Eye level horizon
« on: June 16, 2018, 07:04:16 PM »
The claim that the horizon is always at eye level, is a fundamental basis for flat earth perspective and reasoning, yet I have never seen any flat earther prove this claim.

I've seen flat earthers point the camera at the horizon and move the camera up/down to show that the horizon seems to follow the cameras level, but never seen a flat earther show and prove that the horizon is at eye level at higher altitudes.

So my questions:
Has it ever been proven?
Would it not be easy to prove this claim?

Offline Bobby Shafto

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdv72TaxoaafQr8WD
    • View Profile
    • Bobby Shafto YouTube Channel
Re: Eye level horizon
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 08:05:13 PM »
Recently, the certainty level of that claim has started to pull back a little.

It's never been proven, per se.  It's affirmed in the book "Earth is Not a Globe," but the experimental observations done to demonstrate it are vague and otherwise unconvincing due to the execution.

On the other hand, we've had some recent topics (last couple of months) discussing this very thing and how to test it. (like the one I'm most vested in.)

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 08:17:28 PM »
Recently, the certainty level of that claim has started to pull back a little.

It's never been proven, per se.  It's affirmed in the book "Earth is Not a Globe," but the experimental observations done to demonstrate it are vague and otherwise unconvincing due to the execution.

On the other hand, we've had some recent topics (last couple of months) discussing this very thing and how to test it. (like the one I'm most vested in.)

Is it not as simple as standing on a skyscraper with a spirit level?
Or again on a skyscraper, place 2 equally heighted objects and looking straight aligned with them?
I fail to see the difficulty.

Offline Bobby Shafto

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdv72TaxoaafQr8WD
    • View Profile
    • Bobby Shafto YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 04:07:15 PM »
Well I certainly never said it was difficult, given a clear view to the horizon and a little elevation.

My problem has been getting the clear, convincing view. I probably won't have that locally until the Fall.

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 08:31:48 PM »
Is it not as simple as standing on a skyscraper with a spirit level?
Or again on a skyscraper, place 2 equally heighted objects and looking straight aligned with them?
I fail to see the difficulty.

It's not that simple. Where we see the horizon to be can be totally different than where the horizon really exists because of things like refraction.

Well if we judge the position, direction, height, distance, and size of the arrow based off of light bouncing off of the arrow and hitting some sort of light detector (eyes or camera) then the answer depends on a great number of factors.

Just because You perceive bouncing photons to indicate something that is 14 feet tall does not mean that something is really 14 feet tall. It only means that you perceived the object to be 14 feet tall.