Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone planning on sending up a probe to photograph the Earth?
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 04:42:26 PM »
Should the photographs and other forms of documentation gathered by remotely operated submarines exploring the ocean depths be dismissed just because you don't have the resources to make your own deep sea submarine?
If repeatable empirical evidence contradicts it, or at least introduces considerable doubt - yes.
What repeatable empirical evidence contradicts, or introduces considerable doubt, about the validity of photographs from earth observing satellites or the personal observations of over 500 astronauts?

Look out your window.
I'm sorry Tom, but how is looking out my window even remotely comparable to looking at the earth from orbit?  ???

You asked for empirical evidence. Asking me to look at photographs or claims from NASA is not empirical evidence. It seems you have failed here.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 04:47:54 PM »
You asked for empirical evidence. Asking me to look at photographs or claims from NASA is not empirical evidence. It seems you have failed here.

But what ARE you suggesting he looks out at, Tom?

OK, you don't like NASA photos. I posted a couple of non-NASA photos here a few days ago, but they got moved. There's plenty of non-NASA photos to show the shape of the Earth.

https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=10399.0

Asking me/us to look at an old book, or claims from its author, is not empirical evidence either.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 05:08:34 PM by Tumeni »
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 07:12:41 PM »
Tom, do you consider the observations of people who have been to the bottom of the Mariana trench to be valid, empirical evidence?  What about their photographs or the photographs taken by remotely operated submarines?  I ask because there have only ever been 3 people and a handful of ROVs who have been there as opposed to over 500 people and numerous earth observing satellites who have been to outer space.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 07:30:23 PM »
Tom, do you consider the observations of people who have been to the bottom of the Mariana trench to be valid, empirical evidence?  What about their photographs or the photographs taken by remotely operated submarines?  I ask because there have only ever been 3 people and a handful of ROVs who have been there as opposed to over 500 people and numerous earth observing satellites who have been to outer space.
Once again I am reminded that asking politely is completely wasted on you.

Markjo, stop trying to derailed this thread. Warned. Since you're at 3 warnings, the next one will be a short ban.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2018, 02:17:45 AM »
What a fascinating topic! I have family who has traveled to Antarctica on holiday (it is rather close to New Zealand)! They never observed an ice wall, and they traveled sufficient distance where they would have struck it. Do we know how far one has to travel through Antarctica before the ice wall is found?
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior