Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: Moon landing hoax question
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2022, 10:09:44 PM »
The basis of the MythBusters argument is that a wire rig only simulated the 1/6th gravity in a vertical direction. On a horizontal direction it does not simulate 1/6th gravity. This is a curious argument, because why should horizontal movements be slowed on the Moon? If you throw a punch why should it be slower on the Moon's surface?
Yes, it certainly is a curious argument.  I just don't think that it's one that they're making.  First of all, gravity doesn't work in the horizontal direction, so it should be irrelevant.  Secondly, bulky, pressurized space suits will tend to slow down one's movements.  Third, one tends to move a little more slowly and cautiously when dealing with a significant amount of mass in a very low gravity environment.

The fact that this was filmed on a US Naval base and there are American flags everywhere also works against their credibility.
???  Why?  I only saw one or two American flags and the low gravity rig was made and operated by a trapeze company.

One will notice that they tried the wire rig and the slow motion tests separately, declaring that they don't look right, but didn't combine the methods. This was an obvious slip up, and it is clear that they didn't combine the methods for the obvious reasons that slow motion would successfully simulate slow horizontal motion and the wire rig would successfully simulate vertical low gravity.
Then feel free to film your own low gravity rig in slow motion and let us know if it looks any better.

By the way, what did you think of the 1/6 g vomit comet results?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2022, 04:15:31 PM »
Quote from: markjo
Yes, it certainly is a curious argument.  I just don't think that it's one that they're making.

That's what I got out of it. They kept complaining about how the movements on the rig aren't "smooth" when he's skipping across the floor. That is as far as their technical analysis went.

If you watch the Apollo moon walk videos it certainly does look like they are moving in horizontal slow motion. The slow motion argument has been brought up before; here it is in Wagging the Moondoggie:

http://checktheevidencecom.ipage.com/checktheevidence.com/pdf/Dave%20McGowan%20-%20Wagging%20The%20Moon%20Doggie.pdf

"Am I the only one, by the way, who finds it odd that people would move in slow motion on the Moon? Why would a
    reduced gravitational pull cause everything to move much more slowly? Given the fact that they were much lighter
    on their feet and not subject to air and wind resistance, shouldn’t the astronauts have been able to move quicker on
    the Moon than here on Earth? Was slow motion the only thing NASA could come up with to give the video footage
    an otherworldly feel?"

It is curious that the astronauts seem to be moving in slow motion horizontally when moving about the Moon's surface.

???  Why?  I only saw one or two American flags and the low gravity rig was made and operated by a trapeze company.

There were prominent American flags and it was filmed on a US Military base. The show was about proving or disproving the honesty of the US Government. Clear conflict of interest there.

Then feel free to film your own low gravity rig in slow motion and let us know if it looks any better.

I think that segment at the end was forced by the MythBusters actor, personally. His goal was to specifically replicate the astronauts in Moon Landing footage. In 1/6 g you can make yourself look slow motion if you force yourself to, by controlling the forward momentum of your skips, and it would be a lot easier to do that than in 1g.

But you wouldn't naturally move in slow horizontal motion in 1/6 g.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 04:40:57 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2022, 05:52:46 PM »
It is curious that the astronauts seem to be moving in slow motion horizontally when moving about the Moon's surface.
Not if you understand how low gravity and bulky pressure suits work.

There were prominent American flags and it was filmed on a US Military base. The show was about proving or disproving the honesty of the US Government. Clear conflict of interest there.
The Alameda Naval Air Station closed in 1997 and transferred to the city of Alameda more than 10 years before that episode was flilmed.

I think that segment at the end was forced by the MythBusters actor, personally. His goal was to specifically replicate the astronauts in Moon Landing footage. In 1/6 g you can make yourself look slow motion if you force yourself to, by controlling the forward momentum of your skips, and it would be a lot easier to do that than in 1g.
But don't you find it interesting that the only way that they could recreate the smoothness of the moon footage was in an actual 1/6 g environment?  If you think that you can do a better job of recreating the moon footage in a 1g environment, then I'm sure that a lot of people would be happy to see it.

But you wouldn't naturally move in slow horizontal motion in 1/6 g.
Wearing a bulky pressure suit in 1/6 g is not a natural environment for humans, so who are you to say what natural movement should look like if you haven't experienced it yourself?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2022, 12:43:03 AM »
From what I've been told and studied intensively, a sane person can only draw one conclusion, we were spoon fed deceptive analysis of events that could not and did not happen. Links and videos are abundant internet wide.
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2022, 08:50:03 AM »
From what I've been told and studied intensively, a sane person can only draw one conclusion, we were spoon fed deceptive analysis of events that could not and did not happen. Links and videos are abundant internet wide.

Weird, from what I've been told and studied intensively, a sane person can only draw one conclusion, we landed men on the moon 6 times and brought them home safely. Links and videos are abundant internet wide.

See why that's not really a very convincing or compelling argument?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2022, 01:28:43 PM »

There are numerous third-party confirmations of the lunar landings. Do you have any convincing rebuttal to them? They're listed on Wikipedia;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-party_evidence_for_Apollo_Moon_landings
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2022, 02:58:09 PM »

There are numerous third-party confirmations of the lunar landings. Do you have any convincing rebuttal to them? They're listed on Wikipedia;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-party_evidence_for_Apollo_Moon_landings
I have mentioned Jodrell Bank in the UK who were monitoring both Apollo 11 and USSR craft.
And the Australians who were relaying messages from the moon. Never seen much of a sensible response.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2022, 06:58:25 PM »
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2022, 07:00:11 PM »
We just saw 238,000? miles with naked eye, beetchez

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2022, 07:24:32 PM »
Seems like this happens a lot:

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2022, 07:26:49 PM »
I've seen a few videos of this event.  If they are real, how do we see the rocket booster at quarter million miles away?  The moon would have to be MUCH closer.
From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2022, 07:46:46 PM »
I've seen a few videos of this event.  If they are real, how do we see the rocket booster at quarter million miles away?  The moon would have to be MUCH closer.

Here's the catch, they are not real. The originator of the meme: Greg Pietrantonio, After Effects/VFX artist.

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2022, 07:50:22 PM »
I'm talking about the video J-Man posted

« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2022, 08:09:00 PM »
We just saw 238,000? miles with naked eye, beetchez
No you didn't.  You saw a VIDEO ffs.

BillO

« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2022, 11:55:48 PM »
Why?  Your math please.  Give us your assumptions, detail the theory that makes this claim possible and work the math through the model.  I'm excited to see this.

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2022, 12:22:57 AM »
Your asking me why you can't see a rocket booster 230 thousand miles away? 

Offline GoldCashew

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2022, 12:54:52 AM »

Quick question. TFES Wiki states that "the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence. It is too easily manipulated and altered".

Given the above YouTube photo/video attached by J-Man, why would you lend such to being credible? It could be fake, right?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 12:58:28 AM by GoldCashew »

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2022, 01:00:36 AM »
I'm not entirely sure it's real or unaltered, but like I said there's a few videos of this event across the world which look the same...  It's also an event which public officials verified would happen.   TFES has always had an open mind to new ideas.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2022, 01:13:48 AM »

I realize that. It's fake. Someone made it like the others I posted. The original that was posted even has the sound of the impact as it hit. Silly fun, that's all.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/rocket-moon/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 01:15:57 AM by stack »

Offline GoldCashew

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2022, 03:34:24 AM »
I'm not entirely sure it's real or unaltered, but like I said there's a few videos of this event across the world which look the same...  It's also an event which public officials verified would happen.   TFES has always had an open mind to new ideas.

1) The Moon landing was also an event that public officials from NASA verified would happen. So, do you believe the Moon landing could have therefore happened and not have been a hoax?

2) If "TFES has always had an open mind to new ideas", would TFES be open to the possibility that space travel exists and is not a conspiracy?