Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Re: Irish reunification
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2022, 03:50:01 PM »
It is equally a big stretch to claim that Northern Ireland belongs to the Irish, being as there were no Irish until their independence in 1922 ... we were all British.
This is like saying there were no French in Paris in the 1940s. Being occupied by a foreign power doesn't suddenly change your national identity.
Of course it does. When the allies occupied Germany, those Germans became West Germans. Those occupied by the Russians became East Germans. The occupiers changed the names and borders and the Germans were who they were told to be.

If there was no Ireland for over 120 years ... no one held Irish citizenship. No one had an Irish passport. No one was Irish. Or are you trying to pretend that the people in France are actually Gauls, and that they will be Gauls again once they can break away from French rule? Will the Romans be making a comeback once they can overthrow their Italian oppressors? That's the exact same thing as claiming the Irish were Irish all along. They weren't.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2022, 03:53:13 PM »
If there was no Ireland for over 120 years
Where did you get that from?

no one held Irish citizenship. No one had an Irish passport. No one was Irish.
Nobody holds Welsh citizenship or has a Welsh passport today. So, according to Thork, are there no Welsh?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2022, 03:59:34 PM »
no one held Irish citizenship. No one had an Irish passport. No one was Irish.
Nobody holds Welsh citizenship or has a Welsh passport today. So, according to Thork, are there no Welsh?
This is like saying "Thork says there is no black people because there is no Blackland". You're arguments are ridiculous.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2022, 04:01:16 PM »
This is like saying "Thork says there is no black people because there is no Blackland". You're arguments are ridiculous.
I'm glad we agree your position is ridiculous.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2022, 04:04:31 PM »
I'm glad we agree your position is ridiculous.
I said YOUR arguments are ridiculous. When you misinterpret even simple sentences I realise how much of my knowledgeable help is just passing you by. You're like a bucket with a hole in the bottom.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2022, 04:08:11 PM »
I said YOUR arguments are ridiculous.
All I did was apply your argument about the Irish to the Welsh. If you agree it's ridiculous, my job here is done.

Online honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2022, 03:29:22 AM »
Precisely. It is equally a big stretch to claim that Northern Ireland belongs to the Irish, being as there were no Irish until their independence in 1922 ... we were all British. For them to claim independence in the South and suddenly also have the right to land in the North is an absurd claim. The people in the North (also British) decided to remain British via referendum and they live on the land they've always lived and their forefathers of thousands of years have lived. People in the South have no claim over the land of the North. Its not theirs. Never was theirs. Never belonged to their ancestors ... it belonged to the forefathers of those who now CURRENTLY live in Northern Ireland who choose to call themselves British.

What kind of an argument is this? Irish history did not begin in the year 1922! When people talk about Ireland, they refer to a cultural and national identity that goes beyond the political entity officially known as the Republic of Ireland, and absolutely includes Northern Ireland. If the people of Northern Ireland want to remain a part of the United Kingdom, they have every right to, but come on, you can't just exclude vast chunks of history from "counting" due to who controlled the country politically at the time. Ireland was Ireland when it was controlled by the Celts, and Ireland was Ireland when it was controlled by the British.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2022, 11:24:56 AM »
When people talk about Ireland, they refer to a cultural and national identity that goes beyond the political entity officially known as the Republic of Ireland, and absolutely includes Northern Ireland.
Actually, at least part of the confusion is that the official name of the Republic of Ireland in English is "Ireland". The term "Republic of Ireland" is a description used when it is necessary to distinguish between the island of Ireland and the sovereign state. Of course, everyone except Thork is perfectly capable of navigating this ambiguity based on context.

Online honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2022, 01:05:36 AM »
Just in case Thork hasn't run away from this thread, I'd also like to point out that Ireland isn't unique in the idea of a cultural and national identity not being limited to one particular ethnic group or political entity. I doubt you'd say that Hadrian's Wall shouldn't be considered a British landmark because it was built by the Romans, nor the White Tower because it was built by the Normans. Or just look at the body of legend surrounding King Arthur - it's hard to think of anything more quintessentially British than that, and yet it's known to be Celtic in origin.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 02:05:34 AM by honk »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y