« Reply #1060 on: September 20, 2022, 09:35:39 AM »
Let them crash and burn.
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #1062 on: November 11, 2022, 06:04:58 PM »
It wasn't just Batman when Conroy was doing the voice, it was Bestman.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: November 11, 2022, 06:17:23 PM »
Objectively the finest performance of Batman the world has ever seen. He was vengeance, he was the night, he was Batman.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: November 11, 2022, 08:45:39 PM »
BTAS was a staple of my childhood. Rip

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: November 26, 2022, 07:46:02 PM »
I watched Black Adam, thanks to Rama pointing me in the right direction for it. I more or less agree with Roundy's take on it, but skewing a bit more negative overall. I think what really killed this movie for me is just how thin as a character Black Adam is. He doesn't have much of a personality under his spiky one-liners, and the movie's repeated insistence that he's especially edgy because he kills rings false. This franchise has already been firmly established as one in which capeshitters kill, and they kill quite a lot. Even Superman and Batman are killers. Black Adam also killing people comes across as business as usual, not as the act of a brave and edgy freethinker bucking the conventional wisdom.

Another point that jumped out at me is how fumbled the film's attempt at political commentary is. Kahndaq is a Middle Eastern country that has been invaded and exploited many times over the years, and is currently under foreign occupation. Seems like this is going somewhere interesting. The current batch of invaders are a group called Intergang, and no description of who they are or explanation for their presence is ever offered. And just like that, any impact this subplot may have had goes down the fucking toilet. You can't do that! You can't take a setup like that and then end up pointing the finger of blame at fucking Team Rocket! Needless to say, these guys are nothing like the Intergang from the source material, so why give them such a ridiculous, capeshitty name? If this movie wasn't prepared to offer any serious political commentary on the treatment of real-world countries like Kahndaq, then it shouldn't have acted like it was going to "go there," so to speak, to begin with.

Now, of course a movie like this isn't going to be portraying Black Adam killing American soldiers or anything like that, but I can still come up with a better premise than the one we got. Say that Kahndaq is currently occupied by a corrupt and authoritarian private military company - one with a proper name, not "Bad Guys Inc." When Black Adam starts killing them, Amanda Waller and the JSA could get involved when it turns out that this PMC has been placed in charge of Kahndaq by the U.S. government as part of an overall plan to maintain order in the Middle East. The JSA travel to Kahndaq to stop Adam, not simply because he kills people, but because he's threatening the political stability of the entire region, at least in the eyes of the U.S. government. But of course, Adam doesn't care about political instability; he only cares about Kahndaq. See? Isn't my idea so, so much better? Now Adam is genuinely edgy and controversial, now the JSA actually have a believable reason to come to blows with him, and now there's political commentary that actually means something and might leave some of the audience thinking about it after the movie is over.

In short, the movie is mediocre overall, but it never drags, and there's nothing especially offensive or obnoxious about it, so I can't really bring myself to dislike it too much. Oh, and Pierce Brosnan is great as Doctor Fate, and brings dignity and gravitas to every scene he's in.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 03:29:14 PM by honk »

Rama Set

« Reply #1066 on: November 26, 2022, 11:24:08 PM »
I really like Pierce Brosnan and it’s too bad this will be the only time we get him in this role. I liked Hawkman too. Dwayne Johnson is a good actor in the right role and this wasn’t it. He wasn’t bad or anything but just kind of did what he needed. For pure spectacle, I do want to see Black Adam and Superman throw down.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: December 12, 2022, 03:50:04 AM »
More news regarding the DCEU! The biggest takeaway is that the last of the "Snyderverse" actors - Gadot, Momoa, and Cavill - are probably on their way out. And this coming right on the heels of Dwayne Johnson making such a big deal about Cavill finally coming back as Superman, and even putting him in his movie! I'm convinced, by the way, that Cavill quit The Witcher not because he didn't like the deviations from the source material (a theory that most fans seem to be taking for granted), but because he wanted to clear his schedule to play Superman again. If I'm right, then the poor guy got well and truly shafted on this. As for Black Adam probably not getting a sequel, I can't say I'm particularly disappointed. It wasn't a great movie, and there's no reason to suppose a sequel would have dramatically improved upon it.

It's worth pointing out that James Gunn responded to this article on Twitter and tried to vaguely cast doubt over it as a whole. It's a PR-savvy response, but I wouldn't take it as anything more than damage control on his part. THR isn't a clickbait gossip rag. Their scoops usually turn out to be dead on, and I'd be willing to bet that this one is no different, although it's of course possible that WBD will change their minds about any of these franchises. You can see why Gunn felt the need to publicly dispute this article at least in part by glancing at his replies and the army of devoted Snyder fans angrily demanding more Snyderverse movies. For fuck's sake, these guys are clamoring for more Batfleck, of all things!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 05:52:18 AM by honk »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 12, 2022, 04:14:19 PM »
maybe we can finally get the batgirl movie everyone wants

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 12, 2022, 06:09:06 PM »
I really hope they just start over from scratch, pretend the Snyderverse never happened, it's been a trainwreck from the beginning. I've always been more of a DC fan whetit comes to the comics and I'd like to see a vision for them that's actually true to the comics. Snyder's vision wasn't.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: December 13, 2022, 04:19:17 AM »
I don't care if they start over, but I want Henry and Batfleck. Also, Jason is much more fitting as Lobo.
The Mastery.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: December 14, 2022, 06:02:10 AM »
Batfleck

Never say never, I guess, but Batfleck making a comeback looks extraordinarily unlikely. Affleck has spoken numerous times over the past couple of years about how miserable and stressed he felt during that part of his life, leading to him putting on weight and relapsing into his old drinking problem. Since leaving the cowl behind, he's cleaned himself up, gotten his career onto a track that he seems to be more satisfied with, and even reunited with and finally married Jennifer Lopez. He's clearly far happier and more fulfilled now, and I can't imagine why he'd suddenly want to put himself back into the stressful position that caused all his recent problems.

Also, Jason is much more fitting as Lobo.

Agreed. Momoa's usual laid-back swagger would be a perfect fit for Lobo.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: December 15, 2022, 02:15:59 AM »
https://screenrant.com/dcu-superman-henry-cavill-out-not-returning/
shit

If Eon Productions don't call him right fucking now, they're fucking morons.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 02:23:44 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: December 16, 2022, 04:39:46 PM »
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is the best MCU film by quite some margin.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: December 18, 2022, 01:18:27 AM »
More drama!

Cavill also shot a cameo in The Flash, one of four DC movies set to release in 2023, but sources say that cameo, along with that of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, is now being cut given that the studio chose to not go forward with director Patty Jenkins’ version of Wonder Woman 3.

Safe to say that Gal Gadot is out as Diana, then.

Cavill found himself in a confluence of different headwinds at the studio. Dwayne Johnson pushed for his return via the much-hyped cameo in Black Adam and a potential linchpin for Johnson’s own DC universe franchise. But Black Adam has grossed $389 million worldwide, its soft performance calling into question Johnson’s much-touted plans for a sequel and an eventual Adam vs. Superman movie even before Gunn’s decision.

“In the end, he was a pawn in Dwayne’s failed attempt to control a piece of DC,” one insider observers.

Heh. I feel bad for Cavill getting jerked around by the studio like this, but I can't really say the same for Dwayne Johnson. I think he could do with having his ego deflated a little. Oh, and like the article says at the end, Cavill has a new gig already lined up, so I guess he's landing on his feet.

In related news, Gunn said on Twitter that Batman will be a big part of the universe going forward, not something just reserved to the Reeves movies. I've talked before about how I think that audiences could easily accept two different versions of Batman simultaneously appearing in separate continuities before, but I didn't think the studio would be confident enough to actually let it happen. Assuming that we won't be seeing Batfleck again outside of his supporting roles in The Flash and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, that must mean they'll be recasting the Dark Knight once again. And then what? Will the DCEU Batman only appear in team-ups, or could he get his own movie? Of course I'd be delighted if he did, but I don't know how far WBD wants to push the Batman brand, so to speak. Just imagine, two separate Batmen in their own concurrent film series. Truly a Batman fan's dream come true.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: December 18, 2022, 02:54:14 PM »
The behind the scenes saga of the DC Cinematic Universe has been far more entertaining than the movies themselves.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: December 19, 2022, 09:41:07 AM »
inb4they cast some foppish pansy like Timothée Chalamet as the next "Superman"
The Mastery.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: December 20, 2022, 12:36:11 AM »
Well, Nicolas Cage was cast as Superman.  Mercifully, the project died, but it was a close call.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: December 20, 2022, 03:41:45 AM »
Well, Nicolas Cage was cast as Superman.  Mercifully, the project died, but it was a close call.

Yeah, there was a reason the Superman franchise floundered for so long. A lot of misguided ideas during that period.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: December 24, 2022, 11:52:07 PM »
inb4they cast some foppish pansy like Timothée Chalamet as the next "Superman"

Nonsense, Chalamet will be playing the next DCEU Batman. Also, Dwayne Johnson commented on the DCEU shakeup a few days ago. While he seems to leave it open to possibility that we might be seeing his Black Adam in the future, I personally doubt it. Johnson clearly wanted to be the top banana of the DCEU, to the degree that he was already planning a Black Adam vs. Superman movie, and it's very unlikely that he'll want to come back in a supporting role after years of effectively being shelved.