Dual1ty

NASA's Lost 1966 Quantum Brake Technology?
« on: September 02, 2023, 07:03:37 PM »

« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 07:50:35 PM by Dual1ty »

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: NASA's Lost 1966 Quantum Brake Technology
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 07:19:12 PM »
Not too hard to figure out.  Like all spacecraft to date, the Gemini spacecraft had reaction control thrusters for maneuvering.  It's most likely that the "braking" maneuver was actually Stafford using the RCS thrusters to tilt the craft slightly to get a better view of the Agena target.  The rotation of the capsule just happened to momentarily match the motion of the earth.  Mystery solved.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Dual1ty

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2023, 07:23:07 PM »
Not too hard to figure out.  Like all spacecraft to date, the Gemini spacecraft had reaction control thrusters for maneuvering.  It's most likely that the "braking" maneuver was actually Stafford using the RCS thrusters to tilt the craft slightly to get a better view of the Agena target.  The rotation of the capsule just happened to momentarily match the motion of the earth.  Mystery solved.

Damn, what a remarkable coincidence! :o

How do you know it's even possible to do that maneuver in that exact fashion so that it amazingly matches the Earth going by?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 07:52:11 PM by Dual1ty »

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2023, 08:38:42 PM »
I agree, but stranger things have been known to happen.

How do you know it's even possible to do that maneuver in that exact fashion so that it amazingly matches the Earth going by?
Photographers pan cameras to match motion all the time.  Why is it so hard to believe that it could happen by accident every once in a while?

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Dual1ty

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2023, 08:46:50 PM »
I agree, but stranger things have been known to happen.

Photographers pan cameras to match motion all the time.  Why is it so hard to believe that it could happen by accident every once in a while?

"Why is it hard to believe" is a bad argument. Maybe it's possible to do that maneuver in that exact fashion, but how would you know?

Anyway, this could be [somewhat] legit, I'm not saying no. I'm not one of those guys that say they fake everything.

But I still wanted that explanation.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 08:50:52 PM by Dual1ty »

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2023, 08:51:55 PM »
"Why is it hard to believe" is a bad argument. Maybe it's possible to do that maneuver in that exact fashion, but how would you know?
Because I've taken enough pictures of things in motion to know that it isn't that hard.

I'm not one of those guys that say they fake everything.
Well, you certainly do give off that impression.

Dual1ty

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2023, 08:59:09 PM »
Because I've taken enough pictures of things in motion to know that it isn't that hard.

Yeah, but you haven't mounted a camera on a "Gemini SC9" going 36000 mph (or whatever) before.

I'm not one of those guys that say they fake everything.
Well, you certainly do give off that impression.

Nah, I unsubscribed from Level Earth Observer months ago because I don't like that junk food.

But since it's Saturday I'm having a little fun lol.

Anyway, why are you trying to troll in my thread about the eye??
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 09:05:03 PM by Dual1ty »

Re: NASA's Lost 1966 Quantum Brake Technology?
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2023, 08:22:25 PM »
It doesn’t even exactly match it. It’s rotating, then rotating *less* (relative to the earth in such a way that the camera is moving to point at the earth in the same way) then rotating more. It clearly isn’t “stopping”. Like this is shockingly obvious. There can’t be adults that think this a “epic NASA fail”, there just can’t be.

EDIT: The comments… are full of people that think this is proof of something… what is happening to people these days?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 08:28:09 PM by Realestfake »

Offline markjo

• View Profile
Re: NASA's Lost 1966 Quantum Brake Technology?
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2023, 11:06:18 PM »
One pretty obvious thing that I forgot to mention.  If the Gemini capsule and Agena target are both going 18,000 mph (5 miles per second) and the Gemini suddenly slows to zero mph, then why didn't the Agena target shoot past at 18,000 mph?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 11:09:15 PM by markjo »