Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
You can go to jail for trolling!
« on: November 11, 2014, 04:38:18 PM »
Thork, why don't you tell us about how you can be arrested for saying mean things on the internet as a citizen of the UK.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: You can go to jail for trolling!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 04:39:53 PM »
American's lol

Thork

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 04:44:06 PM »
Thork, why don't you tell us about how you can be arrested for saying mean things on the internet as a citizen of the UK.
Fuck you faggot. >:(

So arrest me.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 04:54:28 PM »
Everything I'm seeing on the Internet suggests that Freedom Tower was its old name, not its current one.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 04:57:26 PM »

So arrest me.

I've alerted the constabulary.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 05:00:01 PM »

So arrest me.

Still the upper. Take it downstairs. Warned.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 05:06:30 PM »
Everything I'm seeing on the Internet suggests that Freedom Tower was its old name, not its current one.

Thork is wrong again. Lets all act surprised and appalled.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 09:22:25 PM »
Yes, it's a theoretical possibility with legal provisions in the UK. Meanwhile, in America, you not only can but do get jailed for trolling for 8 years.

America: leading the way :^)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:24:02 PM by pizaaplanet »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 09:28:32 PM »
Being sarcastic is not the same as trolling. 

Ghost of V

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 09:38:55 PM »
Yes, it's a theoretical possibility with legal provisions in the UK. Meanwhile, in America, you not only can but do get jailed for trolling for 8 years.

This is my first time hearing about this. We have to get this kid out of jail.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:17:31 PM by Vauxhall »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »

He wasn't jailed for trolling; he was jailed for making threats.  This is definitely an example of very poor discretion and a bizarre lack of common sense, but I don't really think it's comparable to cases like this or this.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 04:40:04 AM »
He wasn't jailed for trolling; he was jailed for making threats.  This is definitely an example of very poor discretion and a bizarre lack of common sense, but I don't really think it's comparable to cases like this or this.
Honestly, the difference is superficial. All of these cases are largely the same - someone said something on the Internet, liberals got offended, and now innocent people are in jail.

If you're going to claim that the cases are different because the Texas kid said he's going to do something, then you're obviously trolling and I'll be reporting you to the FBI. Referring to this as making threats is just as dumb as calling Stacey's actions to be inciting racial hatred - it's a poor attempt at rationalising jailing people for saying no-no boo-boo mean things.

The only real difference is the severity of the punishment. UK: 2-3 months. USA: 8 years.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 04:45:03 AM by pizaaplanet »

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 06:26:55 AM »
How are the Americans going to keep such a healthy prison population if they don't jail people for trivial offences? It's a challenge having the most prisoners in the world.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 02:20:52 PM »
Honestly, the difference is superficial. All of these cases are largely the same - someone said something on the Internet, liberals got offended, and now innocent people are in jail.

If you're going to claim that the cases are different because the Texas kid said he's going to do something, then you're obviously trolling and I'll be reporting you to the FBI. Referring to this as making threats is just as dumb as calling Stacey's actions to be inciting racial hatred - it's a poor attempt at rationalising jailing people for saying no-no boo-boo mean things.

The only real difference is the severity of the punishment. UK: 2-3 months. USA: 8 years.

He was never sentenced to 8 years, you've fallen victim to "maximum sentence ehrmagawd" clickbait.

And yes, making threats is quite a bit different from trolling. There is quite a bit of difference between making offensive statements and threatening harm to someone. I'm not sure what to say if you don't think there is.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 02:24:58 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 04:16:30 PM »
He was never sentenced to 8 years, you've fallen victim to "maximum sentence ehrmagawd" clickbait.
Virtually every news site I could find says he did. Could you provide a reference to the contrary?

Also, he's only not in jail right now because he paid his $500,000 bail. Given that he's still not cleared of his charges, and that he'd never make it out if not for an anonymous donation, we can agree that the number is at least 18 months, which is still at least 6 times the severity of punishment in the UK, and still warrants the posting of bald eagles and land-of-the-free propaganda.

And yes, making threats is quite a bit different from trolling.
Agreed. However, some trolling can look like making threats.

There is quite a bit of difference between making offensive statements and threatening harm to someone. I'm not sure what to say if you don't think there is.
You don't need to say anything - your strawman is already extremely transparent.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 04:23:42 PM by pizaaplanet »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »
Yes, that case is a terrible injustice. However, it is pretty unique. This sort of thing happens much more frequently in the UK.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 04:41:25 PM »
Yes, that case is a terrible injustice. However, it is pretty unique. This sort of thing happens much more frequently in the UK.
I really don't think it does. There are some isolated incidents in each country. It's just that they get a different media hype.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 05:32:32 PM »
Virtually every news site I could find says he did. Could you provide a reference to the contrary?

???  You already provided one, the Forbes article.  And you already know that he's currently out on bail, which would make zero sense if he had been convicted and sentenced.

If you're going to claim that the cases are different because the Texas kid said he's going to do something

Yes, that is the difference.  He was charged with making threats, while the people in the British cases were charged with trolling.  He should never have been charged with it, but that's not relevant to a discussion about stupid laws.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:17:11 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »

Why did you ask this when you answered this yourself? See below:

he's only not in jail right now because he paid his $500,000 bail.

Also, speaking of straw men, this is a pretty irrelevant factoid.

Agreed. However, some trolling can look like making threats.

Trolling never looks like threats. If you're straight up threatening people, that isn't (or at least shouldn't) be considered under the umbrella of what trolling is.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 10:37:50 PM »
And you already know that he's currently out on bail, which would make zero sense if he had been convicted and sentenced.
I edited my posts multiple times and forgot to edit that question out. It was a dumb question to ask once I had found out that he's out on bail.

If you're going to claim that the cases are different because the Texas kid said he's going to do something
Yes, that is the difference.  He was charged with making threats, while the people in the British cases were charged with trolling.  He should never have been charged with it, but that's not relevant to a discussion about stupid laws.
Sure, if you want to restrict the discussion to written laws only, then you're right. In my view, what happens in practice is much more important than what's written down on paper - I made this clear in my very first post on this subject, so if you tried arguing anything else, you simply weren't addressing my post.

Of course, the two should be one and the same, but they're not. The matter of fact is that people in the UK can land in jail for 3-ish months, while in America teenagers spend more than that being tormented by the legal system.

Also, it seems like the case you're making now is that America is less guilty here because they wrongly accuse people of things they haven't done ("oh, yeah, it's 8 years, but only because he was charged with a more severe crime despite having committed a very comparable offence!"). I'm frankly not sure how that could win you any points.

he's only not in jail right now because he paid his $500,000 bail.

Also, speaking of straw men, this is a pretty irrelevant factoid.
It's not irrelevant at all. I'm pointing out that America de facto fucks up innocent trolls much harder than the United Kingdom. Tormenting teenagers for years and demanding that they cough up half a million bucks if they'd like to stop being oppressed is a hilariously good example of this, hence my use of rainbow colours.

If you're straight up threatening people, that isn't (or at least shouldn't) be considered under the umbrella of what trolling is.
Agreed. Unfortunately, as was already pointed out to you, this is irrelevant, because he wasn't "straight up threatening people".
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:57:51 PM by pizaaplanet »