Sun queries
« on: October 08, 2016, 10:24:03 AM »
Anyone with a good filter and a reaonable lens can photograph or film the sun and see sunspots, filaments and coronal holes (to confirm what you can see on a few internet sites without all the hassles). If you are lucky, you will be able to see a CME (coronal mass ejection) when the opposite polarities of sunspots interact from time to time or a filament breaks away from the surface. These events have an effect on the auroras at the poles, but it takes a few days for the charged particles to reach earth and be deflected by our magnetic shield to produce the Northern and Southern Lights. How does flat earth science explain that  the auroras are predictable well in advance and what are these CME's on their spotlight sun just 3000 miles away and just 32 miles wide? Some CME's have caused problems on Earth due to their magnetic and electric properties, eg causing blackouts in parts of the world in the past.
The sunspots, filaments and coronal holes are seen to travel in a circular path across the surface of the rotating sun, and filaments can be seen appearing before they reach the earth facing portion of the sun as they are often tens of thousands of kilometres high, and then they disappear to the far side after a few days and some sunspots last long enough to return again days later to face earth. CME eruptions are picked up occurring on the far side of the sun as their plasma ejections are visable as they move away and expand into space behind the edge of the visible sun. FE explanation needed on what all these occurrences are.
There is a lot of work being done currently to link earthquakes and coronal holes, even trying to pinpoint the areas that should be on alert.For those interested, I highly recommend the site suspicousobservers.org, not only for information on this, but also all about the sun and various other things. The owner of the site often has a go at how climate data is changed to further the climate change protagonists claims, and you will find his climate change videos do not take sides but are based on fact. Hence the Suspicious in his website name.

Re: Sun queries
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 06:45:59 AM »
I have a feeling that the one or two flat earthers left on this site have either finally admitted that they are wrong or their arguments have dried up. No real  answers from them in about a week on any post.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 11:14:50 PM »
I have a feeling that the one or two flat earthers left on this site have either finally admitted that they are wrong or their arguments have dried up. No real  answers from them in about a week on any post.
I have tried to get answers on the 3,000 mile sun height that FEers seem to assume. I have started a few threads and made numerous posts, but about the only comments I get are things like
"How do I know the sun elevation angles are correct everywhere on earth?"  or
"How do I know the distances are correct?"

Well, I have used elevation angles and distances taken from the Wiki (what  ;) better authority  ;) ) and I have used angles from SunEarthTools and distances from Google Earth.

The elevations to more or less agree. The Wiki assumes 69.5 miles/degree, where 69.2 miles/degree would be closer, but the Wiki and other sites do give quite consistent end results.

Here are some posts that I tried:
Re: Astronomy debunk: The sun is clearly moving away « Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 10:47:55 PM »
Re: The Sun's height from the method and distances in "the Wiki".« Message by rabinoz on August 07, 2016, 02:07:06 AM »
Re: The Sun's height from the method and distances in "the Wiki". « Message by rabinoz on August 07, 2016, 02:07:06 AM »
etc. 
Maybe you cn word it better. I can't seem to get the message across that there is no justification for claiming that the sun is at 3,000 miles.
I suppose the sting in the tail that no one can accept is that the sun elevations prove that the earth is a globe with a distant sun!

May you have more impact than I could manage!

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 07:02:35 PM »
All of which is made all the more ridiculous when you remember that the 3000 miles figure is calculated under the assumption that light travels in perfectly straight lines from the sun to the two locations where it subtends a 45° angle.

However, FE theory requires light to be BENDY at any non-vertical angle in order to explain sunrise and sunset.  Which means that the sun wasn't really 45° above the horizon, it merely looked like it was, which means Rowbotham, Voliva, et al have no mathematical basis for any calculated sun height, since they don't know the path taken by the light!  If you don't know the path, you can't do the trigonometry, it's that simple.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 09:33:32 AM »
I am pretty sure the FE'ers here have taken such a beating that they have submitted! The fight has been forced out of them as everything that they throw at us gets debunked! R I P to this forum!

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 10:41:05 PM »
I am pretty sure the FE'ers here have taken such a beating that they have submitted! The fight has been forced out of them as everything that they throw at us gets debunked! R I P to this forum!
It certainly seems as peaceful as the grave, but the real white ants are the Youtubers that spread such errant nonsense, that a lot seem to espouse.
If they came here or to The Flat Earth Society they would at least see both sides.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 06:11:07 AM »
Agreed 100%. I have started debunking the YouTubes over the last three months giving proofs and asking questions. It is worse than here! My comments are deleted (DIRTH, Russianvids, Jeranism,G lobeBusters) or blocked from public view (Chippy Chipmunk) or just ignored or deflected. The only way to get to them would be to put up lots of counter videos with the same topic names and plenty of flat earth in the heading and text. I don't have the time or software for that!  And then it would add to the stats mentioned recently that FE is growing despite some of the video are about being debunked!

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 12:46:51 PM »

I was thinking/wondering something similar until I stumbled over to the general forum and found that the esteemed Mr. Bishop has been keeping himself quite busy with his normal fare.

I think what they've actually done is to move to a portion of the site which is less visited by those of us who can or will offer a counter debate.