The Burden of Proof
« on: January 19, 2018, 09:02:17 PM »
So I was reading Through the wiki and came across the Burden of Proof section the one example I found confusing is:

If two people are having a debate, should the burden of proof rest on the shoulders of the person who make the most complicated claim, or should the burden of proof rest on the shoulders of the person who makes the simplest and easily observable claim?

I find in an debate both sides have to provide evidence or you are not actually having a debate.

Wisdom is not acquired save as the Result of Investigation
-Sara Teasdal

Offline supaluminus

• Hi. I'm supe.
    • View Profile
Re: The Burden of Proof
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 09:29:41 PM »
So I was reading Through the wiki and came across the Burden of Proof section the one example I found confusing is:

If two people are having a debate, should the burden of proof rest on the shoulders of the person who make the most complicated claim, or should the burden of proof rest on the shoulders of the person who makes the simplest and easily observable claim?

I find in an debate both sides have to provide evidence or you are not actually having a debate.

I don't know how this particular forum does things, but this is how I usually structure debate:

1 ) First person makes a claim. They may present evidence from the outset or bit by bit as the first person is plied with questions.

2 ) Second person rebuts the first claim, either by questioning the reasoning, or scrutinizing the evidence, or a combination of the two.

3 ) First person raises objections to the second person's rebuttal in an attempt to either clear up confusion or indicate to the second person why their reasoning is poor.

4 ) Both may then hash out any discrepancies or disagreements and either come to a consensus or agree to disagree.

You can get stuck in steps 3 and 4 ad nauseum, but that's why I stick to a rule of thumb like, "If two people have an argument for more than five minutes, they're both wrong." But I'm just spitballing.
When an honest man discovers that he is mistaken, either he will cease being mistaken...

... or he will cease being honest.

- a loyal slave to reason and doubt

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:45:50 PM »

I don't know how this particular forum does things, but this is how I usually structure debate:

1 ) First person makes a claim. They may present evidence from the outset or bit by bit as the first person is plied with questions.

2 ) Second person rebuts the first claim, either by questioning the reasoning, or scrutinizing the evidence, or a combination of the two.

3 ) First person raises objections to the second person's rebuttal in an attempt to either clear up confusion or indicate to the second person why their reasoning is poor.

4 ) Both may then hash out any discrepancies or disagreements and either come to a consensus or agree to disagree.

You can get stuck in steps 3 and 4 ad nauseum, but that's why I stick to a rule of thumb like, "If two people have an argument for more than five minutes, they're both wrong." But I'm just spitballing.
This is somewhat fine for a simpler yes/no question. Like what is covered by most debate clubs. But for something more complex (flat vs round isn't really two sides of the same coin, and neither side is a negative) BOTH should be presenting evidence at first. Then you dissect and attempt to discredit the evidence of the other, followed by rebuttals of the dissection. Unfortunately FE usually boils down to 'Well, it *looks* flat' at the core of why. Which, one can't really argue with directly. Because yeah, it rather does look flat. They must be willing to look beyond that without being biased by this original observation in order to start to understand why the Earth is like a book. Instead we have a whole host of things (many unobserved elsewhere or misunderstood) that are created to accommodate this 'obvious truth' of the Earth being flat. Also why debates generally have a moderator of some form. You aren't attempting to convince the other, you are attempting to convince the presumably neutral third party. The undecided.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 10:50:58 PM »
Thank you both for your  insight on this subject i was simply confused by how there wiki presented who should or should not be providing more evidence this clears it up

Again thanks
-Sara Teasdal

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 03:43:45 PM »

I believe that you are cutting things slightly out of context. What immediately follows from that sentence is the example on the debate on the existence of ghosts. One side is claiming that ghosts exists, and the other one is claiming that ghosts do not exist. The most easily observable claim is that, of course, ghosts do not exist. So who holds the burden of proof?

Once you assert that it is clearly the people claiming the existence of ghosts who need to demonstrate that they exist, and not on the skeptic to demonstrate that they do not exist, the logical progression will show that the burden of proof is on anyone claiming to look at the world and see that it is round.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 04:04:22 PM »
With that example on ghosts while yes in that scenario it is instinctively put on the one who says ghosts don't exist when the person claiming the exist provides evidence the person claiming they don't then would naturally respond with there own evidence thus both sides provide evidence.
-Sara Teasdal

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 04:15:04 PM »
With that example on ghosts while yes in that scenario it is instinctively put on the one who says ghosts don't exist when the person claiming the exist provides evidence the person claiming they don't then would naturally respond with there own evidence thus both sides provide evidence.

The side claiming that ghosts do not exist need only to look around and say "I don't see any ghosts," and thus the evidence for their non-existence has been provided. This is why the burden of proof is primarily on the people claiming that ghosts do exist.

Similarly, Flat Earthers need only to look at the world and say that it looks flat, and thus evidence for the flatness of the world has been provided. The burden of proof is primarily on the people who look at the world and claim that they see it to be round.

In both examples above our empirical experiences have already decided the matter. It is those experiences which must be contradicted.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 04:24:29 PM »

The side claiming that ghosts do not exist need only to look around and say "I don't see any ghosts," and thus the evidence for their non-existence has been provided. This is why the burden of proof is primarily on the people claiming that ghosts do exist.

Similarly, Flat Earthers need only to look at the world and say that it looks flat, and thus evidence for the flatness of the world has been provided. The burden of proof is primarily on the people who look at the world and claim that they see it to be round.
Hmm. But isn't that like me saying "I don't believe in kangaroos, I have never seen any kangaroos".
I could then say that the burden of proof lies with people who claim they do exist.
The difference between kangaroos and ghosts of course is it would be quite easy for people to show me photographs and film of kangaroos and probably arrange a visit for me to see one - in my part of the world that would be in a zoo. The burden of proof would then lie with me to show that all this evidence is wrong.

To relate this to FE/RE I think it's fairly reasonable for someone to look out to sea, observe a flat horizon and conclude the earth is flat unless demonstrated otherwise.
The RE response though would be "look at all these photos/film of the earth from space and the testimony of all the people who claim to have been to space, look at these photos which show distant buildings occluded by the curve of the earth, look at all these observations which fit models of a spherical earth...etc etc".

The burden of proof then lies with FE to demonstrate that all this evidence is wrong/fake and that a flat earth model can explain all these observations, no?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 04:58:10 PM »

In both examples above our empirical experiences have already decided the matter. It is those experiences which must be contradicted.
The proof is the path of the sun and measured distances.  You agreed that timeanddate.com is correct, so do the maths to determine the size and shape of the earth.  You also understand how satellite tv dish alignment also proves the shape of the earth.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 05:51:47 PM »
the burden of proof is always on the claimant.  it doesn't matter what the claim is.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 06:23:35 PM »
Hmm. But isn't that like me saying "I don't believe in kangaroos, I have never seen any kangaroos".

Of course, why wouldn't it be? I have never seen a kangaroo personally, but that doesn't mean you can't provide solid evidence that they exist. As the one making the claim that they exist why wouldn't the burden be on you to prove it? That you can do so quite easily in this particular instance is no refutation of Tom's point.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 08:06:39 PM »

Of course, why wouldn't it be? I have never seen a kangaroo personally, but that doesn't mean you can't provide solid evidence that they exist. As the one making the claim that they exist why wouldn't the burden be on you to prove it? That you can do so quite easily in this particular instance is no refutation of Tom's point.
Well, I guess the point is the existence of kangaroos is not particularly controversial. If I claimed that they didn't exist then why isn't the burden of proof of the "great kangaroo conspiracy" on me? I'm the one making the crazy claim. Obviously "crazy" is subjective but I think it would be a pretty crazy claim that an entire species which there are numerous photos and videos of and which many people have seen in the flesh doesn't actually exist.

The RE model has been accepted for thousands of years, long before the space race. Photos and video from space and the claims of people who say they have travelled into orbit do reinforce what we've already known for centuries about the shape of the earth but they aren't telling us anything we didn't already know. If people are coming along and saying that thousands of years of science is wrong, that all the photos and video from numerous space agencies are fake and all the people involved are lying then I'd suggest that is the more fantastic claim which has the burden of proof on it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:11:23 PM by AllAroundTheWorld »
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 09:42:33 PM »

Well, I guess the point is the existence of kangaroos is not particularly controversial. If I claimed that they didn't exist then why isn't the burden of proof of the "great kangaroo conspiracy" on me? I'm the one making the crazy claim. Obviously "crazy" is subjective but I think it would be a pretty crazy claim that an entire species which there are numerous photos and videos of and which many people have seen in the flesh doesn't actually exist.

Again, the burden is on you. That it's easy to prove means nothing; you are making a positive claim (kangaroos exist), therefore if for some reason their existence were up for debate you would be the one who needs to prove his claim.

The RE model has been accepted for thousands of years, long before the space race. Photos and video from space and the claims of people who say they have travelled into orbit do reinforce what we've already known for centuries about the shape of the earth but they aren't telling us anything we didn't already know. If people are coming along and saying that thousands of years of science is wrong, that all the photos and video from numerous space agencies are fake and all the people involved are lying then I'd suggest that is the more fantastic claim which has the burden of proof on it.

You need to set aside preconceived prejudices in order to participate in a debate in a reasonable manner. That FE is more "fantastic" than RE is purely a subjective opinion and can't be used to decide something so important as who has the burden of proof. We have the most basic empirical evidence on our side; the Earth looks flat. Therefore it's up to you to prove that it's not. With so much "proof" at your disposal it should be easy so what's the problem?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 09:52:51 PM »

Again, the burden is on you. That it's easy to prove means nothing; you are making a positive claim (kangaroos exist), therefore if for some reason their existence were up for debate you would be the one who needs to prove his claim.

You need to set aside preconceived prejudices in order to participate in a debate in a reasonable manner. That FE is more "fantastic" than RE is purely a subjective opinion and can't be used to decide something so important as who has the burden of proof. We have the most basic empirical evidence on our side; the Earth looks flat. Therefore it's up to you to prove that it's not. With so much "proof" at your disposal it should be easy so what's the problem?
It does not look flat, we see the horizon and the path of the sun.  Plus, of course,  measured distances.  What about alignment of satelllite tv dishes?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 10:28:58 PM »
Well, it is subjective in that it is my opinion that FE is the more fantastic claim but I'd suggest if you polled random people the vast majority of people would agree.
And the problem is all the proof which has been presented is just declared to be fake. I'd suggest that the burden of proof that it is fake lies with FE.
Which brings us back to kangaroos. If I declared all photos and videos of kangaroos fake and called all people who have seen them liars then I could convince myself I was right about that too. You can do that with anything.

I and others have pointed out quite a few issues with the FE model, I've presented proof that for clouds to be lit from below the sun must be physically below the level of the clouds, and that perspective cannot account for things disappearing below the horizon on a flat plane. There has been little or no FE response. So the problem is the proof has been presented, it is just being ignored.

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 11:26:32 PM »
I have walked around outside for a while now and i can onestly say that it does not look flat it lumps and bumps.

So how is looking at the earth evidence?
-Sara Teasdal

Offline xenotolerance

• byeeeeeee
    • View Profile
    • flat Earth visualization
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 02:55:44 AM »
The kangaroo is space travel. There is no reasonable doubt that space travel is faked, and there is an abundance of public knowledge and material evidence demonstrating its history and ongoing use; people insist that kangaroos aren't real.

This is my chosen sticking point for flat Earth debate. Prove the space travel conspiracy; without it, nothing else matters. (See also the Burden Of Proof link in my signature)

Offline Ratboy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 06:56:07 PM »

It does not look flat, we see the horizon and the path of the sun.  Plus, of course,  measured distances.  What about alignment of satelllite tv dishes?
Regarding the satellite dish alignment, how can something stay in one place in the sky when everything else moves around on a 24 hour cycle?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 07:01:51 PM »
The kangaroo is space travel. There is no reasonable doubt that space travel is faked, and there is an abundance of public knowledge and material evidence demonstrating its history and ongoing use; people insist that kangaroos aren't real.

This is my chosen sticking point for flat Earth debate. Prove the space travel conspiracy; without it, nothing else matters. (See also the Burden Of Proof link in my signature)
The thing is, even if it did transpire that NASA and all the other space agencies are faking it - obviously it won't, you can actually SEE the ISS from earth and NASA publish a site telling you when and where, and GPS and satellite TV demonstrably work. Where are they getting their signals from if it's not satellites? Anyway, even if it did...that still wouldn't show that the earth is flat. We have known for millennia that the earth is a globe, long before we could fly much less get into space.