Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Korra season 3
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2014, 02:06:37 PM »
Only when he got into the Avatar state, which is basically an "I win" mode.

Except for, you know, that time the it almost resulted in his death. Pretty far from an "i win" mode.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2014, 02:23:55 PM »

Except for, you know, that time the it almost resulted in his death. Pretty far from an "i win" mode.
Yes. If you catch the Avatar unaware of your attack then he will be hit. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »
And possibly end the avatars for good. It's a risky move.

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »
I like how Korra is able to turn on Avatar mode as she wills, but it's far from an 'I win' mode. I don't think it's ever resulted in her instantly winning against any major villains when she has used it.

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2014, 09:19:14 PM »
Probably because she sucks at the the spirit side of things, at least she's that way where I am in the series right now.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2014, 06:36:44 AM »
That's kind of true, but season 2 changes that pretty significantly.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2014, 02:56:01 PM »

It also fucks up the original lore that people learned elements from animals (except for water, which used the moon). I hate turtles.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2014, 03:08:33 PM »
lore lore lore

Also, I've watched the first few episodes.  It's gud.  And it's got J.K. Simmons displaying some remarkable acting range, too, which is pretty cool.  If he ever starts babbling about mantis men or moon rocks, I will be very happy.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 03:25:40 PM by Saddam Hussein »

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2014, 06:00:17 PM »

It also fucks up the original lore that people learned elements from animals (except for water, which used the moon). I hate turtles.

Sort of, but the Avatar did learn how to fire bend better from the dragons. They never really addressed how benders originally got their bending in the original series.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2014, 06:09:48 PM »
They never really addressed how benders originally got their bending in the original series.

Yes they did... multiple times. Fire came from dragons, water from the moon, earth from the mole, and air from bisons. The characters even state specifically that the first benders learned from the aforementioned creatures/spirit, it doesn't even attempt to leave it fuzzy enough for these turtles to teach anything but spirit bending, which is the way it should have stayed.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:11:45 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2014, 06:16:47 PM »
They never really addressed how benders originally got their bending in the original series.

Yes they did... multiple times. Fire came from dragons, water from the moon, earth from the mole, and air from bisons. The characters even state specifically that the first benders learned from the aforementioned creatures/spirit, it doesn't even attempt to leave it fuzzy enough for these turtles to teach anything but spirit bending, which is the way it should have stayed.
Yeah but where did those animals learn to bend?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2014, 10:57:52 PM »
Yeah but where did those animals learn to bend?

The animals naturally have the ability.

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2014, 07:25:33 PM »

They said they learned to bend from those animals, but clearly there are people who can bend, and people who cannot. Those who cannot, can't just go befriend a bison and learn to air bend. Perhaps the original benders got their powers from the turtles, but their abilities were crude and not very useful until they learned from the animals how to do it properly.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2014, 01:25:55 AM »
They said they learned to bend from those animals, but clearly there are people who can bend, and people who cannot. Those who cannot, can't just go befriend a bison and learn to air bend. Perhaps the original benders got their powers from the turtles, but their abilities were crude and not very useful until they learned from the animals how to do it properly.

No. The great Rushy has decreed that turtles with bending other than spirit-type are not canon.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »

One must have a sufficiently high midichlorian count in order to bend any of the elements.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2014, 04:59:19 PM »

That scene really clashed with its depiction in the rest of the show.  Every other time Aang entered the Avatar state, he really was basically turning on God mode.  Attacks would bounce harmlessly off him.  He could rout entire armies.  Nothing could come even close to stopping him.  But then all of a sudden, at a moment when it would be dramatically convenient to put him in peril, oh, maybe the Avatar state isn't all that powerful after all?  Huh.  The only idea I have that might explain it is that maybe he's still vulnerable while he's just entering the Avatar state.  They certainly never addressed the discrepancy in the show.  And someone mentioned Korra's use of the Avatar state, and from what I've seen, it's been similarly nerfed for her.

Speaking of comparing the two shows, I'm halfway through Korra's second season, and at least so far, it's nowhere near as good as the first show.  It's not bad or anything, but it seems like they have no idea what they're doing with the show.  They lurch from weird sports-themed episodes to love triangles to warfare to spirituality so quickly that it's just like, well, they're making it up as they go along.  There's no focus.  And Korra herself, while a great character, isn't developed very well.  Most episodes just go, Korra does something rash and impulsive, Korra realizes that's bad, rinse, repeat.  Does she have a really weird case of short-term memory loss or something?

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2014, 09:19:54 PM »
I disagree Saddam. It seems to me that they plan each season, but nothing beyond that. It's similar to the original series in that regard, but this time around it's not as driven by the main good guys. Korra tends to find herself reacting to villains/events/love triangles etc in place of Aang & co wandering around doing things. I do think Korra hasn't changed a terrible lot, certainly not as much as Aang did over the course of the original series. You could argue that's her nature, but it's still a pretty boring trait.

I like the new series because of the pacing and action. They start off slow but end up with big climaxes, but even the beginning of the season wasn't too slow. The original series was always pretty slow, the group seemed to meander a lot between the start and end.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2014, 02:13:42 AM »

That scene really clashed with its depiction in the rest of the show.  Every other time Aang entered the Avatar state, he really was basically turning on God mode.  Attacks would bounce harmlessly off him.  He could rout entire armies.  Nothing could come even close to stopping him.  But then all of a sudden, at a moment when it would be dramatically convenient to put him in peril, oh, maybe the Avatar state isn't all that powerful after all?  Huh.  The only idea I have that might explain it is that maybe he's still vulnerable while he's just entering the Avatar state.  They certainly never addressed the discrepancy in the show.  And someone mentioned Korra's use of the Avatar state, and from what I've seen, it's been similarly nerfed for her.

Speaking of comparing the two shows, I'm halfway through Korra's second season, and at least so far, it's nowhere near as good as the first show.  It's not bad or anything, but it seems like they have no idea what they're doing with the show.  They lurch from weird sports-themed episodes to love triangles to warfare to spirituality so quickly that it's just like, well, they're making it up as they go along.  There's no focus.  And Korra herself, while a great character, isn't developed very well.  Most episodes just go, Korra does something rash and impulsive, Korra realizes that's bad, rinse, repeat.  Does she have a really weird case of short-term memory loss or something?
The only thing I can think of with the Avatar State is that Aang was caught off guard.  He wasn't ready for an attack.  Probably still waking up from his meditation or something.  The attacks bounce off him only because he's so awesome he can block said attacks.  Remember, most of what get's thrown at him is other bending.  Things he can bend.  Someone chucks a rock at him, he flings the rock right back.  And because he's the Avatar, he's much stronger than the other person so his influence wins.

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2014, 04:59:11 AM »
Just finished episode 4. I like where this season is heading. Hopefully they can pull off a good split storyline going forward.

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2014, 08:25:34 AM »
Yeah, so much action as well.