don't show a proof.

Why is it 'difficult' for you to 'demonstrate that the earth is a globe'?  Humankind has orbited it multiple times, manned and unmanned. We've photographed it from various viewpoints, also manned and unmanned. Independent agencies monitor the manned and unmanned craft on a daily basis. etc etc
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 10:42:35 AM »
I realized that the basics of science can be questioned and scrutinized. It is not as set in stone as we were taught.
I wasn't taught that. Scientific ideas should always be open to testing and scrutiny.
The scientific method is about proposing a model which explains observations and conducting experiments to test that model.
The reason that the heliocentric model and a globe earth became the standard is because it passed all the tests.
Your model, with respect, does not. It doesn't in any way match observations.
And in order to test and challenge scientific ideas you have to understand them, and you repeatedly show on here that you don't, despite claiming to.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 11:00:52 AM by AllAroundTheWorld »

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 09:24:53 PM »
The reason that the heliocentric model and a globe earth became the standard is because it passed all the tests.

Really?
Michelson - Morley Null Result
Airy's Failure.
Sagnac Experiment.

When an experiment fails in the Heliocentric model then its time to hit the blackboard.

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 09:55:42 PM »

Really?
Airy's Failure.
Sagnac Experiment.

When an experiment fails in the Heliocentric model then its time to hit the blackboard.
Yet again, please explain measured distances and the angle of the sun.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 03:21:54 PM »

Really?
Airy's Failure.
Sagnac Experiment.

50+ years of orbital space flight - success.
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 04:01:59 PM »
I realized that the basics of science can be questioned and scrutinized. It is not as set in stone as we were taught.
I wasn't taught that. Scientific ideas should always be open to testing and scrutiny.
The scientific method is about proposing a model which explains observations and conducting experiments to test that model.
Your model, with respect, does not. It doesn't in any way match observations.
And in order to test and challenge scientific ideas you have to understand them, and you repeatedly show on here that you don't, despite claiming to.
and Tom cannot explain how he would test the size and shape of the earth.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 06:39:43 PM »

Really?
Airy's Failure.
Sagnac Experiment.

I had to Google a couple of those but it seems all of them were experiments designed to test the aether theory.
It was partly the Michelson - Morley result which showed the aether theory to be incorrect and Relativity made more sense of the result.
This is how science works.
I'm not clear how you think any of those experiments show that the idea of a globe earth may be wrong.