Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Video Plugin for the Wiki
« on: August 12, 2018, 01:28:50 AM »
The Wiki seems a little limited on how we can embed video files. Would it be possible to install a YouTube/Media plugin?

Right now I am creating a clickable image like the video on this page: https://wiki.tfes.org/Atmolayer_Lip_Hypothesis

It may be better if we didn't force our users to click away from the website, however.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 04:37:38 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Video Plugin for the Wiki
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 09:15:42 AM »
Sounds reasonable. I'll see what I can do.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 01:37:56 PM »
Thanks!

If this is MediWiki, VideoEmbed claims to provide support for over 24 popular video sharing services. Or, one that can support flash embed would be even better. Embedding flash content was another issue of mine.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 02:55:36 PM »
Flash content may be a tough sell at this point - it has its share of security issues, and is largely on its way out from the modern Web. I'd suggest that we search for alternatives or produce them ourselves where none exist. If you have any specific examples of content you'd want to see included, please let me know and I'll investigate.

As for the video embeds - yeah, it is MediaWiki and we'll almost certainly be using one of the extensions already available. I'd like to sit down with Parsifal and update MediaWiki to its newest version before introducing any other changes, but hopefully we'll be able to get this sorted within this week.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 05:08:01 PM »
I've installed VideoEmbed as per your suggestion, with a slight modification to make it use youtube-nocookie.com instead of youtube.com. This shouldn't affect operation so the instructions at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EmbedVideo should all be fine.

You can see it in action on my user page.

Please use these sparingly - multiple embedded videos on any given page will significantly increase load times, especially on mobile. And, of course, since online content is volatile, some of our links may break over time.

It may be a good idea to start hosting any videos we strongly rely on locally within the Wiki, at least where copyright allows.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 05:14:16 PM »
It looks great. This will be a nice tool. You are right that videos are often removed/expired from YouTube, and we should make local copies.