Ghost of V

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: On the notion of Eve Online
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 10:58:14 PM »
Show me one that isn't. Grindy =! bad either.

www.eveonline.com

Really?

Describe what in Eve Online could possibly be described as "grinding." Yeah, some of the aspects of the game are boring as all hell, but that doesn't make it grinding. You literally can't grind, since leveling up is based on time, not experience.

Ghost of V

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:03:28 PM »
Show me one that isn't. Grindy =! bad either.

www.eveonline.com

Really?

Describe what in Eve Online could possibly be described as "grinding." Yeah, some of the aspects of the game are boring as all hell, but that doesn't make it grinding. You literally can't grind, since leveling up is based on time, not experience.

It doesn't matter what leveling up is based on. To progress you have to mine and do the same shit over and over again, which makes it 'grindy'. I consider anything that requires you to sink massive amounts of time doing basically the same things over and over to progress "grindy".

Maybe my definition is not the common one?

Thinking about it now, with my definition, any game could be considered a grind... hmm... might have to go back to the drawing board on this one.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:05:06 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:04:16 PM »
It doesn't matter what leveling up is based on. To progress you have to mine and do the same shit over and over again, which makes it 'grindy'.

Uhh, what? To progress you have to mine? You've never even played Eve Online before, have you?

Ghost of V

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:06:27 PM »
It doesn't matter what leveling up is based on. To progress you have to mine and do the same shit over and over again, which makes it 'grindy'.

Uhh, what? To progress you have to mine? You've never even played Eve Online before, have you?

It's been a while, but I have played it. I did a lot of mining.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 11:09:27 PM »

Well that was entirely your own choice. It is called a sandbox for a reason. You don't have to mine, and even if you did, I imagine you were apparently solo mining. Solo mining does feel grindy and boring, but fleet mining feels fast-paced. Going from belt to belt, stripping them clean, and blowing up anyone that isn't blue.

It is also why I am so excited about Star Citizen. Star Citizen is like Eve without all the dumbass "skill this up for a 1% increase" min-maxing bullshit.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:11:17 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Ghost of V

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 11:10:47 PM »

Well that was entirely your own choice. It is called a sandbox for a reason. You don't have to mine, and even if you did, I imagine you were apparently solo mining. Solo mining does feel grindy and boring, but fleet mining feels fast-paced. Going from belt to belt, stripping them clean, and blowing up anyone that isn't blue.

Yeah, I didn't make too many friends. I played it for about a week, then moved on to something else. I'd love to start it up again, though. The idea of Eve Online is really appealing to me. Maybe I was playing the game incorrectly.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 11:13:08 PM »
I'd just wait for Star Citizen, which will hopefully be Eve Online without the min-maxing and the spreadsheets. It seems like CCP (eve devs) would realize a gameplay mechanism is fucked up if Microsoft Excel is a necessary third party product to play your game.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 11:22:01 PM »
tfw didn't take pp2's split warming seriously

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 11:34:35 PM »
I have fixed this post's title, I suggest doing the same to the thread.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 12:01:22 AM »
The amount of time you spend in EVE Online, you should just spend building a business and doing all of your accounting yourself, since that's what the game is. The difference is that you don't get paid real money.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 12:15:35 AM »
No, that is not what the game is. Yes, there are activities which can be made easier with spreadsheets, but they are optional and fairly niche.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 12:26:28 AM »
I wouldn't call logistics 'niche' in Eve. Literally any corporate activity requires logistics and logistics requires spreadsheets. The mere fact that Eve calls them corporations instead of guilds is the most fitting name ever given in gaming history. If you fight, you're going to lose ships, if you lose ships, those ships have to come from somewhere. Merc corps (at least the good ones) pay you additional insurance. I was in one where you submit your complete ship fitting and killmail to the budget branch and they pay you out 90% the ship's market value in 3-5 days (no, I'm not joking, that was the estimated/maximum response time). This is how the corporation as a whole managed to field huge fleets over and over again.

99% of everything in Eve is mined, manufactured, and distributed by players. If you're buying anything above the basic skillbooks and some dinky autocannon that comes on starter ships, then you're buying something from another player and somewhere along the line a corporation was involved and that corporation used spreadsheets.

Hell, the WH space corp I was in had three spreadsheets I had to help manage by providing POS fuel parts and getting paid the market value of those parts provided as well as everyone else carting in parts for tech 3 factories. It really did become, well, a job, so I stopped. Eve is a game where min-maxing isn't just a possible strategy, it is the only one.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 12:28:17 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 12:29:31 AM »
I only mean that the average EVE player will probably never touch a spreadsheet, not that they aren't important.

Ghost of V

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 12:29:51 AM »
Hell, the WH space corp I was in had three spreadsheets I had to help manage by providing POS fuel parts and getting paid the market value of those parts provided as well as everyone else carting in parts for tech 3 factories. It really did become, well, a job, so I stopped. Eve is a game where min-maxing isn't just a possible strategy, it is the only one.

That doesn't sound fun at all. I think I will wait for Star Citizen.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 12:32:49 AM »
I only mean that the average EVE player will probably never touch a spreadsheet, not that they aren't important.

I guess I just automatically assumed my experience was average, since it is statistically likely.

That doesn't sound fun at all. I think I will wait for Star Citizen.

It has its moments. Eve Online is 10 minutes of really great fun spaced between hours and hours of sheer boredom. Being in that merc corp was fun when we were fighting things, except for the hours at a time we would roam around with nothing to do.

Some corporations even use that tactic. It is called 'weaponized boredom' and they win wars by not fighting anyone ever. Eventually the other corp has to give up and they win by default.

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 03:03:10 AM »
Any other examples besides the obvious eve troll?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 03:06:30 AM »
Any other examples besides the obvious eve troll?

rumescape

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 03:40:13 AM »
Elite: Dangerous. The MMO where you don't grind. Or do anything, for that matter.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 03:44:12 AM »
The opposite is true. All you can do is grind.