If the flat earth model has the sun and moon revolving around above it, how come you’re able to see them both occasionally? Literally makes no sense.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
I fail to see how this is a FE question. The answer is the same regardless of which model you subscribe to.

A solar day is just under 24 hours. A lunar day is about 24 hours and 50 minutes. Since the two are not perfectly in sync, there will be times when both are located above you at the same time.

Perhaps you could tell us what, exactly, makes "literally no sense"? Normally, we'd expect newcomers to put at least a modicum of effort into their posts.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

If both the sun and moon revolve above us, we shouldn’t be able to see them both in the sky at the same time. Just like how we shouldn’t be able to see the sun ‘sinking/rising’ beyond the horizon during a sunset/sunrise on your model. The round earth model makes sense because the earth spins while orbiting the sun while The moon orbits the Earth. If the moon and sun on a flat earth model had a notable delay, then that should’ve been on your model.

Forgive the ‘Literally makes no sense’ thing. It was a FE question because I don’t think it’d Make sense on an FE model.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:31:48 PM by Poper22361 »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
It sounds like you haven't read the FAQ. Please familiarise yourself with the basics of the subject you're discussing before trying to discuss it.

The only thing I saw having to do with days/nights was that the moon moves slightly slower than the sun. How does this help? How am I suppose to know how common it is to see this happening? And if the moon moves only slightly slower, you should only be able to see this happen once before having to wait a while again. It’s not like seeing this event is rare, either; I’ve seen this hundreds of times in the mornings before school.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
How am I suppose to know how common it is to see this happening?
You could consider using maths.

It’s not like seeing this event is rare, either;
This is a logical non-starter. A full moon is much rarer than being able to see the moon at night, and yet most of us have seen a full moon plenty of times. Your idea of what's "rare" is at fault.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 12:17:47 AM by Pete Svarrior »

The full moon follows a cycle though? The moon has to be at just the right spot in order for it to be visible in the day. I just want to know how it’s possible to see this on a flat earth model if the sun and moon are opposite each other.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
The full moon follows a cycle though? The moon has to be at just the right spot in order for it to be visible in the day. I just want to know how it’s possible to see this on a flat earth model if the sun and moon are opposite each other.

First I am not an FE'er.  But its pretty simple to visualize.    If 2 objects are moving in a circle around the same point at the same speed and one has a slightly longer path they would be close to each other at some points and farther at other times.   

But if the FE model in question was true the moon would be visible in the daylight about half the time right?
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
But if the FE model in question was true the moon would be visible in the daylight about half the time right?
No - but only because the sun's light normally overshadows any other light sources under most circumstances. No different from RET.

Help, can any provide me with an answer to my friend who said " I left NY on a cruise ship and noticed as we sailed away the high rise buildings were disappearing gradually from the bottom and could only see the top floors. that proves the earth is round." I told him I would explain that the next time we meet. Would someone be kind enough to help. kind Regards, paul

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
Help, can any provide me with an answer to my friend who said " I left NY on a cruise ship and noticed as we sailed away the high rise buildings were disappearing gradually from the bottom and could only see the top floors. that proves the earth is round." I told him I would explain that the next time we meet. Would someone be kind enough to help. kind Regards, paul

Read the wiki, this is covered
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?