Re: Tesla Motors opens their patents to the world. Fuck yeah.
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 02:08:44 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/07/16/elon-musk-reveals-details-of-the-new-tesla/?tid=hp_mm&hpid=z3

tl;dr sex jokes, Model III will retail for $35,000, 200 mile range, due in 2017

I'm gonna buy the shit out of that thing the second it comes out down here.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/07/16/elon-musk-reveals-details-of-the-new-tesla/?tid=hp_mm&hpid=z3

tl;dr sex jokes, Model III will retail for $35,000, 200 mile range, due in 2017

I'm gonna buy the shit out of that thing the second it comes out down here.
2017?  That's plenty of time for them to fold, change the price, or be car blocked from the other auto dealers.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 10:24:06 AM »
Oh the price will likely change and I doubt the distance will end up as 200 miles. But if it does..

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »
Oh the price will likely change and I doubt the distance will end up as 200 miles. But if it does..
Hopefully they'll have more charging stations.  Like at gas stations.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 05:11:23 PM »
The good thing about a petrol station is that you can go in, fill up your car, buy some munchies and be on your way 5 mins later. I don't want to spend 9 hours at the electric charge station eating packaged sandwiches and doing scratch cards. Nor do I want to plan my entire life around the next charge of my car.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 05:32:17 PM »
The good thing about a petrol station is that you can go in, fill up your car, buy some munchies and be on your way 5 mins later. I don't want to spend 9 hours at the electric charge station eating packaged sandwiches and doing scratch cards. Nor do I want to plan my entire life around the next charge of my car.

Then it's a good thing that you won't have to.
The Tesla Supercharger recharges Model S quickly. Super quickly. Superchargers are for refueling quickly on road trips. A Supercharger can replenish half the battery in as little as 20 minutes. All Model S vehicles with the 85 kWh battery can use Superchargers as can properly equipped 60 kWh battery vehicles. Superchargers will be positioned at convenient locations along major interstates throughout the country.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Thork

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 05:35:36 PM »
I don't want to be at the charge station for 20 mins either. That's enough to make me late for work. Also fast charging is going to cap your battery life to around 5-7 years. I'm assuming you get a battery health check when you buy second hand electric cars, so yours will depreciate like a brick doing that. The batteries are upwards of $10,000 a time.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 05:37:59 PM »
I don't want to be at the charge station for 20 mins either. That's enough to make me late for work.

Charge it at home before you leave  >o<

Thork

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 05:40:40 PM »
I don't want to be at the charge station for 20 mins either. That's enough to make me late for work.

What if I forget? What if the charging thing burns my damned house down! Those batteries get hot on charging. What if I just go to the petrol station and buy some petrol like civilised folk have done for over 100 years?

I'd put petrol in my mobile phone if it meant I could just top it up and be good for the whole day. OMG. I have to go to the patent office. Brb.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 05:52:30 PM »

What if I forget? What if the charging thing burns my damned house down! Those batteries get hot on charging. What if I just go to the petrol station and buy some petrol like civilised folk have done for over 100 years?

I'd put petrol in my mobile phone if it meant I could just top it up and be good for the whole day. OMG. I have to go to the patent office. Brb.

There are quite a few charging stations where I live and I have witnessed zero fires.  I have, however, within the past two months seen a fire at a petrol station. It ignited while I was inside the store and sounded like a gunshot, caused by someone filling up. The car was engulfed in flames, so I quickly left and missed the end result. There are constantly morons who smoke at the pump, don't discharge static, etc. That is a much worse risk than a charging station.

There may be reasons to not like electric cars, but to me, charging isn't one of them.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 05:57:37 PM »

What if I forget?
Like if you forget to fill up with gas and run out on the highway?

What if the charging thing burns my damned house down!

Then your electrician should be sued.

Those batteries get hot on charging.
And?

What if I just go to the petrol station and buy some petrol like civilised folk have done for over 100 years?
Its more expensive.

Pull cord for your phone?

Thork

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 06:15:44 PM »
What if I just go to the petrol station and buy some petrol like civilised folk have done for over 100 years?
Its more expensive.
No, electric cars are way more expensive to buy and a little more to run.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11112820

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 07:09:17 PM »
Its more expensive.

That article quotes the price of an i-miev at £28,990 when the actual price is £9053.41... cheaper than the fiat. Looks like your media overlords hoodwinked you again, Thork. Also you're an idiot for having an article about electric vehicles from 2010. Technology moves fast.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:11:07 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Thork

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 07:25:36 PM »
Its more expensive.

That article quotes the price of an i-miev at £28,990 when the actual price is £9053.41... cheaper than the fiat. Looks like your media overlords hoodwinked you again, Thork. Also you're an idiot for having an article about electric vehicles from 2010. Technology moves fast.
Where did you see £9,000? Their website still says £28,499.
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/imiev/specifications.aspx
Electric cars are so expensive for what they are.

£28k for that piece of rubbish. You'd have to be insane. That's $48,000. Think of the kind of car you can get for that. Why would anyone buy electric?

0-60mph - 13 seconds. Yawn
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:28:33 PM by Thork »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 07:32:18 PM »
Its more expensive.
Does electricity cost more in the UK than petrol?

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 07:33:58 PM »
What's so civilized about polluting the atmoplane with burning fossil fuels.  ???

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Thork

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 07:47:43 PM »
Its more expensive.
Read the link and you will see why. ::)

What's so civilized about polluting the atmoplane with burning fossil fuels.  ???
as opposed to running around naked sniffing each others behinds?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 08:08:56 PM »
Its more expensive.

Where did you see £9,000? Their website still says £28,499.
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/imiev/specifications.aspx
Electric cars are so expensive for what they are.

£28k for that piece of rubbish. You'd have to be insane. That's $48,000. Think of the kind of car you can get for that. Why would anyone buy electric?

0-60mph - 13 seconds. Yawn

Apparently car companies royally screw britons, because an i-miev in the US is $16,000.  No wonder we all drive bigger cars.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2014, 08:29:10 PM »
as opposed to running around naked sniffing each others behinds?
??? What's wrong with running around naked?  Are civilized people born wearing clothes?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »
Its more expensive.
Read the link and you will see why. ::)
I did.  Its more expensive to buy but the cost to own is much cheaper.  The source of your "more expensive to run" is the depreciation value.  Which has no berring on the cost of owning the car.