Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: Fallout series
« Reply #500 on: December 13, 2015, 05:10:46 AM »
It's a very fun and entertaining games with many flaws.
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 13, 2015, 11:32:16 AM »
our criticisms

I'm not actually addressing Saddam specifically with this post, it's just that I know people probably think I hate the game too, so...

I'd just like to point out that while I would probably have more criticisms than Saddam does, I have yet to play it (and the way things are looking right now I probably never will), and have only commented seriously on parts of the game that I've actually seen. Make no mistake, what I have seen does look terrible (except for the stuff with the exaggerated facial expressions mod, but Bethesda didn't make that so it doesn't count), for example, more than anything now the game seems to be about you blasting your way through interchangeable squads of cannon fodder, and basically becoming an unstoppable wasteland god along the way. I get that that's one of the selling points of Bethesda's open world games, I just find it becomes very boring very quickly, and I'm not particularly interested in playing through such a game in service of another Heart-wrenching Personal Story™ (or Huge Piece of Shit, whichever you prefer HPS to stand for) the basic plot of which Emil Pagliarulo presumably cobbled together by applying William S. Burroughs' cut-up technique to blurbs from novels featured on the Oprah book club.

This isn't even about what is and what is not Fallout, I fully accept that Bethesda gets to decide what that is now, for better or worse. As far as I'm concerned the direction of the series under their guidance is no longer a Fallout I am interested in, but they're the ones making that decision, and if they'd rather cater to TES fans than Fallout fans, that's cool. Obsidian probably won't make another Fallout title, so the old stuff is pretty much dead and buried as far as the series is concerned today. Maybe the next title will be shipped around to other studios who might conceivably make a good go of it, but I don't really have any hope for that, as doubtless they'll be forced into using the mechanics Bethesda has put forth in their latest offering. Even NV, as much as it was a breath of fresh air at the time, couldn't really escape the problems which F3 standardised, and if a team of Black Isle alumni bolstered by younger talent couldn't do it, I'm not sure what other devs can bring to the table under similar circumstances. Unless they are allowed the time and budget to build up their own vision of Fallout from scratch, I just don't see it, but if Bethesda does decide to diversify in that manner, maybe some good will come of it as a matter of course.

So yeah, no nostalgia goggles, no muh isometric perspective (although those screenshots do look pretty damn good), just acceptance of and a little sadness at the fact that one of my favourite game series of all time is no longer made for me or people like me. It's not all Bethesda's fault, they got the rights because Interplay decided to be amazingly terrible at everything, putting all their money into spin-off titles no one wanted and ultimately going bankrupt ─ Bethesda is just doing what they usually do but with a different paint job, what else could one expect? I can only hope that when I finally get around to it Wasteland 2 will prove to be something that truly brings the post-apocalyptic RPG experience I've been missing all these years into the world of modern gaming, and if not it will at least still be a fun nostalgia trip, not just for the gameplay or the visual style, but also for the music of Mark Morgan, original contributions from whom were sorely missed by me and probably at least a few others in the more recent Fallout titles.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 13, 2015, 11:34:15 AM »
Literally everyone else I know who has FO4 loves it. And it's been getting good reviews overall.

I really don't understand why everyone here seems to dislike it.

Bethesda games have garnered a lot of dissent from core gamers since Oblivion despite their critical acclaim and casual appeal, and FO4 is no different in that regard. The thing is that in real life people don't go out of their way to bring up things they don't like. That's what internet forums and imageboards are for!

I mean, it's not unusual for literally everyone you know to love Marvel movies, but is it really surprising to you that there are people who don't love them?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 13, 2015, 12:28:39 PM »
No it must be because everyone who doesn't like what I like is a tryhard fuckwagon who hates things and hates liking things
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 13, 2015, 06:12:33 PM »
No it must be because everyone who doesn't like what I like is a tryhard fuckwagon who hates things and hates liking things

I never said that.

I think Blanko hit what I was looking for though. People are more comfortable picking things apart and being generally more negative on forums. Sometimes it just gets exhausting to read. I want you assholes to have fun playing a game rather than seemingly forcing yourself to play something you hate.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 13, 2015, 06:32:40 PM »
Oh, I know, I was more referencing Franklin. [emoji14]

Usually I'd quit a game I disliked that much, but the Fallout series means enough to me that I wanted to finish it.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 15, 2015, 02:18:19 AM »
The voiced main character is a really stupid addition to such a large open world game. Now I can't play the game as an extremely quiet psychopath who speaks to his victims with his mind.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #507 on: December 15, 2015, 04:55:18 AM »
And I can't play the game as a guy who isn't awkward and stilted as all hell.  Although there's probably a mod to get rid of the PC's voice by now.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:22:47 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 15, 2015, 06:09:55 AM »
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #509 on: December 15, 2015, 10:00:45 PM »
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/103/?

All this does is mute the sound of the PC's voice.  I still have to watch him mouthing the words silently.  BAAAWWWWWW.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: December 16, 2015, 09:21:58 AM »
Well it's the best you can get. Deal with it.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #511 on: December 16, 2015, 08:57:02 PM »
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3015398/software/the-10-best-pc-games-of-2015.html#slide6

"Yeah, the game's pretty much a piece of shit, but mods make it marginally better.  Well done, Bethesda!"

To balance my constant bawing with something positive, at least Bethesda didn't rehash the Enclave in F4.  I honestly wouldn't have been surprised going into this if they had been a faction again.  You can get your hands on a set of Enclave power armor, though, and it's the strongest in the game.  That's fine.  Really, it's how later installments in a series ought to acknowledge the previous titles, just with little nods to continuity here and there.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 16, 2015, 10:20:59 PM »
Enclave DLC, I can guarantee it.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 16, 2015, 11:15:26 PM »
You can get your hands on a set of Enclave power armor, though, and it's the strongest in the game.  That's fine.  Really, it's how later installments in a series ought to acknowledge the previous titles, just with little nods to continuity here and there.
You can actually get a whole lot of those.
The Mastery.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 17, 2015, 12:30:53 AM »
The best thing about Fallout 4 is that it probably made Bethesda a ton of money, so hopefully that means they'll do a bang-up job on Elder Scrolls 6. I'd like to see the Dwemer make it in as a playable race somehow.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #515 on: December 17, 2015, 01:10:32 AM »
The best thing about Fallout 4 is that it probably made Bethesda a ton of money, so hopefully that means they'll do a bang-up job on Elder Scrolls 6.

Positive reinforcement doesn't usually encourage a change of habits.

I'd like to see the Dwemer make it in as a playable race somehow.

You're trying to provoke the lorebeards here, but I'm sure Bethesda could find a way to do that if they wanted to.

You can actually get a whole lot of those.

Don't be pedantic.  But yes, power armor is far too plentiful in this game.  Who the hell thought that "raider power armor" was a good idea?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 17, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »
"The Dwemer didn't disappear. They were sent to the future."
The Mastery.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 17, 2015, 08:03:52 PM »
So, I started playing this at my brother's, only had time to get to the Concorde Town Hall. I pretty much agree with all the criticism that's been levelled at it so far. After a Jessica Jones binge on Netflix, I imagined my character as I bitchy, cynical pessimist who is left traumatised by everything that happens in V111. Not only is the game clearly meant to be the man's story (He introduces the game in first person, his military experience is what secures your vault position, etc.) but it seems to be impossible to play anyone but a bright-eyed bushy-tailed Hero from the Vault. I have to ask, is this just a consequence of the game holding your hand a little too tightly at the start or do you really not have much of a choice in any interaction in the game?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 17, 2015, 11:45:36 PM »
No, it basically continues like that. The dialogue options are basically "Question, then I'll help", "Yes of course I'll help!", "No (but actually yes I'll help)", and "Fuck you you worthless asshole (but yes I'll help)".

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #519 on: December 18, 2015, 01:46:54 AM »
And it's not even just when you're receiving quests.  It's amazing how many times that you'll simply be having a discussion with someone and then be given a pseudo-choice that just leads to you expressing the same view in four slightly different way, even though it wouldn't impact the game at all to let you have your own opinion.  For example, when Father is trying to win you over to the Institute's side, he talks about how awful the post-apocalyptic world is and predicts that humanity's attempts at restarting civilization are all doomed to fail.  Then he asks you if you can honestly disagree with him - and guess what?  You can't!  If I'm remembering correctly, your options are basically, "Yes, you're right," "Damn right," "I don't know - uh - well...yes, you're right," and "No!  No, I mean - no...no, you're right."  Why can't I fucking disagree with him?

I'll admit that Father does have a point about the shittiness of the outside world, though.  The east coast seems to be locked in a state of perpetual chaos, which is very strange when the west coast has made significant strides in rebuilding civilization.  I don't know why Bethesda feels the need to keep setting their games further and further past the time of the bombs falling.  The chaotic state of the wasteland would make a lot more sense if they kept it around the time of F1.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 01:18:05 AM by Saddam Hussein »