Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: First Look at Ben Affleck's Batman
« Reply #360 on: January 29, 2016, 07:32:47 AM »
Arrow is on Hulu.  Paid hulu, but hulu.
Though it might be on the cw's website too.

When I checked, Hulu only had the first three episodes, then it skipped to the Legends crossover, then the most recent episode (well, the tenth episode, there's been another since then).  And I do have paid Hulu.

I may check the CW's website, but I can't get that on my TV and I'd much rather watch it there than on my computer.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 29, 2016, 08:39:37 AM »
Arrow is on Hulu.  Paid hulu, but hulu.
Though it might be on the cw's website too.

When I checked, Hulu only had the first three episodes, then it skipped to the Legends crossover, then the most recent episode (well, the tenth episode, there's been another since then).  And I do have paid Hulu.

I may check the CW's website, but I can't get that on my TV and I'd much rather watch it there than on my computer.

Yeah I see that.  Eeewww.

If you have chromecast you can cast a chrome browser tab to your tv.
The cw app doesn't appear to have chromecast ability though.
But if your phone supports miracast, you can cast from it to a chromecast.  Phone will be on and unusable during the time though.(cause miracast is a mirror cast)

Might be other options depending on what your tv model is.

If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #362 on: January 29, 2016, 03:26:21 PM »
You could also just stream or torrent the episodes for free.  I would feel guilty about not supporting shows I like if not for the ridiculous Nielsen system of measuring viewers that only allows the tiny fraction of people with those special boxes to have any say in the matter.  Seriously, that system is bullshit.  They've given the boxes to a disproportionate number of NCIS and American Idol fans, and now they think that those viewers represent the entire country.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 29, 2016, 04:02:58 PM »
You could also just stream or torrent the episodes for free.  I would feel guilty about not supporting shows I like if not for the ridiculous Nielsen system of measuring viewers that only allows the tiny fraction of people with those special boxes to have any say in the matter.  Seriously, that system is bullshit.  They've given the boxes to a disproportionate number of NCIS and American Idol fans, and now they think that those viewers represent the entire country.

The sad part is, you could get all the data you want from cable subscribers with just an addition to the terms of use and a firmware upgrade.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 29, 2016, 04:33:34 PM »
Maybe it was the overall dark tone of the first one but I didn't get that impression from it at all.
So then he saved the world when people feared him his whole life because he was wrought with emotion, sadness, and bitterness?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 31, 2016, 04:50:21 AM »
Dark and brooding is fine as long as it fits the character.  It does not fit Superman.
How can Superman be dark and brooding when his family crest literally means hope?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 31, 2016, 05:35:04 AM »
Dark and brooding is fine as long as it fits the character.  It does not fit Superman.
How can Superman be dark and brooding when his family crest literally means hope?

How is this question not a total non sequitur?
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #367 on: January 31, 2016, 05:40:13 AM »
Maybe it was the overall dark tone of the first one but I didn't get that impression from it at all.
So then he saved the world when people feared him his whole life because he was wrought with emotion, sadness, and bitterness?

No, he saved the world despite being wrought with emotion, sadness, and bitterness.  It's a pretty standard arc for a classical anti-hero.

Rama Set

« Reply #368 on: February 01, 2016, 03:58:53 AM »
being wrought with emotion, sadness, and bitterness.

Never saw those portrayed.

He had doubt about being able to trust humans, he had fear if he was capable of saving everyone, at least until he spoke with his father on the Kryptonian ship. 

Were we watching the same movie? 

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 01, 2016, 01:34:28 PM »
It's a pretty standard arc for a classical anti-hero.
>Superman
>anti-hero

what

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #370 on: February 05, 2016, 04:59:24 AM »
A classical anti-hero, meaning that a significant part of his arc was his struggle with his own fears and weaknesses (for lack of a better word).  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but like I said, it's realized in such a familiar and predictable way that it doesn't feel much like a story about Superman at all.

As for the TV shows, Arrow is great.  It's not a popular opinion, but I actually think the first season of it was my favorite, possibly because of it being grittier and more realistic.  The dark tone felt less effective when later seasons added more fantastical elements to the show.  Also, I wish they would come up with a different seasonal arc to the villain trying to destroy the city.  The Flash is also great, and its eschewing of darkness in favor of Silver Age wackiness has been to its benefit, although my one big criticism is that the romantic subplots keep repeating the same tired, predictable, and painful-to-watch tropes about how Barry can't tell his love interest that he's the Flash because that'll put her in danger even though she's already been put in danger many times and now his relationship with her is suffering because he has to make excuses and run off at inopportune times, blah blah blah.

Constantine I watched when I heard that Matt Ryan was going to guest-star in an episode of Arrow, apparently linking their continuities together.  I'm not sure if that really did end up making all the events of that show canon within the Arrowverse/Flarrowverse/whatever, or if it was just Ryan's take on the character.  Probably the latter, but I wouldn't blame the CW too much for that, as Ryan's performance was easily the best part of Constantine, which was in all other respects just okay.  Supergirl I've only seen the pilot of, and I suppose I'll have to watch it all now that it's crossing over with The Flash.  I haven't seen Lucifer at all, but frankly, that show just looks terrible.

And then there's Gotham, which isn't a bad show so much as it is completely fucking nuts.  The people behind this don't seem to have any idea what kind of show this is trying to be, and apparently keep trying to re-invent it entirely every few episodes.  Or maybe they all just disagree on what the tone should be.  In one episode they'll be trying to keep it grounded and gritty like the Nolan films, in another they'll be wanting to base it on the Burton films, in other episodes it goes for camp so goofy that it feels like a tribute to the 60s show, and then there are some episodes that I can only assume were inspired by the Frank Miller comics the writers were using to snort lines of cocaine.  This scene, for example:

What the fuck is this shit?

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 05, 2016, 08:09:51 AM »
As for the TV shows, Arrow is great.  It's not a popular opinion, but I actually think the first season of it was my favorite, possibly because of it being grittier and more realistic.  The dark tone felt less effective when later seasons added more fantastical elements to the show.  Also, I wish they would come up with a different seasonal arc to the villain trying to destroy the city.

I loved the first season.  The first season finale is easily the show's finest moment, and even looking back I think one of the best hours of TV ever (helping to cement my opinion that this is the best show currently on TV, even if it doesn't always reach those highs anymore).  I think the second season was the best because Manu Bennett as Slade was the perfect villain; his murdering of Moira felt both shocking and inevitable at the time it happened, which is quite a feat to pull off; on the whole, Slade's thirst for vengeance was terrifying, and Bennett played the part perfectly.  The third season was just too busy (and I echo your opinion that the show loses something the more supernatural it gets, although I think it's still pretty fantastic).  It was still good, some of it great, but it didn't reach the levels that were reached in the first two seasons.  My biggest criticism of the show as a whole is probably the same as yours; they lean too heavily on the entire city being at risk to hang the season on.  I think it might be because that first season finale was so fucking incredible that they keep trying to top themselves, but by now they should probably give it a rest.  It did lead to one of my favorite lines in the series - Detective Lance in the season 3 finale saying "City's under attack, must be May" or something to that effect.

The Flash is also great, and its eschewing of darkness in favor of Silver Age wackiness has been to its benefit, although my one big criticism is that the romantic subplots keep repeating the same tired, predictable, and painful-to-watch tropes about how Barry can't tell his love interest that he's the Flash because that'll put her in danger even though she's already been put in danger many times and now his relationship with her is suffering because he has to make excuses and run off at inopportune times, blah blah blah.

My biggest problem with the first season was that it took Iris so long to catch on.  Or was she told?  I can't remember exactly.  At any rate, she's a reporter.  There was a point where it seemed like everybody but Iris knew that Barry was the Flash, which kind of just makes her look stupid (of course the exact same criticism can be leveled at Laurel on Arrow... who's a lawyer; but really the less said about Laurel's character the better).  My other criticism of the show is that some of the time travel elements just don't make sense if you stop to think about them.  But it's goofy fun, the TV equivalent of a popcorn movie, so I'm willing to let some of its more glaring flaws slide.  Mark Hamill playing The Trickster, basically using his Joker voice from the Batman animated series, was such a hoot.

Constantine I watched when I heard that Matt Ryan was going to guest-star in an episode of Arrow, apparently linking their continuities together.  I'm not sure if that really did end up making all the events of that show canon within the Arrowverse/Flarrowverse/whatever, or if it was just Ryan's take on the character.  Probably the latter, but I wouldn't blame the CW too much for that, as Ryan's performance was easily the best part of Constantine, which was in all other respects just okay.

I still have to watch Constantine.  I saw the pilot and I guess it just didn't impress me much, because even though I've been a fan of the comics for a long time I just never made it a point to watch it or get caught up on it.   

I haven't seen Lucifer at all, but frankly, that show just looks terrible.

I watched the pilot.  The guy playing Lucifer (Tom Ellis) seems to be having a lot of fun with it.  The fact that it's basically a police procedural featuring Satan in the main role feels like a bad joke.  I'd like to think they'll break out of that mold and go for something deeper but I don't have much faith in that happening.  I never read Mike Carey's comic but I always loved Neil Gaiman's take on the character in Sandman.  I enjoyed the show despite the fact that its premise is so dumb, probably because of Tom Ellis' performance more than anything else.

And then there's Gotham, which isn't a bad show so much as it is completely fucking nuts.  The people behind this don't seem to have any idea what kind of show this is trying to be, and apparently keep trying to re-invent it entirely every few episodes.  Or maybe they all just disagree on what the tone should be.  In one episode they'll be trying to keep it grounded and gritty like the Nolan films, in another they'll be wanting to base it on the Burton films, in other episodes it goes for camp so goofy that it feels like a tribute to the 60s show, and then there are some episodes that I can only assume were inspired by the Frank Miller comics the writers were using to snort lines of cocaine.

I know it's a common criticism that Gotham often feels like it doesn't know what kind of show it wants to be.  I don't think its lack of consistency is quite as bad as you make it out to be; even at its campiest there's a strain of darkness that puts it above the level of the old TV show, and on the flip side of the coin, even at their darkest the comics still retain some elements of camp; with a Rogues Gallery that includes characters like The Ventriloquist, The Riddler and even The Joker I think that's inevitable.  So I don't mind it having a presence on the show and I think it's at least consistent with the comics.

Sometimes the writing is just awful.  That whole Jerome subplot was silly and cliched to the point that they were making it so obvious that he was meant to be the Joker that I saw it coming from a mile away that he wasn't going to end up being the Joker.  I hate to say "This is how I would have done it..." but hell, this is how I would have done it: I think it would have been interesting if they had introduced a series of characters who each in their own way share traits of the Joker, so that we never really know which one it ends up being (it would have been a nice tribute to the multiple-choice nature of his origin in the comics).  But they fucked that up when they made it so obvious that he was Joker, and then fucked it up worse when they killed that goofy motherfucker off, and the show was still the better for the latter, because he was terrible.

I guess it's mostly the performances that keep me going back, particularly Robin Taylor as Penguin, Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock, and Sean Pertwee as Alfred.  The rest of the cast is fine for the most part (and I will never get tired of seeing Morena Baccarin, even if her character is a bit thin), but I really can't stand the kid that plays Bruce.  I don't know; maybe it's just too understated to the point of being boring.  But somehow one of the most interesting and complex characters in comics becomes trite and one-note in that performance; too much the mask that is Bruce and not enough the actual character that is Batman, if you follow.  I also don't miss Fish Mooney.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 05, 2016, 12:23:52 PM »
The guy playing Lucifer (Tom Ellis) seems to be having a lot of fun with it.  The fact that it's basically a police procedural featuring Satan in the main role feels like a bad joke.  I'd like to think they'll break out of that mold and go for something deeper but I don't have much faith in that happening.  I never read Mike Carey's comic but I always loved Neil Gaiman's take on the character in Sandman.  I enjoyed the show despite the fact that its premise is so dumb, probably because of Tom Ellis' performance more than anything else.
Basically this.
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 05, 2016, 04:49:58 PM »
Hmm, does this have to turn into a thread about all capeshit?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #374 on: February 11, 2016, 05:10:45 PM »
Hmm, does this have to turn into a thread about all capeshit?

This became a thread about all capeshit long ago.  Hush.  Also:

This is the kind of trailer they should have been using from the start.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #375 on: February 29, 2016, 08:41:01 PM »

But Superman has X-ray vision. ???  Maybe this is some special kind of Bat-smoke that he can't see through?

Rama Set

« Reply #376 on: February 29, 2016, 08:49:59 PM »

But Superman has X-ray vision. ???  Maybe this is some special kind of Bat-smoke that he can't see through?

Its an active ability though.  He appears not to be using it, because he maybe thought, "Whatever, I got this.  I am going to zip through the smoke and... wtf, where is that bitch?"

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #377 on: March 06, 2016, 01:08:20 AM »
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/03/batman-v-superman-dawn-justice-green-lantern-dc-movie-universe

So the Flash's appearance is basically just a cameo, and there won't be any Green Lantern, contrary to the dozens of rumors saying that so-and-so will be playing Hal Jordan or whomever.  I know this sounds strange, but I'm looking forward to finding out whether the movie is good or bad almost as much as I am to actually watching it.  Everyone will be talking about how DC either managed to beat Marvel forever or lost to Marvel forever.  Neither of those would be true no matter how the film ends up, but they'll be saying it anyway.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #378 on: March 22, 2016, 01:21:13 PM »

e

I suppose this will be our last look at it until it comes out.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 22, 2016, 01:44:36 PM »
ratedpgthirteen
The Mastery.