totallackey

Re: Trump
« Reply #3580 on: January 22, 2019, 05:15:47 PM »
More fake news? Mainstream media typically states "war veteran":

Nathan Phillips - really a war veteran?
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/21/nathan-phillips-vietnam-veteran-status-question/
Seems this guy is just a total joke who has a face that deserves to punched...

Rama Set

« Reply #3581 on: January 23, 2019, 01:36:33 PM »
The altruism of Trump, so nobly working without pay on behalf of the American people.
As if altruism is a worthwhile aspiration?

Is selfishness, the antonym of 'altruism', the more worthwhile aspiration?
Of course it is!

All creatures, by their very nature, act out of an ingrained sense of preservation of self-interest.

Altruism simply goes against the laws of nature.

Incorrect. Altruism is an evolved trait among many social species.
Altruism is not an evolved trait.

As usual, the bogus definitions card game comes into play.

Nobody wants to play muddy the water with you Rama...

You have no idea what you are talking about:

https://www.nature.com/news/2010/100825/full/news.2010.427.html

It’s kind of irrelevant but kind of important to point out to people like you that there is actually a huge benefit to altruism. It’s kind of shocking that it needs explaining to an adult, but here we are.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/21/nathan-phillips-vietnam-veteran-status-question/

Canadian media reported that this was a misleading story. Maybe look outside America a bit more and you won’t feel so lied to by the media. You might learn something about civility as well.

totallackey

« Reply #3582 on: January 23, 2019, 01:48:57 PM »

It’s kind of irrelevant but kind of important to point out to people like you that there is actually a huge benefit to altruism. It’s kind of shocking that it needs explaining to an adult, but here we are.
Again, a person acts only out of rational self-interest.

Any and all descriptions you offer in support of "supposed" altruism is not altruism.

The actor committing "supposed," altruism is indeed receiving or expecting some benefit, even if it not from external sources.

Canadian media reported that this was a misleading story. Maybe look outside America a bit more and you won’t feel so lied to by the media. You might learn something about civility as well.
[/quote]
Calling a spade a spade is not being uncivil.

Rama Set

« Reply #3583 on: January 23, 2019, 02:15:53 PM »

Any and all descriptions you offer in support of "supposed" altruism is not altruism.

The actor committing "supposed," altruism is indeed receiving or expecting some benefit, even if it not from external sources.

Surely I will trust an assistant prison warden over a biologist.

Calling a spade a spade is not being uncivil.

Wanting to punch someone in the face that you don’t know and who has never done anything to you, is.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:43:57 AM by Rama Set »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: January 24, 2019, 03:35:37 AM »
Phillips never served in Vietnam. He said so himself.

Rama Set

« Reply #3585 on: January 24, 2019, 03:44:42 AM »
Trump is well on his way to adding more debt than Obama, despite a better economy.  Republicans like Tom wont care though.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: January 24, 2019, 05:01:58 AM »
Psychological egoism is a tautology that offers itself as evidence of its veracity, and will never be disproved to the satisfaction of its adherents. The real problem with the idea isn't that it might not be true, but that's it useless. It tells us nothing about human behavior or even the likelihood of performing altruistic acts, only about the super-secret unconscious motivation behind them. It's edgelord philosophy, typically invoked by people trying to downplay the importance of moral behavior, and this occasion is no exception. This whole discussion began when I commented on the allegations of Trump using his office to enrich himself in response to Rushy bringing up Trump's promise to not accept a salary that's been so frequently touted as a sign of his public spirit and altruism. And that was totallackey's cue to start talking about psychological egoism and fallacious appeals to nature. Do you really think that's an appropriate response to alleged corruption? Is that...something you support? I mean, you seemed to indicate that you also advocate ethical egoism, but that leads us to the obvious rebuttal that you're not Trump. He's stealing from you just as much as the rest of us.

Wanting to punch someone in the face that you don’t know and who has never done anything to you, is.

I don't know, man. I kind of wanted to punch that kid in the face. He has the most punchable Smuggy Smug McSmugface imaginable.

Trump is well on his way to adding more debt than Obama, despite a better economy.  Republicans like Tom wont care though.

Tom isn't a Republican, he's whatever he thinks most people here aren't.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: January 24, 2019, 09:16:19 AM »
Trump bent to Pelosi!

State of the Union delayed until the government is reopened.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/23/687745949/trump-says-state-of-the-union-will-be-on-schedule-and-on-location

I guess the Senate isn't a good place?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

totallackey

« Reply #3588 on: January 24, 2019, 12:13:25 PM »

Surely I will trust an assistant prison warden over a biologist.

Has nothing to do with who you trust...

Has everything to do with your ability to comprehend...

Which, as usual, is non-existent...
Who wrote I wanted to punch him in the face?

I see speed bags and heavy bags in the gym all the time.

Those also look like they deserve to punched.

Doesn't mean I am the one who wants to do it...

totallackey

« Reply #3589 on: January 24, 2019, 12:24:13 PM »
Psychological egoism is a tautology that offers itself as evidence of its veracity, and will never be disproved to the satisfaction of its adherents. The real problem with the idea isn't that it might not be true, but that's it useless. It tells us nothing about human behavior or even the likelihood of performing altruistic acts, only about the super-secret unconscious motivation behind them. It's edgelord philosophy, typically invoked by people trying to downplay the importance of moral behavior, and this occasion is no exception. This whole discussion began when I commented on the allegations of Trump using his office to enrich himself in response to Rushy bringing up Trump's promise to not accept a salary that's been so frequently touted as a sign of his public spirit and altruism. And that was totallackey's cue to start talking about psychological egoism and fallacious appeals to nature. Do you really think that's an appropriate response to alleged corruption? Is that...something you support? I mean, you seemed to indicate that you also advocate ethical egoism, but that leads us to the obvious rebuttal that you're not Trump. He's stealing from you just as much as the rest of us.
I advocate naturally performed acts.

Acting out of a sense of rational self-interest.

Yes, that fits the definition of psychological egoism you proffer.

What doesn't fit is the intellectually and philosophically dishonest Windsor knot you want to wrap the issue in: That being Trump is a thief and that being Trump has stolen from me.

People whining Trump is a thief never had anything of value to begin, especially brains.

totallackey

« Reply #3590 on: January 24, 2019, 12:30:02 PM »

totallackey

« Reply #3591 on: January 24, 2019, 12:33:51 PM »
Trump bent to Pelosi!

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/23/687745949/trump-says-state-of-the-union-will-be-on-schedule-and-on-location

So, an act of deference, the very thing you critics claim he is unable to perform, is now rang as a cheer?

Not hardly...

Just a further sign of how bankrupt douchebags can be...

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: January 24, 2019, 01:23:32 PM »
Trump bent to Pelosi!

So, an act of deference, the very thing you critics claim he is unable to perform, is now rang as a cheer?

Not hardly...

Who said I was cheering?
Just reporting the news.  You're reading too much into things.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

totallackey

« Reply #3593 on: January 24, 2019, 01:33:16 PM »
Trump bent to Pelosi!

Not hardly...

Who said I was cheering?
You did.

Past highly critical posts + current exclamation point at end of "Trump bent to Pelosi!"
You're reading too much into things.
As are you if you believe this approach signifies anything like bending.

Trump is playing these people for the fools they truly are.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: January 24, 2019, 03:07:00 PM »
Trump bent to Pelosi!

Not hardly...

Who said I was cheering?
You did.

Past highly critical posts + current exclamation point at end of "Trump bent to Pelosi!"
Maybe I was angry?  Pissed that Trump did what Pelosi suggested as its smart and I wanr Trump to fail.

Oh, like Kim Jong Un?
Or China?

Please, do tell, what is his master plan?  Because to me this sounds like a very simple "Lets report good news" move . Which is smart.

totallackey

« Reply #3595 on: January 24, 2019, 04:43:15 PM »
Maybe I was angry?
Maybe?
Pissed that Trump did what Pelosi suggested as its smart and I wanr Trump to fail.
Hence your anger as he has not failed...

Oh, like Kim Jong Un?
Not a fool and no longer any trouble now that he is being treated as a human by Trump.
Or China?
China = many people

China ≠ these people to whom I refer (AKA: Dancy Nancy and her Chuckwagon).
Please, do tell, what is his master plan?
Drain the Swamp.

You remember... his campaign slogan?
Because to me this sounds like a very simple "Lets report good news" move . Which is smart.
Yes.

It is always good news when Trump speaks!

ALL HAIL OUR ILLUSTRIOUS AND BELOVED LEADER!

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: January 25, 2019, 02:29:26 AM »
This whole discussion began when I commented on the allegations of Trump using his office to enrich himself in response to Rushy bringing up Trump's promise to not accept a salary that's been so frequently touted as a sign of his public spirit and altruism.

Yes, this whole discussion is predicated on me stating a fact and you in turn stating some conspiracy gibberish. Can't let facts get in the way of orange man bad narratives.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: January 25, 2019, 08:06:40 AM »
Maybe I was angry?
Maybe?
Or surprised.  Text offers little in the way of tone.

Pissed that Trump did what Pelosi suggested as its smart and I wanr Trump to fail.
Hence your anger as he has not failed...
So following Pelosi's advice is smart . Thanks for that.

Oh, like Kim Jong Un?
Not a fool and no longer any trouble now that he is being treated as a human by Trump.
Right, because he's totally not building rockets ..
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/11/13/us-analysts-say-they-found-secret-north-korean-missile-sites-but-trump-says-theres-nothing-new/

I'd link the NYT article, but you'd call it fake news before reading it.

Or China?
China = many people

China ≠ these people to whom I refer (AKA: Dancy Nancy and her Chuckwagon).
The chinese government, you poorly written character troll.

Please, do tell, what is his master plan?
Drain the Swamp.

You remember... his campaign slogan?
Ok, I'll bite.  How does waiting to give the state of the union speech in the House help with that?

Because to me this sounds like a very simple "Lets report good news" move . Which is smart.
Yes.

It is always good news when Trump speaks!

ALL HAIL OUR ILLUSTRIOUS AND BELOVED LEADER!
Only if you work in the MSM.  Then it means ratings.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:09:52 AM by Lord Dave »

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: January 25, 2019, 02:49:39 PM »
me stating a fact

Yes, and you used the emphatic expression "every dime," which suggested you were impressed by Trump's not accepting a salary and/or believed it was a sign of his altruism. You'll probably deny this and say you were being entirely neutral in your statement of fact, but it is part of the reason why I felt the need to respond and deflate the idea that Trump truly is being selfless. His declining a salary is basically a feint; a public show of charity meant to distract from him chasing the big bucks elsewhere.

and you in turn stating some conspiracy gibberish. Can't let facts get in the way of orange man bad narratives.

If the facts are in the way of my narrative, then you should have no trouble pointing them out for me. Are you disputing the content of the article I linked? Trump is earning hundreds of millions a year from the properties and businesses that he refuses to divest himself of, many of which have dramatically raised their fees after he won the presidency. Corporate executives and foreign nationals regularly spend huge amounts of money on them. And we won't ever know the extent of how much influence these people have or could hold on Trump, because he also refuses to release his tax returns. Or is it my conclusions of corruption that you take issue with? Given Trump's enormous holdings, it's inevitably only a matter of time before Trump will have to choose between what's best for the nation and what's best for his wallet - assuming it hasn't happened already. Does that sit well with you? Like, suppose a group of shady rich Chinese people come up to Trump and promise him lucrative development opportunities in a number of Far East countries with hefty licensing fees, all if he'll just, say, launch a new military intervention in Syria. Do you think that Trump wouldn't take that deal?

This isn't even a question of Trump being uniquely terrible. I wouldn't trust any president being faced with such a major conflict of interest. And thankfully, we wouldn't have to, because any other president would have divested from their properties and released their tax returns. Why do you think Trump has refused to do those things?
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Rama Set

« Reply #3599 on: January 25, 2019, 07:40:35 PM »
Trump in a true 4D chess move is backtracking to support the border security that both sides agreed to before the shutdown (more or less). GG USA.