Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: The Windows 10 thread
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 01:34:37 AM »
This is a pretty horrific analogy, since people can quite easily buy different brands of vehicles. Automobiles share the same basic characteristics and control standards across the entire planet.

As do desktop environments. The basic UI elements are common between Windows, OS X and the most popular DEs on Linux, as is a large selection of portable applications. There's always some overhead in switching, just as you might encounter with a car; some manufacturers switch the indicator and wiper controls around, or you might go from an automatic transmission to a manual. The basics are the same, though.

Sure, but it's less hassle to just stick with Windows than it is to learn another OS.

Apparently, it's a hassle to upgrade every time a new version of Windows comes out. Why not just take the hassle once by switching OS to something that doesn't break all user expectations with every new release?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 01:35:19 AM »
Because it's not a hassle? Not for me, at least. Never has been.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 01:39:05 AM »
Because it's not a hassle? Not for me, at least. Never has been.

A lot of people do find upgrades a hassle, to the point of not trusting the new version for months or even years after it's released. Look at Windows XP's longevity after the spectacular failure that was Vista, for instance. There are even examples in this thread:

There is no way I'll be downloading until I hear gushing praise and tales of unmatched stability. It needs to be better than Windows 8.1 (which I currently have) so the bar isn't exactly high, but Microsoft are good at smashing my expectations by attaining new lows I didn't think possible.
Does windows ten have the annoying spots on the screen I can't click without opening a giant overlay that locks me out of everything with apps I'll never use?
I'm tempted to install it now but... I know better and will wait until after I move.
I'm not really trusting of it yet.

If you don't find it a hassle, then you're not the sort of person I'm talking about. I'm talking about the people that spam the Internet with complaints every few years as Microsoft shits over a new leaf.

Also:

Also, OS X is terribler.

It really isn't. OS X is bad, but it's not that bad.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 04:23:36 PM »
Still waiting to get my invitation.
I believe you don't need one. You can just upgrade with the Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Unless they fixed that already, but I don't think they did.

Also, I installed Windows 10 the other day. So far I'm quite happy with it. They seem to have put a fair amount of effort into optimising the system and fixing some of the UX flaws of 8/8.1. Overall, a fairly competent upgrade, but don't expect it to blow you away.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:26:33 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 04:46:21 PM »
I believe you don't need one. You can just upgrade with the Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

There is nothing to fix. Microsoft advertises that method on their site. The wave upgrade invitations are for people who have little or no computer operating system experience and it is purpose built to allow Microsoft's customer service to handle their issues without being overwhelmed.

As do desktop environments. The basic UI elements are common between Windows, OS X and the most popular DEs on Linux, as is a large selection of portable applications. There's always some overhead in switching, just as you might encounter with a car; some manufacturers switch the indicator and wiper controls around, or you might go from an automatic transmission to a manual. The basics are the same, though.

Incorrect.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:57:20 PM by Rushy »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 05:25:11 PM »
There is nothing to fix. [...]
Okay, I used the wrong word. All I meant to say was "double-check what I said in case shit's outdated".
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 05:48:00 PM »
There is nothing to fix. [...]
Okay, I used the wrong word. All I meant to say was "double-check what I said in case shit's outdated".

It's not, I just got an email from Microsoft telling me to do it if I didn't want to wait and warning me it was for "tech savvy" individuals.

Also I am being a rude ass today. Dunno why.

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 08:49:27 PM »

Also, I installed Windows 10 the other day. So far I'm quite happy with it. They seem to have put a fair amount of effort into optimising the system and fixing some of the UX flaws of 8/8.1. Overall, a fairly competent upgrade, but don't expect it to blow you away.

Yep, I ended up doing that. Kept getting that infamous message so I created an install USB with it and upgraded that way.

I agree with your short review. A bit easier to get to most tools and sort through settings, but there's some problems. Forcing a login screen on me was annoying, as it was with 8.1. /g/ was also pretty unhappy about some.. Interesting choices Microsoft made, but that's /g/.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 08:54:47 PM »
Running on a spare workstation at the office, Core i5/12GB RAM/256GB SSD. It's running really well so far. Much cleaner and better than 8.1, but that isn't really saying much. 8/8.1 is literally worse than Vista.

Thork

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 08:58:02 PM »
Have windows 10. Edge seems ok but some extensions would be nice .... like an adblocker.

I'm sure I'll get used to the changes.

Having trouble autohiding my task bar and I did get a lost .dll warning, but hopefully I don't need that .dll anymore. :-/

Thork

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 08:59:45 PM »
Oh, it has bust this site. I can't select smileys. I have to manually type them. :'(

In fact all the bold underline etc can't be selected now.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 09:18:57 PM »
Well, I suppose that's what happens when you use the sequel to IE

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2015, 11:26:48 PM »
Have windows 10. Edge seems ok but some extensions would be nice .... like an adblocker.

I'm sure I'll get used to the changes.

Having trouble autohiding my task bar and I did get a lost .dll warning, but hopefully I don't need that .dll anymore. :-/

>using edge

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2015, 04:05:27 AM »
Very happy with Windows 10 so far. I've only been using it for a couple hours now, but I haven't had any problems and it seems to run better than 8.1 was. Plus damn Cortana is a nice implementation. I've been loving Google Now on my phone, so being able to have a (slightly worse) version for my computer is nice. I just wish they'd allow Cortana to integrate with Firefox/Chrome as well as she does Edge (which is a step up from IE, but still not very good). I just wish she was half as good at contextual questions/commands as Google Now is. If I'm not super specific about some things, she'll just search what I said instead of figuring out what I meant like Google Now does.

But still, step up from Windows 8.1. I like the look, too.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2015, 06:38:00 AM »
I always wonder why people bother with Windows when I hear the number of complaints about every new version.

It's like getting home with a new Toyota and opening up the hood, only to find half the engine parts are stuck together with silly putty, the battery sometimes outputs current the wrong way around and one of the windscreen wipers doesn't work. The first thing you do is go to your computer and post angrily on the Internet about how terrible your new car is. Three years later, you need another car, and you go back to the exact same dealership and buy another one.

Why?

Because software tends to improve the longer it's been out and the more it's been debugged. Windows usually ends up relatively stable after patches. This is something people are accustomed to, so they keep downloading Windows knowing it will eventually have the bugs worked out. You can't hotfix or patch a car with broken physical parts, so that's a really bad analogy.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2015, 07:00:43 AM »
You can't hotfix or patch a car with broken physical parts, so that's a really bad analogy.

Mechanics literally don't exist.

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2015, 07:53:38 AM »
I always wonder why people bother with Windows when I hear the number of complaints about every new version.

It's like getting home with a new Toyota and opening up the hood, only to find half the engine parts are stuck together with silly putty, the battery sometimes outputs current the wrong way around and one of the windscreen wipers doesn't work. The first thing you do is go to your computer and post angrily on the Internet about how terrible your new car is. Three years later, you need another car, and you go back to the exact same dealership and buy another one.

Why?

Because software tends to improve the longer it's been out and the more it's been debugged. Windows usually ends up relatively stable after patches. This is something people are accustomed to, so they keep downloading Windows knowing it will eventually have the bugs worked out. You can't hotfix or patch a car with broken physical parts, so that's a really bad analogy.

You can, it just typically involves a recall. Happens all the time.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2015, 07:56:48 AM »
What's Edge?
The Mastery.

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2015, 09:15:01 AM »
Renamed IE.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2015, 09:49:42 AM »
You can't hotfix or patch a car with broken physical parts, so that's a really bad analogy.

Mechanics literally don't exist.

Your analogy just keeps getting worse and worse.