« Reply #400 on: April 01, 2016, 06:31:49 PM »
On the notion of IRC:

<Saddam> Affleck was good
<Snupes> Most of the actors were good.
<Saddam> But Eisenberg tho
<Saddam> terrible, just terrible
<Snupes> Eisenberg was good.
<Crudblud> More like Eisenberk
<Saddam> Look at me tee hee I'm so cuh-razy because the Joker is crazy and he's popular therefore I have to be too!
<Snupes> I can't tell if you honestly think any form of mental instability is equivalent to the Joker
<Snupes> It's like you're trying as hard as you possibly can to find some way to cram villains into a vague archetype
<Saddam> I don't, but I think the influence was the Joker
<Snupes> Luthor was hardly crazy at all in the movie, just gone over the edge by the end
<Snupes> Okay, I disagree completely
<Saddam> Because WB/DC really suck at doing anything but Batman
<Snupes> I saw very little to no Joker influence in him
<Snupes> He seemed more like, I don't know, Lex Luthor from the comics, just younger and more expressive
<Snupes> You know Luthor's even more maniacal in the comics right
<Saddam> Maybe in the ones where he was just a mad scientist
<Snupes> Hmm, no
<Snupes> Basically most of them. He's a bit more stoic at times, but his character and actions are essentially the same.
<Saddam> I thought you only read Marvel and Batman, anyway
<Snupes> No, Batman is just basically the only DC series I really like, along with Green Arrow.
<Snupes> I've read a good amount of the mainline stuff, like Superman and Batman and shit.
<Snupes> But get into the minutiae and vague stuff and I'm lost.
<Saddam> I'll admit that the Joker comparison was a stretch
<Saddam> But I felt that they really just played up his eccentricity at the expense of less superficial character development
<Snupes> The movie had almost no character development for anyone; I highly doubt the eccentricity took anything away

This still doesn't feel right to me.  I know this is going to sound like the vaguest appeal to authority ever made, but after doing some research online, I've found that virtually nobody seems to agree with what Snupes is saying about the comics version of the character and how he compares to Eisenberg's take.  Everyone from pop culture websites to the denizens of nerdy message boards agrees that Eisenberg's Luthor was influenced far more by traditionally wacky villains like the Joker and Eisenberg's previous roles than the Luthor from the comics.  Even the fact that Eisenberg was playing a junior version of Luthor was seized upon as an explanation for his lack of resemblance to comics Luthor.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/mar/23/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-comics-geek-review-ben-affleck

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SelfDemonstrating/LexLuthor

^ A couple of articles that seem to support this (the former reiterates that this Luthor is unfamiliar to him, while the latter presents his personality as far more serious).  Again, it's an appeal to authority, but I feel like there would be a lot more people defending Eisenberg's portrayal if it really was true to the comics.  That is to say, the "classic" comics that people want to see represented in film.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 02:57:41 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Rama Set

Re: First Look at Ben Affleck's Batman
« Reply #401 on: April 02, 2016, 05:00:17 AM »
My beef with Eisenberg is that he made a concerted effort to seem unhinged. He was aware of how antisocial he was and it made him giggle with delight. It was a poor stereotype and unfortunately the script did not help as his plots were generally not brilliant. I mean, why go through the batman v superman stuff when you are going to unleash Doomsday literally 1 minute after Superman pass/fails.

Fucking dumb.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #402 on: April 06, 2016, 01:42:02 PM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-mulls-releasing-films-881265

This pleases me.  BvS was supposed to be a gigantic Avengers-level hit, but it looks like it won't even reach a billion dollars.  I wish they would get rid of Snyder already, but sadly, it's probably too late to replace him for Justice League.  Also:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Batman-V-Superman-Might-Dethroned-By-Weekend-Contenders-122967.html

If this happens, I will laugh and laugh.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 08, 2016, 04:54:12 PM »

Several sources say Warner Bros. executives were convinced they had the goods with BvS and were shocked when negative reviews began pouring in.

lol

One says the filmmakers naturally will evaluate what went wrong with BvS, but when it comes to Justice League, "we're not going to take a movie that's supposed to be one thing and turn it into a copycat of something else."

lol.  They are so out of touch it's astounding.  This is essentially what they did when they turned Man of Steel into a clone of the Nolan Batman movies.

I will not be paying to see BvS in theaters.  I was so looking forward to the Justice League cycle of movies because I've always been more of a fan of DC than Marvel in the comics but my interest has fizzled out.  I shudder to think how my favorite character, the Flash, will be mishandled when it comes time for his movie to come out.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 08, 2016, 05:28:29 PM »
they turned Man of Steel into a clone of the Nolan Batman movies.
I don't remember a Batman movie with an alien invasion.
The Mastery.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 08, 2016, 05:38:32 PM »
they turned Man of Steel into a clone of the Nolan Batman movies.
I don't remember a Batman movie with an alien invasion.

That's nice.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #406 on: April 08, 2016, 07:53:33 PM »

This pleases me.  BvS was supposed to be a gigantic Avengers-level hit, but it looks like it won't even reach a billion dollars.  I wish they would get rid of Snyder already, but sadly, it's probably too late to replace him for Justice League.  Also:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Batman-V-Superman-Might-Dethroned-By-Weekend-Contenders-122967.html

If this happens, I will laugh and laugh.

The Boss looks terrible, just terrible.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #407 on: April 08, 2016, 11:35:32 PM »
On the notion of Wonder Woman:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/wonder-woman/news/a789888/wonder-woman-gal-gadot-movie-has-moments-humour/

It has moments of humour, but it's pretty dark.

Of course it is.  But then again, WWI was a pretty awful period of history, and it doesn't have the benefit of being glamorized in modern times like WWII, so maybe this is just natural.

We go back 100 years to when she's more naïve...She's this young idealist. She's pure. Very different to the experienced, super-confident, grown-up woman you've seen.

It's nice to know that there's room for a more positive hero even in a dark setting, but I don't like the apparent implication that idealism and purity go hand-in-hand with naïvity, particularly when we take into consideration the previous articles indicating that Wonder Woman in modern times is a brooding grump like everyone else.  Is becoming bitter and cynical this franchise's only idea of character development?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Batman-V-Superman-Reportedly-Make-Less-Money-Than-Man-Steel-123717.html

:D :D :D

As for The Flash, his movie is being written and directed by Seth Grahame-Smith, the author of mash-up novels Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.  He hasn't directed anything before, but he did write the screenplays of the former's film adaptation and Dark Shadows, both critical flops.  Truly, Barry Allen is in good hands.  He's also writing The LEGO Batman Movie, because with his qualifications and experience, why the hell wouldn't he be?  Oh, and another thing about Wonder Woman - her movie was written by Jason Fuchs, only thirty years old, and with two screenplays to his name, Pan and Ice Age: Continental Drift.  Both critical flops, once again.  Real cream-of-the-crop talent.

But, you know, Hollywood is a strict meritocracy where everyone gets exactly what they deserve according to their talent, and the notion that some people there are unduly privileged and get all sorts of opportunities thrown at them while others are unfairly locked out of even getting a fair shot is complete nonsense.  Anyone who says otherwise is the real racist.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 02:11:24 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #408 on: April 11, 2016, 03:28:13 PM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36013563

It happened.  BvS took second place at the box office to a shitty comedy in only the third weekend since its release.  Also, another Suicide Squad trailer:

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 11, 2016, 04:22:00 PM »
Not impressed with Suicide Squad.

If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 11, 2016, 05:39:19 PM »
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #411 on: April 14, 2016, 01:25:57 AM »
I don't want to get my hopes up after BvS, but...maybe it'll be better?  Hopefully?  I mean, it looks fun, it looks lively, and it'll be the first time we've seen some of the characters in a movie.  Also, Jared Leto is a huge douchebag:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/13/suicide-squad-jared-leto-will-smith-anal-beads-used-condoms

What the fuck does any of this have to do with acting?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 14, 2016, 01:21:44 PM »
There’s a famous (and probably fictitious) anecdote about the filming of Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier’s Marathon Man: Hoffman—a noted method actor—supposedly ran himself ragged for days before one of the movie’s big scenes, avoiding sleep and pushing his body to the limits to best capture his character’s on-the-run desperation. When he got to set, he explained his preparations to his co-star, who pithily responded with the sort of advice that only a classically trained, Oscar-winning Shakespearean actor could, telling the younger actor, “Don’t be in a big-budget supervillain movie with Jared Leto, because he sounds like a prick.”
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 15, 2016, 08:26:11 PM »
A standalone Batman movie starring and directed by Ben Affleck is officially in the works, Warner Bros. chief Kevin Tsujihara confirmed Tuesday at CinemaCon.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 15, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »
I don't want to get my hopes up after BvS, but...maybe it'll be better?  Hopefully?  I mean, it looks fun, it looks lively, and it'll be the first time we've seen some of the characters in a movie.  Also, Jared Leto is a huge douchebag:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/13/suicide-squad-jared-leto-will-smith-anal-beads-used-condoms

What the fuck does any of this have to do with acting?

Without looking at the article, I interpret the title (as derived from the URL) thus: "Jared Leto will smith anal beads and used condoms."

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 16, 2016, 02:14:38 AM »
He will.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #416 on: April 17, 2016, 04:29:41 AM »

Rama Set

« Reply #417 on: April 17, 2016, 02:43:06 PM »
Objection! Relevance?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #418 on: April 19, 2016, 04:39:44 PM »
<Snupezaretto> [on the subject of a new Batman film] Maybe all of BvS will have been a Scarecrow-induced dream
<Snupezaretto> Or all of the DCCU up until then
<Saddam> Batman's worst fear is not just that he became the monster he swore he never would become, but that he didn't even realize it, and just thought he was an edgy anti-hero
<Snupezaretto> Yes
<Snupezaretto> Also that Gotham and Metropolis became neighbouring cities
<Saddam> That doesn't make sense in so many different ways
<Snupezaretto> Like you said, it was such a bizarre creative choice
<Saddam> why even bother having two different cities if they're just going to be right next to each other
<Snupezaretto> The reveal was more like a punchline in some Zucker bros comedy. "We're gonna have to go to Gotham", pan over to reveal it's two feet to their left
<Saddam> and how could they be so different if they're right next to each other
<Saddam> They would have swallowed each other up by now
<Saddam> The only thing I can think of is that there could be a state line between them
<Saddam> Like Minneapolis and St. Paul
<Saddam> But even then you'd expect people to think of them as one metropolitan area
<Saddam> Metropolis-Gotham
<Saddam> beardo: Even you have to admit that this was kind of dumb
<Snupezaretto> Metrotham
<Snupezaretto> Gothopolis
<Snupezaretto> I like that one
<Snupezaretto> It perfectly captures the feel of the film
<Snupezaretto> Gothopolis, home of the brooding and dark
<Snupezaretto> The DAMAGED, as Leto's Joker would say and then tattoo on everyone's forehead

http://io9.gizmodo.com/robin-was-also-a-killer-in-zack-snyders-dc-cinematic-mu-1771781312

Robin with a halberd.  Why?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 19, 2016, 04:45:50 PM »
To be fair. Gotham and Metropolis have been depicted as neighbouring cities in DC comics as well.
The Mastery.