26 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: religion
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 02:20:41 PM »
Why so many atheists?  I don't get it unless there is trolling going on

Why would you expect it to be otherwise? The majority of people in the UK and some northern European countries are atheist. Australia is about 30-40% atheist and amongst millennial Americans, between 15 and 25% are atheist.

In such a small population size, it's not unreasonable to assume that the majority of members who have answered are from a demographic which is highly overrepresented on the internet. Considering most members are from The West, it would be far more unusual if they were Hindu or Buddhist.

Atheism is primarily being formed by the constant rise of scientism.
It's not scientism.  Scientism isn't a word.  It's just Science.  And we have a constant rise of education.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 06:24:11 PM »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 07:56:17 PM »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 09:34:56 PM »

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 09:48:50 PM »
If you press a lot of so called Athiests, you will find that they are nominally Agnostic anyway. People don't understand the full implications of the term Athiest, its more like "I don't like like organised religion much so yeah, I'm an Athiest." Now we do have some real Athiests on here, and maybe even some FE Athiests. But just saying, "I'm an Athiest" and not knowing anything about your chosen philosophical worldview is no different to saying "I'm a Christian" or "I'm a Hare Krishna" or "I'm a White Rabbit" if you never bother to go to church, read a bible, eat vegetarian and hand out stickers, or hop up and down in a field. People are often inconsistent with what they believe and some just say stuff without even thinking.

A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 09:54:29 PM »
If you press a lot of so called Athiests, you will find that they are nominally Agnostic anyway. People don't understand the full implications of the term Athiest, its more like "I don't like like organised religion much so yeah, I'm an Athiest." Now we do have some real Athiests on here, and maybe even some FE Athiests. But just saying, "I'm an Athiest" and not knowing anything about your chosen philosophical worldview is no different to saying "I'm a Christian" or "I'm a Hare Krishna" or "I'm a White Rabbit" if you never bother to go to church, read a bible, eat vegetarian and hand out stickers, or hop up and down in a field. People are often inconsistent with what they believe and some just say stuff without even thinking.

^This

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 10:53:51 PM »

And others are pretty damn sure the great sky fairy is a myth, and in any case should one turn up would have serious disagreement with it about its ridiculous demands and would pledge for the opposition.

Or bottle it, but hopefully not, but it might be really scary.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

devils advocate

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 01:48:11 PM »

Yeah a lot of people tick "Christian" on census forms because;"well I'm not Muslim or Jewish" I saw a documentary with some idiot stating he couldn't choose his religion, he was adamant he was Catholic because his parents were...but oddly he absolutely denied the possible existence of god....

I think people do define themselves with words they don't understand.

Me, I'm a carnivorous vegan.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 01:53:28 PM »
Theism and atheism are just two answers to the question:

"Do you believe that a god exists?"

The answer to that is either yes or no - theist or atheist.

The confusion is asking the question: "Does a god exist?" Which can yield 'yes', 'no', or 'I don't know.' instead. That is where we get into the question of Gnosticism v agnosticism. It's a statement of what you 'know' (or think you know).

It's perfectly possible to say you don't believe in god, but when asked whether a god exists to say that you don't know. That means you're an agnostic atheist. In fact, of the possible answers to this:

1Y2Y - Gnostic Theist
1Y2N - Can't logically answer this way "I believe god exists but I know he doesn't"
1Y2DK - Agnostic Theist
1N2Y - Can't logically answer this way "I don't believe god exists but I know he does"
1N2N - Gnostic Atheist
1N2DK - Agnostic Atheist

You don't need to understand the full implications of what you believe to believe in something.

Rama Set

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2017, 02:22:17 PM »
Agnostic Atheist seems like a contradictory term since the term atheist means you don’t believe in supernatural beings and agnostic means you don’t know. Unless an agnostic atheist is someone who doesn’t know they don’t believe in supernatural beings?

Your positions also don’t include, “I don’t know God exists but it would super surprising considering the world we live in contains no evidence of God.”

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 02:27:33 PM »
It's also possible to say that you believe God probably exists based on the evidence but you can't say for sure because there's no definitive proof (the position of the agnostic deist).

At any rate I think most if not all ( they do tend to be better educated after all) atheists do recognize that the position implies lack of belief. Certainly a dissatisfaction with one's religion can lead to atheism but I doubt many people actually equate the two, except maybe some theists who often truly don't seem to understand how someone can not believe in God.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 02:32:44 PM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Cobalt

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 04:28:33 PM »
Of course no one can be certain there is no god...for that matter I can't be certain I'm not in the Matrix, or the dream of a dolphin, etc.  If "absolute certainty of the absence of a god" is to be taken as the bar for true atheism, then we may as well not even have the word "atheist" in the first place.

If certainty is the bar for any belief then everyone on earth would be properly termed "agnostics".  Luckily we are able to recognize that language can afford a little bit more leeway than that.

Rama Set

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 05:12:27 PM »
Of course no one can be certain there is no god...for that matter I can't be certain I'm not in the Matrix, or the dream of a dolphin, etc.  If "absolute certainty of the absence of a god" is to be taken as the bar for true atheism, then we may as well not even have the word "atheist" in the first place.

If certainty is the bar for any belief then everyone on earth would be properly termed "agnostics".  Luckily we are able to recognize that language can afford a little bit more leeway than that.

People hold beliefs for irrational reasons. It is possible to be absolutely certain that god exists and to hold that belief because your mother said so, or you saw Jesus’ face in your doo-doo. Or people can claim to be certain God does not exist simply because they have never seen her or because their dog died of cancer and how is that fair?  Both beliefs are irrational but beliefs nonetheless and so we have words to describe these people.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2017, 08:39:46 PM »

All of the above (apart from Dither).
If god/s exist, (and I have seen nothing that suggests that is so) then hopefully any interest in a species that briefly smeared itself across the surface of one of the trillions of planets, would likely be one of curiosity rather than trying to force that life to worship it.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Rama Set

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 08:57:45 PM »
But God made us to worship him. We are like his sex slaves but instead of stroking his member, we stroke his ego.

devils advocate

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 09:26:10 PM »
But God made us to worship him. We are like his sex slaves but instead of stroking his member, we stroke his ego.

Can you imagine how BIG god's member would be?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2017, 09:26:38 PM »

Could God have a penis so big even he can't stroke it?

devils advocate

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2017, 09:27:35 PM »

Could God have a penis so big even he can't stroke it?

And what the end result be? Big bang II, the second coming...............

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2017, 11:21:02 PM »
Christian and Jew?

This person obviously didn't do their homework.

I am not a Jew, but I am a Christian, you could probably call me a Gentile too, or J-man

I'm fond of Bagels
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 11:23:45 PM by J-Man »
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Rama Set

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2017, 03:45:13 AM »
Christian and Jew?

This person obviously didn't do their homework.

I am not a Jew, but I am a Christian, you could probably call me a Gentile too, or J-man

I'm fond of Bagels

They are just applying Pascal’s wager to another religion. Classic Christian apologetics make it very easy to become a polytheist.