Re: Beautiful recent hi-res image of Earth from the moon
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2016, 04:23:19 AM »
Did you really have to measure the vertex angles and polygon count, etc. before reaching the conclusion the GTA picture was fake, or could you, you know, figure it out right away just by looking at it?

No I didn't. As humans, we are quite proficient at facial recognition. We do it every day. It is relatively difficult to create a CGI face that can fool a person up close.
Perhaps he wore a latex face mask because he didn't want his real picture on the Internet? Hell, there's a guy over in my LLR Hoax thread who won't even reveal anything about a supposed UK astronomer he chats with on StackExchange who can cooberate his nonsensical claims. Lotta crazy people out there and identities must be hidden, right?  ::)

See, it's really easy to just make shit up about why something fake "could" be real.

Sure, you can rationalize away any evidence if you try hard enough. Are you implying that we should completely do away with objective evidence, and completely rely on intuition for everything? That would be chaos.

Besides, you haven't even provided any evidence to rationalize away yet.

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 11:10:40 AM »
You know what, it does look fake.

Thank you for keeping it real. The whole bit about parallel lines and what not is apples and oranges.

At first glance, and then after much examination, this absolutely appears to be a 3d graphic lunar surface super imposed in front of a composite earth.

Maybe they will say the lunar surface is just mapped out from data and not an actual photograph, that might make sense. But to try to pass this off as a genuine photograph is just plain amateur. I've seen so much better cgi in movies, that looks even believable, and even then I always spot it.

Here's the Japanese equivalent for comparison, and even these look way more realistic.

Apologies for being gone a couple days and not responding sooner. Anyway I'm upset that you took that sentence out of context. Seriously not cool.  Had you actually bothered to read my whole post you'd see that the gist of it is that reality sometimes looks fake. Instead you read the first sentence and quote it out of context to support your own arguement. That's kind of a dick move. It really is.
Occasional poster, frequent observer.
Round Earth.

RE is a complex theory of simple answers.
FE is a simple theory of complex answers.

Also ignoring intikam.

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 03:06:52 PM »
I did read it all, thats why I made mention of your parallel line tangent that had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

We are solely discussing whether or not it looks fake, as was my claim. It looks fake. Not discussing "could it be fake," or "a dozen ways it could it look fake and still be real."

Using my own eyes, and a lifetime of looking with them to accurately measure lengths and depths and differentiate between smooth, rough, and slippery surfaces, I've determined thatthis "photograph" is jarring and unrealistic.

I was forced to go into details about what should be obvious to anyone else with eyes, and even have a reason why it might look as fake as it does. All you did was try to go off on a tangent about optical illusions. Don't call me out for being a dick when I've already spent much more time debating this than I should have had to.

You can treat every graphic NASA puts out as accurate depiction of reality even after 40 years of self admitted doctoring, altering, interpreting, and even outright forging, but I choose not to.

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2016, 05:02:05 PM »
*sigh* Look tge human eye is not reliable. There are countless optical illusions out there that can fool them. Make our brains see something that isn't there, see things in ways the really aren't. If You watch a car's wheel on the highway, they may look as if they are turning backwards. They aren't. Tgey appear this way because our eyes are physically limited. Our brain tries to fill in the gaps.
Again, given the right weather and lighting, even your local forest could look damn near fake.
I get what I'm saying can go both ways, and that's why I'm pissed about how you quoted me.

This whole damn thread is a useless moot point because you guys don't believe it despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I hate these threads. They accomplish nothing for anyone entirely because this arguement goes both ways.

The human eye is honestly the least reliable tool of measurement. It is low res, low framerate, and easily tricked.

Looks fake, looks flat does not cut it. That toy car 2 inches from my face looks like a full-size SUV. Is it? No.
Is that image fake? Maybe. Have you provided compelling evidence to support this hypothesis? No. Do I have any reason to believe its fake then? No, not really.
Occasional poster, frequent observer.
Round Earth.

RE is a complex theory of simple answers.
FE is a simple theory of complex answers.

Also ignoring intikam.

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 05:17:02 PM »
This whole damn thread is a useless moot point because you guys don't believe it despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I hate these threads. They accomplish nothing for anyone entirely because this arguement goes both ways.

Where's the overwhelming evidence? Where? I see a hard to follow explanation and some video about an animation software. The fact that you start with a position assuming there is overwhelming evidence makes it a lot more difficult for you to have an objective point of view.

You may not want to rely on your eyes but, so far, I have never walked into a wall because I don't have depth perception. I have been able to accurately determine 3D space using my eyes and my brain combined. I have been able to determine whether or not I should walk on that shiny reflective surface through prior experience that it may be slippery.

Just because I can't tell how many legs this elephant has doesn't mean my eyes are useless. This was expertly crafted to fool your brain and your eyes. The problem with this NASA "photo" is that it does neither. It's obvious to me that it's not real. They did a terrible job of making the shadows accurately project according to a fixed light source. You would think after all the debacle over multiple sources of light and shadow angles in the Apollo photos they would learn by now how to fake it.

I don't need further analysis when it can't even pass the smell test.

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2016, 06:09:47 PM »
I have been able to determine whether or not I should walk on that shiny reflective surface through prior experience that it may be slippery.

Exactly how much prior experience do you have recognizing what the moon's surface looks like?

They did a terrible job of making the shadows accurately project according to a fixed light source.

I am still waiting for you to clarify which shadows are pointing the wrong way. Perhaps you missed my post talking about the shadows, since it was at the very bottom of the previous page?

I don't need further analysis when it can't even pass the smell test.

I'm sure it has served you well in the past, but most people aren't satisfied by your knee-jerk reaction analysis.

Offline Chris C

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
It is fake, the Earth is too close to the moon. The Earth should be as small as the moon looks from Earth.

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2016, 11:29:58 PM »
The Earth should be as small as the moon looks from Earth.

No it shouldn't. How did you come to this conclusion?

Offline Chris C

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2016, 07:35:52 AM »
The Earth should be as small as the moon looks from Earth.

No it shouldn't. How did you come to this conclusion?

Perhaps you are right. However,

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2016, 10:10:52 AM »

It's all in the lenses Chris.

Zoom lenses!
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Chris C

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2016, 03:13:30 PM »

Zoom lenses!

That picture has been doctored. The only thing that has been zoom is the moon.

Offline thatsnice

• Don't you just love Reuleaux triangles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2016, 03:18:43 PM »

Zoom lenses!

Orr... you just don't realize that the picture is from very far away.
"You never go full retard."

Offline Chris C

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2016, 03:50:08 PM »

Zoom lenses!

Orr... you just don't realize that the picture is from very far away.

Very far away? Foreground is sharp , grass outlines are sharp. Moon super fuzzy. This is a spectacular picture, but it does not explain the NASA picture.  Both the foreground and background are equally sharp in the NASA picture, besides thats the first time i've ever seen a color picture from that rover... ( on top of that even I think it looks CGI) I'm a globe earthier. But it seems like NASA put out that picture to MOCK us.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2016, 10:41:08 AM »
Very far away? Foreground is sharp , grass outlines are sharp. Moon super fuzzy. This is a spectacular picture, but it does not explain the NASA picture.  Both the foreground and background are equally sharp in the NASA picture....

Moon is fuzzy in the earthbound photo because it is seen through miles and miles of atmospheric distortion.
Earth is sharp in the spaceborne photo because the moon has no atmosphere to introduce distortion.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2016, 11:36:00 AM »

Zoom lenses!

I don't know about that one, but I believe this one is genuine:

From: How to Photograph a Silhouette in Front of a Giant Moon by Tiffany M

Offline Venus

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2016, 02:21:20 AM »
A related genre is the "I-don't-understand-why-this-piece-of-equipment-looks-this-way-therefore-fake" category. For a classic example, see this Wiki page:
http://wiki.tfes.org/A_Close_Look_at_the_Lunar_Lander

This photo is of LM 2 which was never used, it is now at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington and I went to see it in 1998 - and personally I thought it was awesome - even though we knew it hadn't actually been to the moon!
"LM 2 was built for a second unmanned Earth-orbit test flight. Because the test flight of LM 1, named Apollo 5, was so successful, a second mission was deemed unnecessary. LM-2 was used for ground testing prior to the first successful Moon-landing mission. "
Here is an excellent explanation of the photo above, but of course the FE'ers will keep their heads in the sand !! ... https://space.stackexchange.com/questions/5899/why-does-the-ascent-stage-of-apollo-11s-lunar-module-look-like-its-made-of-pap
Because I live on the 'bottom' of a spinning spherical earth ...
*I cannot see Polaris, but I can see the Southern Cross
*When I look at the stars they appear to rotate clockwise, not anti-clockwise
*I see the moon 'upside down'
I've travelled to the Northern Hemisphere numerous times ... and seen how different the stars and the moon are 'up' there!
Come on down and check it out FE believers... !!