Re: A simple question about sunsets.
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 05:35:59 PM »
Thank you, but which one is correct with confirmed distances?
I don't see how that's relevant. If you want to discuss the inconsistencies in distance caused by trying to fit a globe onto a flat plane, I'm sure there are threads about that. Stay on-topic.
It's a bit important to know so we can understand the times of sun rise and set at different places.

Offline Tim Alphabeaver

• That's no beaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 05:44:52 PM »
It's a bit important to know so we can understand the times of sun rise and set at different places.
I'm sure that's important. When I say 'on-topic' I mean the question in the OP:

Why at sunset do I see the shadow line slowly crawl up a mountainside facing the sun?
**I move away from the infinite flat plane to breathe in

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2020, 05:20:16 AM »
As the sun sets, the shadows goes up the mountain face. Simple geometry says that the shadow can't go up the mountain face unless the sun is sinking behind something. The "cloud lit from underside" theory doesn't accomplish anything here. We aren't talking about light sneaking in somewhere unexpected; we are talking about a shadow, the absence of light.

What's creating the shadow? What is blocking the sun's light that so regularly crawls up the mountainside, finally leaving it in shadow? If it is already dusk, why can I fly up in a plane and see the sun again? I haven't found an explanation in Flat Earth theory that explains this. Not saying there isn't one: if there is, I'd like to hear it.
I think that all of your questions would be adequately answered if you just read the wiki page on EA: https://wiki.tfes.org/Electromagnetic_Acceleration.

Yep, it does appear that this EA theory provides an explanation for the phenomenon. Not saying I accept it; just saying that if one does accept it, it explains the shadow.

Just for the record, I wasn't straw-manning (great word). I did say an "apparently" endless plain, which means nothing can be SEEN breaking its uniformity. Not proposing an actually endless plain, would indeed be straw-manning.

I've enjoyed this discussion. Thanks, all.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 05:22:00 AM by vladekk »

totallackey

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 02:44:55 PM »
As the sun sets, the shadows goes up the mountain face. Simple geometry says that the shadow can't go up the mountain face unless the sun is sinking behind something. The "cloud lit from underside" theory doesn't accomplish anything here. We aren't talking about light sneaking in somewhere unexpected; we are talking about a shadow, the absence of light.

What's creating the shadow? What is blocking the sun's light that so regularly crawls up the mountainside, finally leaving it in shadow? If it is already dusk, why can I fly up in a plane and see the sun again? I haven't found an explanation in Flat Earth theory that explains this. Not saying there isn't one: if there is, I'd like to hear it.
I think that all of your questions would be adequately answered if you just read the wiki page on EA: https://wiki.tfes.org/Electromagnetic_Acceleration.

Yep, it does appear that this EA theory provides an explanation for the phenomenon. Not saying I accept it; just saying that if one does accept it, it explains the shadow.

Just for the record, I wasn't straw-manning (great word). I did say an "apparently" endless plain, which means nothing can be SEEN breaking its uniformity. Not proposing an actually endless plain, would indeed be straw-manning.

I've enjoyed this discussion. Thanks, all.
You did end up amending your OP to add the word, "apparently endless," as descriptors to your plain and mountain scenario.

I will simply point out that no objects need be present on terra firma in order to cast shadows.

There are plenty of atmoplanar phenomena sufficient to render utter darkness upon the face of the flat earth plane.

Offline Tim Alphabeaver

• That's no beaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2020, 10:45:42 PM »
You did end up amending your OP to add the word, "apparently endless," as descriptors to your plain and mountain scenario.
I think the meaning of 'empty plain' was quite clear from the OP - the addition of the word 'apparent' seems to be to appease pedants.

There are plenty of atmoplanar phenomena sufficient to render utter darkness upon the face of the flat earth plane.
Ooh, do tell.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 10:49:50 PM by Tim Alphabeaver »
**I move away from the infinite flat plane to breathe in