Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: The length of the day on a flat earth
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 10:51:42 PM »
Just a small reminder that this post still has no answer.

Until then, it proves FET is false. There's a second post that does that too.
You will find that petty attempts at taunting us don't encourage discussion. It discourages it. The fact that you think something's been proven does very little to actually prove it, and your opinions are incredibly unimportant here.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 10:56:17 PM »

You will find that petty attempts at taunting us don't encourage discussion. It discourages it. The fact that you think something's been proven does very little to actually prove it, and your opinions are incredibly unimportant here.
Thank you for yet another admission that FET is not capable of answering my questions. If you could, you would not waste a single post complaining about my taunting attitude (which I totally admit), you would be too happy to refute my post.

Each non-answer I receive from such petty attempts is further proof that FET is false. So please, do complain...

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 11:03:48 PM »
Your question has been answered quite early on. The fact that you didn't like the answer is your own problem. If what you're interested in is ignoring our opinions and then tooting your own horn for doing so, then I'm going to have to ask you to do so outside of the upper fora.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2015, 01:10:41 AM »

Thank you for yet another admission that FET is not capable of answering my questions. If you could, you would not waste a single post complaining about my taunting attitude (which I totally admit), you would be too happy to refute my post.

Each non-answer I receive from such petty attempts is further proof that FET is false. So please, do complain...

I know you like to want to superior, but Thork answered all of your questions quite patiently. Then you got
Quote from: Sceptom
bored with this forum
and left. If you'd like to state what question you feel went unanswered I'd be happy to either answer it for you or quote the person who did. But don't be a dick about it. Nobody likes that.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 09:53:44 PM »
OK, let's rewind and summarize the content of this thread so far (ignoring digressions):

In short, I only got responses that failed to answer the original question.

So, there you have, Tausami.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2015, 03:00:17 AM »
Why wouldn't light rays, deflected at an angle, continue to deviate and cause the effect to increase over distance?

Rama Set

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2015, 01:30:40 PM »
Why wouldn't light rays, deflected at an angle, continue to deviate and cause the effect to increase over distance?

It would depend I would think. Once the light ray enters a medium, it's course would deviate, but once the initial deviation occurs, it is no longer altered by refraction. But I suppose depending on the temperature gradient it could continue to deviate. This gradient would change drastically day to day though so could be relied upon to explain a season long variation.

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »
Because physics.

Refraction occurs at the interface between two media, as in the example of the straw in the glass of water you showed in an earlier post. In the air above, no refraction occurs, in the water below, no refraction occurs. Refraction is only happening at the interface between the two.

If you had two massive clumps of air, one is cold, say 0°C, the other warm, say 30°C. Light would refract when going from the warm air to the cold air (or vice-versa), with a refractive index of x, but within each clump, there's no refraction. Now, imagine that each clump is further divided into two smaller clumps so you now have three interfaces: 0°C --> 10°C --> 20°C --> 30°C. Light would refract three times as it goes from one clump to another. OK, but the refractive index is also divided by three, x/3, so the total amount of refraction doesn't change. Continue to divide into smaller portions so that you get a continuum of temperature, but you also have smaller and smaller refractive indices between each portion. The refraction is thus not cumulative.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2015, 06:59:47 PM »
If a line deviates from its position, into a new angle, the divergence from its original position will grow with distance. Consider the following illustration:

The distance between segments A and C is different at 1cm away from point B, than it is at 2 inches away from point B. The distance between A and C grew with distance.

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 07:00:39 PM »
If a line deviates from its position, into a new angle, the divergence from its original position will grow with distance. Consider the following illustration:

The distance between segments A and C is different at 1cm away from point B, than it is at 2 inches away from point B. The distance between A and C grew with distance.
So?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »
So the effect would increase over distance.

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2015, 07:59:17 PM »
So the effect would increase over distance.
I'm sorry but I fail to see how your explanation with the angle is related to the effect increasing over distance. Could you go into more details? perhaps with a graph or something?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2015, 08:16:19 PM »
I just posted an illustration showing that a change in angle increases in deviation with distance. What are you having trouble understanding?

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2015, 08:50:09 PM »
OK, let's rewind and summarize the content of this thread so far (ignoring digressions):

In short, I only got responses that failed to answer the original question.

So, there you have, Tausami.

So what I'm reading here is that you completely discounted every answer you've been given because you didn't like them and/or refused to do more research about them. Thork's theory of celestial gears is actually quite well defined, even if you don't like it. Personally, I prefer the Aetheric whirlwind theory. You can read about both of them in the Wiki. But please don't be so condescending about it.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2015, 08:09:56 AM »
So what I'm reading here is that you completely discounted every answer you've been given because you didn't like them and/or refused to do more research about them
Nope, I discounted them because they were wrong, as I explained each time, sometimes with a high level of detail. But if you disagree, please show me that my justifications for rejecting their responses were wrong.

Thork's theory of celestial gears is actually quite well defined, even if you don't like it. Personally, I prefer the Aetheric whirlwind theory. You can read about both of them in the Wiki. But please don't be so condescending about it.
Again, that part about the sun changing speed and why was quickly abandoned as it was not very relevant for the issue I wanted to discuss. This is typical of the discussions in this forum: FEers always miss the point by trying to subtly (or not so in some cases) redefining the question so that it's easier for them to argue.
And also, I don't know what to think about Thork's theory of celestial gears as he didn't even bother to provide a link to describe it (and the wiki contains maybe one or two sentences about it). Thork, and probably other FEers, seem to think that someone who makes a claim doesn't have to argue for it; he just states it, and it becomes true. And whenever anyone asks him to provide arguments and sources, he accuses them of being lazy. That's not how discussions work. If I was claiming that Russell's teapot does exist, you would be right to ask me for arguments and evidence. And if I told you to do your research yourself (you super lazy bastard), then you would be right to consider me an idiot.

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2015, 08:19:56 AM »
I just posted an illustration showing that a change in angle increases in deviation with distance. What are you having trouble understanding?
How it relates to the spot of the sun changing shape from this (northern summer solstice):

to that (northern winter solstice):

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2015, 12:28:33 PM »
How it relates to the spot of the sun changing shape from this (northern summer solstice):

It doesn't, because, contrary to your fantasies, such a change never occurs.

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2015, 07:44:05 PM »

It doesn't, because, contrary to your fantasies, such a change never occurs.
Of course, it doesn't since the earth is round and day/light and seasons cycles are explained by the rotation of the earth on its axis and around the sun.

But in FET, in order to account for the daylight time during the year, the sun spot necessarily has to go from the yellow shape to the red one. Yet, I've seen so far no explanation for such a drastic change.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2015, 10:18:27 PM »
I addressed how that is explained on that map earlier in this thread when it was brought up. I don't even use that map as my main go-to flat earth map, anyway. I typically use the one where Antarctica is a continent.

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2015, 08:09:21 AM »
I addressed how that is explained on that map earlier in this thread when it was brought up. I don't even use that map as my main go-to flat earth map, anyway. I typically use the one where Antarctica is a continent.
Your so-called explanations were refuted.

And what is this map you prefer to use? could you show it?