Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1440 on: July 29, 2015, 12:06:37 PM »
Stargate Atlantis (Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, 2004-2009)

Well, this was a treat. A lot more consistent than SG-1, albeit with much less frequent "fun" episodes. I'd definitely rate this as one of my all-time favourite TV series.

Character detail and development is more complex and mature than in SG-1, leading to more engaging interactions. In particular, the show isn't driven by the small-team vibe that pervades its younger brother, so as important characters are swapped out in later seasons, the show changes but doesn't lose much. On top of that, the Wraith are a better developed foe than either the Goa'uld or the Ori.

I don't really have any negative criticisms of the series as a whole, although naturally (as with anything) it had the occasional weak episode. Watch this.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: August 03, 2015, 01:33:40 PM »
I've just started watching SGA and I agree that it's better than I remember it but there are some glaring plot-holes which I'd like to see addressed:

If the Wraith were so determined to get to Atlantis that they basically brought the resources of a whole galaxy to bear on the Ancients, why didn't they occasionally try the gate while it was submerged? I can understand that maybe they thought it was lost forever, but you'd think that they would have at least tried.

Likewise, Why didn't they leave a single probe or scoutship, or send the odd patrol over Atlantis after they faked their destruction after the first siege? You would have thought they would have wanted to see if anything was salvageable.

Basically, the biggest problem with the series is how powerful the Wraith are. There's simply no believable answer as to why they didn't simply swoop down and obliterate them. It was a problem that SG1 had with the Goa'uld until they invented the Asgard alliance to give a flimsy reason that Earth escaped their attentions for so long.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving SGA, especially the character dramas and the tensions between the airforce and the civilians, but there's always a niggle at the back of my mind which says that they should all be dead.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: August 04, 2015, 12:04:31 PM »
Haven't posted reviews for a while, so this next one is about a film I saw a good while ago but never got around to writing a review about.

Norte, the End of History (Lav Diaz, 2013)

Clocking in at four hours and ten minutes, this film is apparently one of the shortest of this Filipino director's offerings. It's mainly an exploration of class differences in the Philippines - it follows the lives of Fabian, an upper class young adult who murders a money lender, Joaquin, a poor man who gets the crime pinned on him and is imprisoned as a result, and Eliza, the man's wife who has to struggle to feed her family. The film spends almost half its running length just getting to know the characters, with lengthy shots of Fabian having sophomoric conversations with his friends, fluidly inserting English quotations into their speech with the all-knowing attitude of people who think they know how to solve everything wrong with the world. The more down-to-earth family is shown struggling with what they have. But Fabian's upper class mentality appears to be a mere facade - he and Joaquin have to employ the services of the same money lender to get by, with Fabian somehow managing to stay afloat with the help of his far more successful friends. Eventually his financial troubles pile up too much for him to handle, and he sees murdering his money lender as the only way out. The crime is pinned on Joaquin and lacking the resources for proper criminal defense he is imprisoned as a result, leaving Fabian to roam free with his guilt.

It's at this point where it begins to show why Diaz opts for even longer running times than this. Everything in the first half feels very deliberately paced, but once the plot really starts rolling in the second half, you see plot threads being rushed to resolution and new ones introduced out of nowhere. It changes from a very keen and complex exploration of class disparity into an episodic structure of things simply happening, creating a situation where many scenarios seem too simplistic to even be included, but if they had been fleshed out more their inclusion would have made more sense in the grander scheme of the narrative. Eventually the film ends, not really with a satisfying narrative conclusion, but rather by running out of things to say. I just have to wonder if there's a six hour cut of this film where the latter half is more fleshed out, because what I saw seemed too rushed for what I imagine Diaz intended.

It may fall apart a little, but it's not often I come across a four hour film where my main criticism is that it should have been even longer, and that's because Diaz's slow but deliberate pacing works extremely well for the first half of the film. I was absorbed just getting to know these characters, listening in on their immaculately written conversations, and for that time it didn't feel a moment too long or too short. I don't know what this film was like before it entered the editing room, but it could have easily been a masterpiece. At the very least, Diaz's even longer films seem far less intimidating now. 8/10

Ex Machina (Alex Garland, 2015)

This was a neat, albeit small-scale hard sci-fi film. I was surprised to find out this had a production budget of $15 million, because it feels very much like an independent production with its small cast and few sets, and digital cinematography with dull, muted colours and underexposed lighting, making it look more like a student film than a high budget production. This film hinges entirely on its writing to work, and it does a pretty good job at that.

The basic setup is that Nathan, the creator of this film's version of Google is developing an AI in seclusion in his high-tech fortress, and he invites Caleb, an employee of his company to test the AI. And then shit happens, because AI. Given all the tropes of AI taking over the world and the dangers often associated with development of AI, it's not exactly difficult to guess what ends up happening in this film, but the route it takes is clever and messes with the expectations of both the main characters and the audience. While the story outline is good and it strikes a good balance between gratuitous technobabble and philosophical concepts, I found the dialogue and characterisation lacking. Nathan is jarringly dudebro-ish, while Caleb is a standard no-personality blue-collar worker. I get that they were trying to subvert the expectation of a reclusive genius, and Caleb's lack of personality makes sense given his doubts regarding whether he is an AI himself, but the contrast between their characters feels too forced and many of their conversations feel robotic and unrealistic as a result. It seems to be a general trend in sci-fi that exploration of the subject matter is treated with way more importance than characterisation, and it at least does tackle all the moral and practical questions regarding AI pretty intelligently, without leaving any gaping plot holes. 7/10
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:09:30 PM by Blanko »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1443 on: August 06, 2015, 03:29:39 PM »
Capeshit update: The Fant4stic movie that looked terrible and everyone thought would be terrible has, strangely enough, turned out to be utterly terrible:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_four_2015/

The ones with Jessica Alba got a more positive reception than this.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: August 06, 2015, 03:44:46 PM »
Capeshit update: The Fant4stic movie that looked terrible and everyone thought would be terrible has, strangely enough, turned out to be utterly terrible:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_four_2015/

The ones with Jessica Alba got a more positive reception than this.
Damn. I knew it would be bad but that is brutal.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: August 06, 2015, 07:33:07 PM »
I've just started watching SGA and I agree that it's better than I remember it but there are some glaring plot-holes which I'd like to see addressed:

If the Wraith were so determined to get to Atlantis that they basically brought the resources of a whole galaxy to bear on the Ancients, why didn't they occasionally try the gate while it was submerged? I can understand that maybe they thought it was lost forever, but you'd think that they would have at least tried.

Likewise, Why didn't they leave a single probe or scoutship, or send the odd patrol over Atlantis after they faked their destruction after the first siege? You would have thought they would have wanted to see if anything was salvageable.

Basically, the biggest problem with the series is how powerful the Wraith are. There's simply no believable answer as to why they didn't simply swoop down and obliterate them. It was a problem that SG1 had with the Goa'uld until they invented the Asgard alliance to give a flimsy reason that Earth escaped their attentions for so long.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving SGA, especially the character dramas and the tensions between the airforce and the civilians, but there's always a niggle at the back of my mind which says that they should all be dead.

I think they said they set the gate so only earth can dial it after the Ancient's exodus.  The Wraith had no need to salvage anything from the Ancients after the first siege.  Their motivation in the series is because they learn humans exist elsewhere in the cosmos and need better hyper drives to get to the Milky Way.

As for super-powerful enemy... yep.  They cloak a lot and then move the city to evade destruction.  So there's that, I guess.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1446 on: August 10, 2015, 07:24:09 PM »
The second season of True Detective concluded last night!  What did my fellow viewers think of it?  The critics ruthlessly shredded it, and are pretty much united in labeling it one of the worst sophomore slumps for television in a very long time.  I don't quite agree with that, possibly because I was one of the few people who wasn't particularly enthusiastic about the first season to begin with.  In fact, I personally enjoyed this season much more than the first one, finding it less boring, less predictable, and less loaded with casual sexism (at least until the last few episodes, where the sexism thing came back in a very unpleasant way).  But yeah, this season did have some flaws.

One obvious point is that the dialogue is atrocious.  It sounds like it was written by aliens.  The previous season had its share of eyebrow-raising lines, no doubt, but at least then, they were mainly confined to one character, that character was clearly identified by the narrative as being eccentric, and other characters would call him out on his nonsense frequently.  Here, the weird dialogue is spread out among all the characters, and it's all played perfectly straight.  Everyone is an awkward fortune-cookie-paraphrasing Tommy Wiseau, and everyone is liable to spout howlers like "Never do anything out of hunger.  Not even eating," "When you walk, it's like erasers clapping," or "You're asking me if he's that kind of guy.  He looks half-anaconda, half-great white."  On a similar note, the story is convoluted and confusing, a jumble of names and expository infodumps sprinkled so sparsely throughout the series that it's very difficult to keep track of what's going on.

Also, the weirdly-Freudian psychosexual themes about fatherhood and emasculation didn't add anything of value to the season and just ended up reinforcing all the juvenile, regressive stereotypes about masculinity it (supposedly) attempted to examine.  Why is Colin Farrell an abusive, corrupt, violent, and unmotivated thug of a cop?  Because he's worried that his son was really fathered by his wife's rapist from twelve years ago.  The cuckold tension.  Why is Taylor Kitsch an unpleasant asshole who's outwardly homophobic and barely affectionate towards his girlfriend/fiancee?  Because he's a self-loathing closeted gay.  The homo tension.  Vince Vaughn's personal problems aren't entirely tied in with his professional life, to the show's credit, but even then they go to great lengths to parallel his business failures and frustrations with his inability to conceive a child with his wife.  That's another type of dopey tension there.

And why is Rachel McAdams a tough, competent detective who doesn't let herself get pushed around by her male colleagues?  Wait, that's not particularly unusual.  Who says that there needs to be some kind of traumatic secret leading to this, when there are so many - it's because she was raped, of course!  The rape-victim tension!  Yeah, because whoever heard of a woman doing traditionally masculine things without a rape backstory, right?  And of course, this rape backstory is treated with the usual amount of respect and delicacy that TV writers afford it - a few minutes of analysis before it's brushed aside to focus on the men brooding over their man-pain.  Terrible.  And then in the finale McAdams has to go on without them while the brave men stay behind to handle all the manly action and nobly sacrifice themselves.  In the end, the primary message I took away from this was that it's hard to be a white man in a white man's world.

I'd like to see a third season for the show, but if there is, then Nic Pizza really needs to bring in some other writers to help him out.  I suspect that he didn't face much pushback when he wrote this, and that's something that every showrunner needs, lest they turn into George Lucas.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:50:04 PM by Saddam Hussein »

« Reply #1447 on: August 11, 2015, 01:05:11 AM »
That's the message you took away from the first one? I'm struggling to get something even close to that out of it. I haven't seen the second season at all yet, so I can't really comment there.

On that note, is it worth watching?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: August 11, 2015, 01:30:24 AM »
I just watched Lavalantula. It was great and you should also watch it. It's about LA and there's an actor but he's a bit old and not exactly popular and then suddenly spiders and they're huge and they spit lava and hate humans but then the actor saves the day and everyone loves him.

Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #1449 on: August 11, 2015, 02:07:49 AM »
i know this is super annoying, but basically everything i want to say about this season contains spoilers, so i'm going to use the spoiler tag for the whole thing.  i realize this means that literally no one will read it or respond to it, but my thoughts are really important and deserving of being recorded for however long it takes for parsifal to accidentally spill some laphrofag on the tiny calculators that internets this place.

This is the best example that I can think of to sum up my feelings toward this season: In one of the final scenes we see Jordan holding a baby, and it's immediately revealed to be Ani's and Frank's.  I hate this decision.  Writing the baby as belonging to Jordan would've tied a lot of the show's themes together really well.  It would have made sense of Frank's impotence and Jordan's regular insistence that Frank always has the choice to step away from the table.  The baby becomes a metaphor for the bounty that could've been available to Frank had he been willing to make that choice, one that Jordan reaps because she was ultimately willing to.  Making the baby belong to Ani does nothing for me.  I can't think of what it adds to her story or character, unless their point was  "yeah this lady-cop can finally be happy or whatever now cause she finally has a baby."

Also, Frank isn't supposed to die of a stab wound in the desert.  I hate that.  I don't get the point in basically tricking the viewer into anticipating a Tony Montana ending and then doing him like a character in The Wire.  In The Wire it has a context: "in case you forgot, this is fucking Baltimore."  I just don't think it makes any sense or adds to his story at all to just be like "lol jk he dies in the desert for basically no reason."  The nihilism of it doesn't automatically make it more interesting.

Season 2 for me wasn't awful.  The writing actually did a lot to save it for me.  Once I got used to their roles, I also thought the performances by the leads were all pretty awesome.  But, I think it failed at executing virtually everything else it was trying to do.  Oddly, I still think it's worth watching if you enjoyed the first season.

Also I definitely didn't get the "white man's burden" in season 1.  I still think you're just evaluating the dialogue on the wrong criteria.  It's like watching a western and complaining about how no one talks like that.  No shit; it's a western.  That's a feature of the genre.  That's especially apropos of this season since they've included so many elements of the western genre.  True Detective isn't trying to sound like Law & Order.  It's supposed to sound like Dragnet.  It's supposed to sound like a dime store hardboiled detective novel like Maltese Falcon.  It's not merely an homage; that's literally what it's trying to be.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1450 on: August 11, 2015, 03:12:28 AM »
The "tough to be a white man" thing wasn't a fair criticism of the first season, I'll concede.  There was a lot of crude macho bullshit there, but the show wasn't oblivious to it, and at least made the effort to show that both Harrelson's slimy promiscuity and McConaughey's brooding nihilism had negative consequences.

I disagree with you about the dialogue, though.  You're saying that it's supposed to sound like a Western, Dragnet, and hardboiled detective fiction, but all three of those have very different styles of dialogue, and none of them sound much like True Detective at all.  Dragnet's dialogue in particular is pretty much its polar opposite.  The only distinctive style of dialogue I can think of that sounds similar to True Detective's is the way the Coen brothers write, and their movies are intentionally funny.  In any case, influence isn't nearly as important as quality.  If our opinions simply differ on this, there's no point in continuing to argue, but tell me: Could you seriously keep a straight face when one guy said, "A full moon is the best time to ratify alliances"?

Oh yeah, and one other thing I wanted to mention is that the big deal that all the characters make about Farrell's paternity woes comes across as very dumb to anyone who knows a bit about the law - like me.  In real life, the issue of paternity really only matters in custody cases within the first few years of the child's life.  When the conception was twelve years ago, and the legal father has been an active parent ever since, paternity is pretty much a moot point.  What would have been much more realistic, and much more "earned," so to speak, would be if Farrell's ex wanted him to lose custody based on the fact that he's impulsive, violent, and clearly quite corrupt.  The fact that the show instead chose to focus on the issue that involves his penis might tell us something about its views on masculinity.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:30:54 PM by Saddam Hussein »

« Reply #1451 on: August 11, 2015, 05:38:23 AM »
Could you seriously keep a straight face when one guy said, "A full moon is the best time to ratify alliances"?

Full Moon is likely the name of the orgy party.  The line is "Full moon is the best time to ratify alliances."  And check out the orgy invitation: http://i.imgur.com/Zz1oNRD.png

I don't think that Genuine Gumshoe is trying to sound like both a western and hardboiled.  I just mean that, like hardboiled fiction, westerns have as a feature of the genre a unique sort of dialogue that helps to define it.  The Searchers has some obnoxious dialogue, but to say that it suffers from poorly written dialogue is to ignore what it's trying to be. 

I don't mean to pester the point, it's just a common criticism of the show that I don't get.  I think the dialogue is taken much too seriously.  Although L&O isn't hardboiled, maybe a good analogy would be to Lenny Briscoe (a clear homage to the genre).  You're not supposed to think that Lenny's one-liners are brilliant or insightful or meaningful or some kind of misguided showcase by the writers.  It's just Lenny, and that's the sort of shit his character says.  Rustin Cohle is the Lenny Briscoe who moved to Louisiana and never got clean.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: August 16, 2015, 02:09:19 AM »
Straight Outta Compton

10/10 would Cube again.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: August 16, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »
Daredevil

First season of the Marvel Netflix show. I guess it's a step up from typical Marvel fare in terms of violence and so forth, and it does the gritty realism thing but it doesn't feel like it's trying too hard to be that way. It still has plenty of goofy comic book stuff and of course it is essentially about a blind ninja man who is also a lawyer fighting a large bald man for whom the greatest pleasure in life is custard.

The show's greatest strength is that it is very much character driven, and the action, although expertly handled in its own right, is that much more intense because the characters are well written and developed. Probably enough people have already said that Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk/Kingpin steals the show, and he does give the best performance of anyone here, but that's not to disparage the other actors involved. I also really liked Vondie Curtis-Hall as embattled journalist Ben Urich and Scott Glenn as Daredevil's harsh mentor Stick. Elden Henson's Foggy Nelson can occasionally be annoying, but for a character who often plays the comic relief, he is given a surprisingly rich treatment and ultimately comes across likeable.

While the conclusion was perhaps a little too understated in some ways and not enough in others, I enjoyed watching the thirteen episodes currently available and am looking forward to the second season.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: August 16, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »
The Zero Theorem (Terry Gilliam, 2013)

This was pretty good, although it fell short of my high expectations of Gilliam set by Brazil and 12 Monkeys. While I do enjoy a good dystopian satire, the plot seemed somewhat shallow and unimaginative. Good, but not as great as I'd hoped.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: August 25, 2015, 07:09:07 PM »
It's Korea time!!!

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (Kim Ki-duk, 2003)

This chronicles the life of a Buddhist monk, as he grows up in seclusion with his master, learns to love, and... other stuff. While beautifully shot, its fairytale-like charm makes this film very simplistic both narratively and morally, which I didn't find terribly interesting. If it didn't explore some adult themes, I think this film would be very fitting for children. That being said, it's certainly a good film overall, even though it didn't impress me that much personally. 7/10

3-Iron (Kim Ki-duk, 2004)

This film follows suit with its fairytale charm, but the premise of this film is very original and extremely well executed. The film follows Tae-suk, a homeless youngster who breaks into people's apartments while they're empty and lives there for a few days at a time. In one of these places he encounters Sun-hwa, an abused housewife whom he takes with him after playing revenge on the wife's husband. What then follows is a sequence of extremely well directed scenes, showing how the two characters learn each other's habits and mannerisms and become closer to each other - and what makes this so great is that the two never speak a single word to each other. The way the two characters communicate their intentions non-verbally to each other, as well as Kim to the audience, is phenomenal and speaks louder than any actual dialogue could. If I had anything negative to say about this film, it would be that the simplistic morality of the previous film is also quite present here, and is especially seen in how crudely the corrupt police force is portrayed. All in all however, those are only minor issues in an otherwise fantastic film. 9/10

A Bittersweet Life (Kim Jee-woon, 2005)

Moving into Korean thriller territory, we have an unremarkable action movie about a mobster that goes on a revenge rampage against his former employers, because love and shit. It's very basic and unoriginal, but at least the action is well directed. 6/10

Oldboy (Park Chan-wook, 2003)

Ah, the essential Korean film that everyone's already seen. It's no wonder that this film is the one to get the most attention in the west, or that it got a Hollywood remake. This, like what seems to be common for Korean films in general, has a degree of Hollywood pop-sensibility to it that you can't really find in other Asian cinema. I guess what I mean by that is that it just can't simply be a serious exploration of its themes, it also has to be a silly and gratuitously violent action movie. It feels like a lot of it is just filler to get to the ending twist (which I'm not going to spoil), but by the time it gets there the film feels too silly to be taken seriously when it's actually trying to say something. I guess it's a good film overall, it just seems to have a bit of an identity crisis. 7/10

Mother (Bong Joon-ho, 2009)

I don't really like mystery films that much because the breadcrumb trail to the solution always feels so arbitrary and meaningless when you don't know the solution yet. That's made even worse here as this film sets itself up to be a genuinely interesting exploration of a dysfunctional mother-son relationship - only for the bulk of it to be a mundane detective story where most of it has ultimately no bearing in the climax of the film. Missed potential. 6/10
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:12:25 PM by Blanko »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: August 26, 2015, 06:29:40 AM »
Stargate Universe (Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, 2009-2011)

Literally Battlestar Galactica (2004) Lite Edition. Which is a pity, because the concept had a lot of promise, but they went and ruined it by trying to copy BSG instead of innovating something distinctively Stargate.

The real kicker for me, though, was that the second half of the second season was just starting to pick up. They had a few episodes in there that showed promise of development into something unique, and the show ended on a cliffhanger that seemed poised to give season 3 a much needed fresh start. Unfortunately, it was too little too late; the show got cancelled and we never got to see what might have been.

On the bright side, the show is notable for its exploration of more realistic astrophysical phenomena than most sci-fi. As with the other Stargate series, rather than waving away the vastness of space and just pretending there are habitable planets everywhere, there's an in-universe explanation for the ease with which they come across such planets right from the start. Then there's the time they flew the ship through a blue supergiant, something that would have tickled my fancy ever since I first read about different types of stars as a kid. On the whole, this show has appeal to astronomical realists which it lacks to, well, people who enjoy a decent plot.

While it wasn't a total flop and there were some enjoyable episodes, there was nothing on the tier of SG-1 or Atlantis, and its early cancellation meant that the overarching story never finished being told. Probably missable unless you're as much of a completionist as I am.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1457 on: August 31, 2015, 05:15:58 PM »
capeshit capeshit

I watched the first couple of Blade movies.  The first one had a few neat moments, but was largely let down by a nonsensical story full of idiot characters, annoying yuppie villains, and an excessive amount of ugly (and hilariously dated) blood and gore effects.  The sequel is written marginally better, and is overall far superior due to Guillermo del Toro's stylish direction.

« Reply #1458 on: August 31, 2015, 11:24:38 PM »
I just finished the second episode of Narcos.  It's quite good so far.  I think it struggles a little bit to make the narrator someone I care about.  At this point I'm only in it for Pablo.  The narrator is a little bit too generic for me so far.  Beyond that, though, it's executing really well.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: September 01, 2015, 08:44:50 AM »
Stargate Universe (Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, 2009-2011)

Literally Battlestar Galactica (2004) Lite Edition. Which is a pity, because the concept had a lot of promise, but they went and ruined it by trying to copy BSG instead of innovating something distinctively Stargate.

The real kicker for me, though, was that the second half of the second season was just starting to pick up. They had a few episodes in there that showed promise of development into something unique, and the show ended on a cliffhanger that seemed poised to give season 3 a much needed fresh start. Unfortunately, it was too little too late; the show got cancelled and we never got to see what might have been.

On the bright side, the show is notable for its exploration of more realistic astrophysical phenomena than most sci-fi. As with the other Stargate series, rather than waving away the vastness of space and just pretending there are habitable planets everywhere, there's an in-universe explanation for the ease with which they come across such planets right from the start. Then there's the time they flew the ship through a blue supergiant, something that would have tickled my fancy ever since I first read about different types of stars as a kid. On the whole, this show has appeal to astronomical realists which it lacks to, well, people who enjoy a decent plot.

While it wasn't a total flop and there were some enjoyable episodes, there was nothing on the tier of SG-1 or Atlantis, and its early cancellation meant that the overarching story never finished being told. Probably missable unless you're as much of a completionist as I am.

I've still got SGU to watch after Atlantis, but I'm not looking forward to it. I remember hating every character besides Dr Rush (especially Eli who seemed like a Marty Stu self-insert in a Stargate Fan-fic) and it was really disjointed. It didn't seem to know whether it wanted to be a standard monster/ problem of the week Sci-fi or an episodic sci-fi with a strong overarching story arc, resulting in moments where I'd wonder whether I'd missed an episode.

That said, I'll reserve judgement because I remember disliking SGA when it first aired and now I love it.