Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #3480 on: December 30, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »
The only issue with Syria and Russia was the gas pipeline being built. Europe wanted it and Russia didn't. Well guess what, if Europe wants the damn pipeline so bad then how about they start sending a lot more people down there to fight. Sending down a few dozen people to use US assets and pretend they're helping is a joke.

Having Syria helps Russia a lot and it hurts Europe. The US isn't affected. Europe needs to start fighting its own proxy wars instead of begging daddy America to beat up Russia for them.

Not from what I understand.

This civil war was a long time coming and when the French promised weapons to the rebels, they went all out.

Then the french reversed course.  Kinda fucked them over.  And helping fight dictators to liberate the underdogs is kinda what America does.  Especially when it makes oil prices to jump and causes a flood of refugees.

But now the french are there, apparently.  I seem to have lost some info in translation.

The EU and Qatar wanted a natural gas pipeline built through Syria. Assad, backed by Russia, told them no. Then, as if by magic, it was decided that Assad is evil and must be overthrown.

If you haven't noticed, overthrowing dictators is not something that has drastically improved the area. We killed Hussein and we killed Gaddafi. Has Iraq or Libya improved? No. Only more chaos, which is apparently our end goal at this point.

Just check out Central and South America if you want some more examples of the US destroying a nation's stability in the name of "liberating underdogs".

Didn't know about the gas line but it makes sense: Russia supplies a lot of Europe's natural gas supply.  Anyone stopping that is... Well, not their friend.

Assad is bad.  But like all dictators, as long as you don't challenge them or be something they don't like, you're fine.  Stable oppression is better than unstable freedom.  But remember that these situations have alot of players.  Lybia I'm not up to date on but Iraq would be fine if terrorist networks weren't still active.  Saddam kept them in check by virtue of being the terrorist. Not to mention the sunni snd shiite populations that were at peace but now aren't for some reason.

-------
In other news:

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/29/680932809/trump-blames-democrats-for-deaths-of-migrant-kids-as-dhs-secretary-visits-border

If only there was a wall being built (because god knows it wouldn't have been built by now even if it was started january 2017) then those kids would never have tried to cross and thus be alive today.

Which is as stupid as "If only we didn't have/everyone had guns.  Then criminals would never rob or shoot anyone."
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: January 04, 2019, 09:36:19 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/04/681987077/rnc-members-want-to-block-a-primary-challenge-to-trump-but-the-rules-may-stop-th
God, this reads like a cry for help.  "We want to ensure Trump isn't challenged but I mean, he would win completely cause we're all 100% pro-trump so why would we even need to suggest these rules? ha ha ha..."
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: January 06, 2019, 09:11:17 AM »
Also, apparently the shutdown is affexting tax refunds.  So, ya know..... keep that in mind when you see who blinks first.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: January 06, 2019, 05:30:59 PM »
taxation is theft

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: January 06, 2019, 06:53:37 PM »
taxation is theft
I see it as rental fees.  By paying for living in America, you get access to the services provided.  Its no different than any other business.

Of course, they still take taxes but now you can't get any back.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: January 06, 2019, 10:03:30 PM »
By paying for living in America, you get access to the services provided.  Its no different than any other business.
Most businesses won't incarcerate you for choosing not to buy their services.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Rama Set

« Reply #3486 on: January 06, 2019, 10:17:41 PM »
By paying for living in America, you get access to the services provided.  Its no different than any other business.

Yeah, but its not like you are forced to be American...

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: January 07, 2019, 12:55:49 AM »
Yeah, but its not like you are forced to be American...
A fair point for me personally, since I'm not an American citizen - I can just never try to become one. But it's a bit tougher if you're born with just US citizenship. Most western nations will not let you rescind citizenship if it were to render you stateless, so you're most likely looking at moving somewhere else, meeting criteria for permanent residency, then living there for 5-ish years and paying a lot of money to another country, which probably still wants to tax you.

Of course, that's still a relatively good deal given that the US will tax you even if you live and earn outside of the country. But the business analogy doesn't quite work out.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: January 07, 2019, 09:13:40 AM »

True, but they will send in people to collect if you try to skip out on the bill.  Or steal, I suppose, which is what using services without paying is.

After all, if you use a road, you use public services.  Police, fire, not being invaded, all public services.

And the government only incarcerstes for tax fraud, not refusing to file.  And if you have no income, its less of s big deal.

Rama Set

« Reply #3489 on: January 07, 2019, 12:44:16 PM »
The government doesn’t incarcerate for tax evasion?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: January 07, 2019, 01:11:42 PM »
The government doesn’t incarcerate for tax evasion?
Tax evasion, yes.  But only if you lie or owe taxes that you can reasonably pay.

Ex: you owe $1 million in taxes but lost all your income.  No jail.
You lie about having no income: maybe jail.
You file returns with half of your income reported: maybe jail.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: January 07, 2019, 01:54:07 PM »
And the government only incarcerstes for tax fraud, not refusing to file.  And if you have no income, its less of s big deal.

Uhh, dave, not filing your taxes is illegal. You're federally mandated to file tax returns, regardless of how much or how little income you have. This includes you, since last time I checked, you've maintained your American citizenship. In most cases, this won't result in jail, since I doubt you're becoming a drug lord, but it's still a full possibility, especially since you live in a country with full extradition treaties with the US.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 01:56:49 PM by Rushy »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: January 07, 2019, 04:58:46 PM »

Uhh, dave, not filing your taxes is illegal. You're federally mandated to file tax returns, regardless of how much or how little income you have. This includes you, since last time I checked, you've maintained your American citizenship. In most cases, this won't result in jail, since I doubt you're becoming a drug lord, but it's still a full possibility, especially since you live in a country with full extradition treaties with the US.

I am aware.  But they aren't gonna extradite me and throw me in jail because I don't.  They will fine me though.  But unless I'm making like $1 million and not filing taxes and refusing to pay when they catch me, I've little worry.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: January 07, 2019, 05:23:48 PM »
I am aware.  But they aren't gonna extradite me and throw me in jail because I don't.  They will fine me though.  But unless I'm making like $1 million and not filing taxes and refusing to pay when they catch me, I've little worry.

So let me get this straight, you don't file taxes, but you do mail in votes?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: January 07, 2019, 07:12:48 PM »

So let me get this straight, you don't file taxes, but you do mail in votes?

Got it backwards.  I file my taxes and don't vote.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: January 08, 2019, 06:42:26 AM »
Oh hey look: emergency powers being considered for a non-emergency.
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/07/682965555/fact-check-can-trump-use-emergency-powers-to-build-the-wall

Fancy that, eh?

Also, speaking of taxes:
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/07/683006291/despite-70-000-furloughed-irs-workers-white-house-vows-refunds-will-be-issued

No sure how refunds will go out in a timely manner but hey, good luck to them.  On the plus side, no enforcement might be a boon for Trump. XD

totallackey

« Reply #3496 on: January 08, 2019, 11:46:57 AM »
Every President since Carter has declared some form of National Emergency. Obama issued quite a few.

I would say 300 US Citizens dying on a weekly basis as a result of overdose from heroin and/or fentanyl plus those being murdered by illegal immigrants plus the human trafficking constitutes an emergency.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: January 08, 2019, 02:22:28 PM »
Every President since Carter has declared some form of National Emergency. Obama issued quite a few.

I would say 300 US Citizens dying on a weekly basis as a result of overdose from heroin and/or fentanyl plus those being murdered by illegal immigrants plus the human trafficking constitutes an emergency.
I wouldn't.  Way more Americans murder Americans than illegals murdering Americans.

Rama Set

« Reply #3498 on: January 08, 2019, 02:29:59 PM »
The drugs are certainly a problem but I highly doubt a wall will do anything to stop that.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: January 08, 2019, 02:44:16 PM »
I wouldn't.  Way more Americans murder Americans than illegals murdering Americans.

This is only correct as long as you look at the statistics as if "an American is an American". Crime rates skyrocket for poor, uneducated minorities. Guess what kind of people are pouring over the border?

This also isn't just a few people: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration/fy-2018

And this is only the people apprehended, with thousands more making it across the border without being stopped. A wall will help curtail this. Is it a 100% solution? No, nothing short of carpet bombing the border 24 hours a day is a 100% solution, but the wall will help, since most illegal alien entries are on foot.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 02:50:13 PM by Rushy »