Re: Show me proof of a flat earth.
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2014, 03:52:29 PM »
I used the Pythagorean Theorem (a^2 + b^2 = c^2) to calculate the drop over 4.4 miles.

Suppose that the earth is a sphere of radius 3963.1676 miles. If you are at a point P on the earth's surface and move tangent to the surface a distance of 1 mile then you can form a right angled triangel as in the diagram.

3963.1676^2 + 4.4^2 = 15706716.7857

When we square root that figure we get 3963.17004249

Thus your position is 3963.17004249 - 3963.1676 = 0.00244248999 miles above the surface of the earth

Converting to feet, 0.00244248999 miles = 5280 * 0.00244259 = 12.8963471472 feet

Hence after 4.4 miles the earth drops approximately 12.9 feet, or over 1 story of a building.

Tom, please don't post other people's work as your own.

http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/qq/database/QQ.09.97/dyck2.html

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2014, 05:03:50 PM »
Did you miss math class or something?
Please, argue against the argument, not the person. Ad hominems are not welcome here.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2014, 05:06:29 PM »
Did you miss math class or something?
Please, argue against the argument, not the person. Ad hominems are not welcome here.

It was an apt question. He seems to not want to understand my arguments or he is incapable. I can't possibly make this whole thing easier to understand and he still doesn't get it, so the conclusion logically follows.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »
You have to think of the total distance, don't divide it up to 2 different distances. If you do divide it, you will get the wrong answer.
Incorrect.  You must divide the total distance into two different distances to get the correct answer.  First there is the distance from the observer to the horizon, then there is the distance from the horizon to the house.
Marrrrkjo. That how to get the wrong answer.
That is why the drop over 3 miles is 6' = 72".              Correct
 Not a drop of 1 mile(8") +(8") + (8") = 24"                Incorrect
Are you saying that the distance to the horizon does not depend on the observer's elevation?  Or are you saying that the "wall of water" in the picture is not the horizon viewed from a low elevation?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Rama Set

« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »
You have to think of the total distance, don't divide it up to 2 different distances. If you do divide it, you will get the wrong answer.
Incorrect.  You must divide the total distance into two different distances to get the correct answer.  First there is the distance from the observer to the horizon, then there is the distance from the horizon to the house.
Marrrrkjo. That how to get the wrong answer.
That is why the drop over 3 miles is 6' = 72".              Correct
 Not a drop of 1 mile(8") +(8") + (8") = 24"                Incorrect

That is not the method that is being put forth. You must break up the distance in to two segments:

1st-The distance from the observer to the horizon. There is no curve obstructing the object.
2nd-The distance from the horizon to the object. This is the only length of curve that is obscuring the object.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2014, 08:24:40 PM »
I can't possibly make this whole thing easier to understand and he still doesn't get it, so the conclusion logically follows.
An ad hominem that logically follows (at least in your view - I'm not gonna waste my time discussing that) is still an ad hominem, and it still does not contribute to the conversation. Just don't be that guy.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2014, 08:44:59 PM »
I can't possibly make this whole thing easier to understand and he still doesn't get it, so the conclusion logically follows.
An ad hominem that logically follows (at least in your view - I'm not gonna waste my time discussing that) is still an ad hominem, and it still does not contribute to the conversation. Just don't be that guy.

I'll concede to the rule but for your information the point of it was not to attack him but make him consider that he just doesn't get it.

Offline Excelsior John

• Excelsior! Flat Earth FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2014, 12:16:45 AM »
Show me your proof, and I will argue for the sake of arguing.
Water. When you poor water into a cup the surfice is flat. Even wen the botom is curved upwerd or downwerd the surfice is still flat. There is a fanominon caled "meniscus" in wich the top surfice of water apers to curve in a gradruated silindar but this is simpeley caused by molcules in the glas. So were is the glas in the ocens? You cant have a round earth because the water in the ocens should be flat acording to this truth. The top surfice of water naturaley stays flat so therfore it is imposibel that a round earth can exist. There you have it
Read Earth Not a Globe by Samuel Rowbotham.

What a lazy OP.
Agred. It is a fantastic pece of litratur a must reed! How can you posibley deny dr. Rowbothoms argumints?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:54:02 PM by Excelsior John »
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396
Excelsior:...You are clearly a reasonable and intelligent person.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2014, 02:21:42 AM »
Agred. It is a fantastic pece of litratur a must reed! How can you posibley deny dr. Rowbothoms argumints?
Quite easily, for the most part.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline Excelsior John

• Excelsior! Flat Earth FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2014, 03:00:04 AM »
Try me
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396
Excelsior:...You are clearly a reasonable and intelligent person.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2014, 04:56:55 AM »
Try me
Please read chapter 3 and tell me what you think of Rowbotham's view of projectile motion.

« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2015, 09:37:48 PM »
I have seen picture/video evidence of a round earth.  If pics/vids of kangaroos is enough to believe in kangaroos, it's enough to believe in a round earth.

So then, you believe in a round earth only because an organization founded by Nazi war criminals showed you an image of one. I see.

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/relevance/genetic/

« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2015, 09:40:02 PM »
Look out a window. I recommend doing this while on an airplane for the best results, but even a rather tall building will work. The Earth will appear, minus a few negligible bumps and whatnot, to be flat. Hence, we should assume it is flat

The circumference of the earth in RE is the same as the circumference of the equator in FE yet you argue that the curvature of the surface is flat but the curvature of the equator only appears to be flat. IOW you can't tell you are traveling in a circle at the equator yet mysteriously not being able to tell you are traveling on a sphere with the same curvature is proof of flatness. Hmmm.

Offline Orbisect-64

• I'M REVOLTING! . . . make of it what you will
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2015, 05:56:03 AM »
"So then, you believe in a round earth only because an organization founded by Nazi war criminals showed you an image of one." —Tom Bishop

"That's not my only reason..." —Alchemist21

LOL!
PRONOIA: “The delusional belief that the world is set up to benefit people … The confident and assumed trust that despite years of lies and oppression, government is secretly conspiring in your favor.”